Lions Roar
Years ago

Halls/Woollacott winner predictions?

so come on who is going to win what this weekend??

Topic #26158 | Report this topic

witnessed it  
Years ago

Jass foley - if tess had been here all season - she would have.

Carla will do well and jess from centrals.

Reply #327875 | Report this post

witnessed it  
Years ago

sorry should be Jess

Reply #327876 | Report this post

White Dog  
Years ago

Mens Contenders for mine would be;
Tucker
Dowdell
DJ
Holmes
Sullivan
Lycett
Wilson

Reply #327886 | Report this post

triple double  
Years ago

I dont think south won enough games for DJ to win. I also think Dowdell playing only 12 games will hurt his chances.

My tip is Tucker to win it, as he played (and dominated) a full 18 games. Holmes to come in 2nd - Jacob is likely to poll atleast 1 vote in all 14 games he played. He'd be a lock to win it if he played all 18.

Reply #327891 | Report this post

triple double  
Years ago

Also, is Holmes the first guy to lead the league in rebounding and assists?

Reply #327893 | Report this post

stomp  
Years ago

I think Kollasch is a sneaky chance - Could pick up alot of 2 & 1s as Centrals usually didn't get spanked.

Reply #327894 | Report this post

frank grimes jr  
Years ago

Jo Hill to win the halls by an absolute landslide. would have been the first north player to get a look in for votes, and would have got 3 whenever they won. she will romp it in. tomatoes gonna toe mate

Reply #327898 | Report this post

tragic  
Years ago

Between Jess and Jo for my tip both dominant Jo might have less people taking votes from her in her team. Whether North one or lost she was their leading player. Jess played some great games but others had some good days out as well.
Jo Hill to win in a close one.

Reply #327900 | Report this post

Years ago

Women: Jess Mahony
Men: Rashad Tucker

Reply #327918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women: Foley in my opinion in any team would be the best but as her team has done so well, votes may get taken from her. Especially as when they were spanking teams she would get a rest.

Other contenders: jess from centrals, an obvious great season and is a great player but centrals had her carry the ball and run 100% of the time so got noticed alot... on another note, her D is almost better than her O so that could help her. Jo Hill, but only cause she gets noticed and didn't have many vote stealers in her team. Down side was when she was good she was great, but when she was bad she was awful.. Halls should be more consistent than that.
My Money is on Foley though.

Men: The regular vote getters will pole well, Matthews, Wilson early in the season only, Hill (but they lost a stack of the games), Ng, Florence (well no one else did much for them this year), and some west fellas.

Money: Tucker. Pretty consistent ALL year. Played all the games and if wasn't scoring was assisting and rebounding like a boss. Well respected, overall consistent and a great player.. Big reason why forrestville are where they are this year. A deserving winner.

Other contenders: Dj, played 40mins almost every game and went about business as usual and got HIS job done consistently. Disappointing he couldn't help the rest of his team do the same and I think ultimately that may be why he drops out a little. when he had a massive game, south would loose and someone on the other team would have a massive game also,taking the limelight away from his numbers.
Holmes: Will always play consistently and in our league is a work horse. Say what you like about him, he would be on my team any day of the week. Leading rebounds and assists... pretty interesting combo.. surely will pole well.. not sure how many games he played so that could end up hurting him.
Kollasch: BIG dark horse. especially as in the last half of the season, came up pretty big for centrals and got a couple of tripple doubles in there, and centrals did 90% of their winning in the second half. Leading a teams scoring, rebounding and assists all from the point position... has to be worth some poling points..
Norwood: great season and clearly major players.. but with everyone stealing everyones votes... no one will win. Down side to sharing the spotlight. Big fav to win the cup though.

Will be interested to see how it all roles out regardless.. expect to see a more even field than in previous years i think.. but tucker i reckon may sneak in over the line.

Reply #327926 | Report this post

Hey wilson just had a look at cams stats, stay off the drugs, he was down on his career average in most categories , only scored double figures in 7 games, And had 3 team mates with better stats.

I'm sure you love your son very much but pretty sure this year he won't even finish top 10.

And the language from a lady is a little sloppy love .

Reply #327933 | Report this post

Colin jennings  
Years ago

Men: sharon simons

Women: andy simons

Reply #327935 | Report this post

Antrigg jackman  
Years ago

In my opinion it should be rhys daddow or charles newland and in the women katrina evitts withs her numerous double doubles and amy bell

Reply #327936 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Who won? Other award winners?

Reply #328073 | Report this post

surely someone has an i phone or something with web access for a live update ))

Reply #328077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jess Foley & Jacob Holmes took out the top awards.

The crowd behaviour was terrible. People talking throughout the presentations, and annoyingly during speeches.

Not sure how this can be amended but it ruined the night. It seems to be the same culprits each year... Maybe if some of the teams put more effort into training than drinking they would still be playing this this time of year.

Reply #328078 | Report this post

congrats to 2 quality units

Reply #328091 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Let me guess, would it be a rowdy red and blue?? or??

Reply #328094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holmes and foley. Coaches MVP was mahoney and tucker. Two close counts tho. Def disruptive crowds that needed to be quiet during speeches. R

Reply #328101 | Report this post

ballboy  
Years ago

agree with above comment..petulant crowd that showed no respect for the game or past greats..shut-up for 5 minutes and let the count continue in a dignified manner..perhaps put the bar in the foyer and do the count in the ballroom

Reply #328107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Venue and food no way near as good as last year

Reply #328113 | Report this post

what the!  
Years ago

Thought i was at a blue light disco!!!!!!!!!????????

Reply #328129 | Report this post

Callisto 67  
Years ago

Next year I propose this. All clubs are told in advance what the standards of behaviour are and they must address this with their teams. Have a BSA official monitor this on the night and if teams (especially girls teams) still do not comply then ban them the next year, except those invited by BSA who can then sit with their team's officials.

From my point of view I felt like I was on the set of "Ladette to Lady". Mens teams were generally well behaved but some girls teams were absolutely out of control. I was embarassed for them and their club. I felt sorry for Ben, Scott and Brett for having to put up with that rubbish.

Put it back to Adelaide Oval. Much better room and food and general atmosphere. There was no chance to mingle last night because we were packed in like sardines and it was impossible to move.

Reply #328139 | Report this post

Venue  
Years ago

Totally agree on the behavior.
Clubs usually pay for a certain number of tickets, which makes it a Junket. The teams not involved in finals make it a piss up, not a recognition of achievement for the year.

Clubs: Dont buy the tickets and only the players who want to be there will be there.

BSA: Don't include drinks in the price, make them buy drinks and it wont be a free for all.

The same old powerpoint needs a lift, its dull.

I thought the room was good, at least it was warm.

I have attended my last Wollacott

Reply #328141 | Report this post

Callisto 67  
Years ago

Even better idea. Employ ushers for the night who do what ushers do, that is crowd movement and crowd control. If people are too pissed remove them from the venue discreetly during breaks and send them home in a cab. If people are going to behave badly and disrespect those around them and the game like they did last night, then they are removed and/or whole teams are not invited the year after.

Reply #328143 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

arent majority suppose to be adults??? One would have thought far better behaviour......agree some chicks totally disrespectful and just full of themselves!
(and grog)

Reply #328146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Food was shit! Wine was shit!!!

Reply #328147 | Report this post

balance beam  
Years ago

why not ban them and the club responsible for their lack of respect from next years event surely that would bring some decorum back to the event, those there know who they are but a ban or sanctions imposed on the clubs *may* make some pause before embarrasing themselves and their clubs. Some times it is immaturity some times it just plain bad manners.

Reply #328152 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

and wat colors do these ladies wear on the court?

Reply #328161 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

This is really disappointing. This is an evening to honor the best and most outstanding in the league one would expect some decorum and humility from the rest of the players would be appropriate behaviour. Note to BSA - next year make sure a Club official sits at every table with these young things to keep an eye on their behaviour otherwise dont sell tickets to the clubs, and make them buy their own drinks, then it wont be a "free for all"

Reply #328165 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Hang on a sec - The night is not a free for all!
Most of the people attending get the night started at events before the actual woolacott.

The event is a joke - $75 for those who do pay to cover for the hangers-on that don't.
Sure most clubs pay for their teams tickets.
Lucky they do or no one would attend.

Why would you pay $75 for- a 3hr package of
Cheap no name wine / minimum beer.
Sub par food and only 2 courses of it - but you probably get that on the cheapest package the place offers.

Its pretty rude - BSA want to pass it off as celebrating this years ABL.
They speed through the night - and kick you out at 10.01pm.
Thats after all wine/drinks etc are removed from the tables at 9.45pm.

Again using the crap power point presentation combined with the bad speaker system. No wonder the crowd was acting up. Spend a bit more and get a better AV package.

Put some effort into the night BSA.
Its your fault the night of nights for the ABL has become a joke.
Stop doing things on the cheap..

Reply #328182 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"Most of the people attending get the night started at events before the actual woolacott"

that is obviously why the posters this morning are complaing of "loutish" behaviour as they must have fuelled up on alcohol before the event

"The event is a joke - $75 for those who do pay to cover for the hangers-on that don't.
Sure most clubs pay for their teams tickets"

so then why do you say it is not a "free for all" most of the attendees are there at the expense of their respective clubs - so an amount of respectable behaviour should be observed and you are after all representing your "CLUB"

"Why would you pay $75 for- a 3hr package of
Cheap no name wine / minimum beer.
Sub par food and only 2 courses of it - but you probably get that on the cheapest package the place offers."

Suggestion - drop the ticket price charge for food only and make the guests pay for their own alcohol. See how many actually put their hands in their own pockets and buy a drink - and if you turn up drunk you are not admitted either.

"Its pretty rude - BSA want to pass it off as celebrating this years ABL.
They speed through the night - and kick you out at 10.01pm.
Thats after all wine/drinks etc are removed from the tables at 9.45pm"

well if the "Ladies" hadnt got out of hand perhaps they wouldnt have removed the alcohol so early, but it sounds on the surface that many go to drink and get drunk as quick as they can - not a very good way for elite sportspeople to portray the game of basketball. Those in attendance should be role models for responsible drinking.

"Again using the crap power point presentation combined with the bad speaker system. No wonder the crowd was acting up. Spend a bit more and get a better AV package.

Put some effort into the night BSA.
Its your fault the night of nights for the ABL has become a joke.
Stop doing things on the cheap.."

All points that should be taken on board by BSA dont know who organised it and dont care really but change organisers and get some people that know about event management.

Reply #328192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Count system was terrible. No idea of the leader board until they update at the end of 6 rounds which means no excitement or interest in each set of votes as they are read. Should have a running leader board that updates as each vote goes up to make it interesting to listen to and watch (like they do with the Brownlow).
PowerPoint looked so amateur I think my 10 yr old nephew could have done a better job. Basically it just wasn't very interesting which is likely why it wasn't given the attention it deserved from the crowd.
The food and wine was super average too. As a paying attendee I certainly wont be buying a ticket next year based on that package.
Altogether a disappointing way to honour the leagues best performances.

Reply #328208 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Glad I wasn't on the organising committee this year..

Reply #328236 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Glad I wasn't on the organising committee this year..

Reply #328237 | Report this post

not too good  
Years ago

don't make excuses for the crowd behaviour on bad food,wine or lousy powerpoint display. That event could have been twice the price, a million-dollar production and that crowd would still have not been respectful. Scott Ninnis does not deserve any repectful behaviour? Brett Maher hasn't done enough for basketball for you to hold your tongue? The 2 medallists deserve to yell over the incessant din during their acceptance speech?
Their are NO excuses for the disrespectful behaviour to these individuals. It aint BSA's fault that you can't behave.

Reply #328248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The girls were like teenagers. Squealing everytime someone got a vote! Hats off to Norwood and forestville, very quiet on the night. Obviously a class above with something bigger and better to look forward to this week!!!!

Reply #328276 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

All the details from Boti:

AWARD WINNERS
MEN'S LEAGUE

Woollacott Medal: Jacob Holmes, Sturt
Frank Angove Medal: Mitch Creek, South Adelaide
Most Valuable Player: Rashad Tucker, Forestville
All Star Five: Todd Matthews (Norwood), Brad Sullivan (Forestville), Rashad Tucker (Forestville), Jacob Holmes (Sturt), Daniel Johnson (South Adelaide)
Best Defensive Player: Todd Matthews, Norwood
Coach of the Year: Tracy York, North Adelaide
Phil Yuill Memorial Trophy for Referee of the Year: Nathan Durant
Top Woollacott votegetters, by clubs:
Josh Kollasch (Central District) 21, Brad Hill (Eastern) 18, Rashad Tucker (Forestville) 30, Matthew Lycett (North Adelaide) 22, David Cooper (Norwood) 26, Daniel Johnson (South Adelaide) 24, Michael Florance (Southern) 9, Jacob Holmes (Sturt) 36, Jeff Dowdell (West Adelaide) 27, Cameron Wilson (Woodville) 15.

Statistical Award Winners
Top Scorer: Daniel Johnson, South Adelaide 29.1 ppg
Top Field Goal %: Blake Truslove, West Adelaide 55.5%
Top 3 Point %: Shane Breheny, Eastern 43.1%
Top Free Throw %: Tristan Braithwaite, West Adelaide 77.6%
Top Offensive Rebounder: Jeffrey Dowdell, West Adelaide 4.8 orpg
Top Defensive Rebounder: Jacob Holmes, Sturt 12.6 drpg
Top Rebounder: Jacob Holmes, Sturt 15.9 rpg
Top Assists: Jacob Holmes, Sturt 6.9 apg
Top Steals: Todd Matthews, Norwood 3.4 spg
Top Shot Blocker: Daniel Johnson, South Adelaide 3.4 bpg

WOMEN'S LEAGUE
Halls Medal: Jess Foley, Norwood
Merv Harris Medal: Nicole Seekamp, Sturt
Most Valuable Player: Jess Mahony, Central Districts
All Star Five: Jess Mahony (Central Districts), Tess Madgen (Sturt), Jess Foley (Norwood), Jo Hill (North Adelaide), Monique Bowley (Sturt)
Best Defensive Player: Jess Mahony, Central Districts
Coach of the Year: Ben Todd, Central Districts
Phil Yuill Memorial Trophy for Referee of the Year: Vanessa Devlin
Top Halls votegetters, by clubs:
Jess Mahony (Central District) 33, Tracey Beatty (Eastern) 15, Jess Fergus (Forestville) 17, Jo Hill (North Adelaide) 31, Jess Foley (Norwood) 35, Elizabeth Keane (South Adelaide) 18, Madeline Cunningham (Southern) 16, Tess Madgen (Sturt) 28, Nikita Martin (West Adelaide) 29, Ursula Richards (Woodville) 12.

Statistical Award Winners:
Top Scorer: Tess Madgen, Sturt 23.9 ppg
Top Field Goal %: Fiona Perso, Central Districts 58.3%
Top 3 Point %: Georgia Minear, Forestville 40.6%
Top Free Throw %: Nikita-Lee Martin, West Adelaide 83.1%
Top Offensive Rebounder: Elizabeth Keane, South Adelaide 4.0 orpg
Top Defensive Rebounder: Tracey Beatty, Eastern 9.4 drpg
Top Rebounder: Tracey Beatty, Eastern 13.1 rpg
Top Assists: Jess Mahony, Central Districts 9.2 apg
Top Steals: Jess Mahony, Central Districts 3.7 spg
Top Shot Blocker: Tracey Beatty, Eastern 3.1 bpg

Reply #328280 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

How does Cooper get more votes then DJ for the Woollacott medal?

Reply #328302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

coz cooper gives his best every week and does a lot of things unnoticed on stats sheet and doesnt think he is too good for the league and dunks on djs head! and most importantly he helps his team win!! funny the team with no national league players is red hot favourite for the title! Proves getting in nbl players doesnt equal success, just ask south and eastern!

Reply #328307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ is a poor mans Cooper. Cooper could still out perform DJ at National level

Reply #328308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anonymous - are you serious?? So you're saying you'd prefer to have Cooper to DJ in the 36ers, NBL is different to ABL and you'd find Cooper would struggle at that level now and that's why he isn't playing NBL any more. I actually thought Matthews and Andrew Webber contributed a lot to where Norwood are?? and they've played together as a team for a few seasons now - that helps too.

Reply #328319 | Report this post

Lion Lover  
Years ago

Jess Mahony lost the Halls by 2 votes and I just found this:

Round 6 - Centrals vs Southern
Jess Mahony: 15 points, 16 rebounds, 16 assists.
Madeline Cunningham: 9 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists.

Centrals win 74 to 59.

Cunningham got the 3 votes. Luke Smith and Damien Rault clearly got it wrong that game.

Reply #328376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wasn't there, but maybe Jess Mahony gobbed off at the umpires and they voted accordingly?

I'm not saying Mahony's is like that (in fact i've never seen her do it) but maybe she did that game?

I missed out on a B grade footy B&F one year after polling 4 3's - maybe I should tried harder in the other 14 games.

Foley did score 8 x 3 votes (24)...

Reply #328380 | Report this post

keen to duel??  
Years ago

hmm 24 votes and her playing number is 24 coincidence??

Reply #328387 | Report this post

enforcer  
Years ago

frank grimes jr - can you please stop posting outragious balony on this thread, there is a serious matter at hand, and those concerned need to do something about it.

following on... wonder how many people will attend if there is no alcohol????????

Reply #328388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what clubs were disrespectful?

Reply #328406 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

The player with the higher stats should not always get the votes.

Take Norwood for example, Phoebe Custance gives 110% every game, plays beyond exhaustion and closes down some of the big name players.

Because she doesnt star on the stats sheet, she doesnt get votes. I'm sick of seeing refs get box scores after the game and casting votes. They should not be allowed to look at stats to vote, then some more of these '1%'er' players would get more recognition.

Reply #328484 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754