Taibu
Years ago

Patrick Mills signs with Melbourne!

Great news for the NBL with Patty Mills joining the tigers. Absolutely stocked! Very suprising though considering Melbourne has decent guard stocks

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/melbourne-tigers-to-sign-patty-mills-following-nba-lockout/story-e6frfglf-1226124018949

Topic #26169 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well fu*k me, this is EPIC news.....EPIC I tell you!!!! as soon as the 1 day lockout is gone so is Patty, so yeah that EPICness is now gone.

Tigers still favourites for the spoon.

Reply #328102 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

so they have gone from a team full of bigs to a team full of guards, next season it'll be small forwards

Reply #328103 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Great for the NBL no matter which way you look at it. Even if he never suits up it will at least get space in footy crazy Melbourne papers.

Reply #328106 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow! Amazing news indeed...great for the Tigers and great for the NBL.

Tigers have scheduled a media conference for a significant announcement at 11am today - as they are yet to formally announce the signing.

It is believed the deal has been in the works for some time - while Mills has been subject to European offers, Basketball Australia declared it would help NBL clubs sign Mills.

Melbourne Tigers to sign Patty Mills following NBA lockoutMills

Reply #328108 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I am assuming they would have to release a player to fit him in both with the Points and Salary caps

Reply #328110 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

If it's fair and within both the points and salary cap, then great news for the league and Tigers. Sucks to be the other clubs but that's life.

However, reading between the lines ..... which is really difficult on the internet and something my English teacher never taught me so I really have no idea what it means ..... I suspect there's more to this than meets the I in team. Here's hoping the salary cap isn't dead again 'cause the competition was terrific last year.

Reply #328111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is that Tommy Greer broke his ankle at training last week, so that is the spot on the roster Mills will take!

Reply #328112 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

I wonder how the Fat Controller will cover up the cost of this one?????

Reply #328115 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So, Mills playing for Greer's salary?

I wondered this morning if they're just getting him for a few games (to drive up sales) and then will run with a simpler roster from then on?

Either that, or they pay but shift someone out of the roster in which case it could only be an import or Rush (it'd be lunacy to take out a Tragardh or Burston).

Reply #328119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does their fat owner think we'll all believe that he's paying Mills the $50,000 a year Tommy Greer was on? What happens when Greer comes back?
And Mystro, how do they have a team full of guards? They have six forwards and three guards before this signing

Reply #328120 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Remember a Melbourne poster putting something on here a couple of weeks ago saying that Melbourne had signed Mills, so it's obviously been happening now for a while. Good inside knowledge whoever that was!

Reply #328121 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think that was Tiger Watcher?

Reply #328125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Adelaide had managed to sign Mills, I don't think you'd all be worried about the salary cap. It's great that he's signed to play for a team in the NBL and good on the Tigers for doing it.

Reply #328126 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

If Mills is replacing Greer how does that fit in with the points cap? Surely Mills is a 10 and Greer is something less than that??

Reply #328127 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Anon, it was a piss take ;)
Great signing for the league, look forward to hopefully seeing him in action

Reply #328128 | Report this post

tp7  
Years ago

I think you will find that Greer played Saturday night! and played 35mins1 so he cant have broken his ankle at training last week as some have stated!

Reply #328132 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Maybe Mills for Ubaka while he is injured?

Reply #328134 | Report this post

Ain't no G  
Years ago

Even if he had broken his ankle, his salary doesn't magically drop off the books.

Reply #328135 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Mills would be a 10 though wouldnt he, so would have to replace a 10 point player.....I wonder who is going to get the chop?

Reply #328136 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Although this is good for the NBL and Tigers, according to the article on the NBL website there will be "some reshuffling of players" to meet Salary and Points Cap. Which essentially means one or two (or three??) players will be effectively out of work. So unless they move players to the front office to answer phones for 50k+ a year, I am not really sure that this unstable signing can be good for the TIgers.

Reply #328137 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Mills isn't going to bring bigger crowds for the Tigers..
Theres no room for the extra people..

They need to get out of the shed at the State Netball and Hockey Center.

The Breakers are already relocating to Vector Arena--a 12,000 seat stadium
And the Tigers are still using their 3,500 capacity Cage.

Reply #328138 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ain't no G, it drops off the salary cap books. Tigers still have to pay (depending on contract/circumstances/insurance/etc) but it won't count against the cap if the player isn't playing.

Reply #328140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All this talk of Adelaide being Mills preferred destination due to family being from SA and all the rest and this happens..Oh well assuming Chris Warren turns out its a much better long term option and less disruptive option that the Sixers went with. Still good to have Mills in the NBL but annoys the hell out of me that it was as seamus fatpeaks club.

Reply #328145 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers are looking at at least 3 games to be played at Vector Arena in Auckland and the rest will be played at the NSEC. I prefer NSEC as a Basketball venue

Reply #328148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mills signing now offial https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/304370_226979327353964_121283631256868_694464_4089987_n.jpg

Reply #328150 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

I think Mills' family is from Canberra

Reply #328151 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

All I'll say is I told u so, (bout 3-4 weeks ago) also Greer is fine he played on Saturday with Eltham in big v grand final!!

Reply #328156 | Report this post

Concerned NBL Fan  
Years ago

For a BIG signing it hasn't even made Fox Sports News or Aussie Sky News or any of the Free to Air Networks and little to none sporting websites except the Herald Sun and the Tigers Official Website.

If it wern't for hoops I wouldn't have known.

Reply #328160 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

From what I have read on Twitter, the Tigers havnt yet decided who will go to make room for Mills.

Reply #328164 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Lets all get an NBA player! No points or salary cap worries!

Maybe this can be an experiment in favour of the marquee player theory?

I still stand by my argument that as soon as the NBA lockout is over and he bails it will leave a hole that wont be easy to fill and will, in the long run be a negative excercise for the club. The fans that will come for Patty will not stick around long term if the team starts losing as soon as he leaves.

Reply #328168 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tigers points values might be something like this:

Dorsey 10
Ubaka 10
Tragardh 9
Burston 8
Rush 7
Corletto 6
Greer 6
Dillon 5
Walker 4
Lewis 1
---
Total: 66

Max for this season is 70, so the Tigers would need to lose a Greer, Corletto or higher. If it's not Rush or higher, someone half-decent is going to have to come off the bench.

Reply #328169 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

if that's true skip I'd laugh if they cut a few guys for him to only play 2-3 games and head back to Portland.

Reply #328170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pwned, his mums side atleast, is from Ceduna I believe

Reply #328175 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Not the best decision from Mills in my opinion. Should have gone to Europe and got some good game time against some other NBA players...…wont develop anymore here - why do you reckon Gary Ervin wanted a Euro gig so bad.

Good for the league though (but not necessarily Australian Basketball) and fans who will get to see him live! Not good for those players that get ousted so he can play!

When the NBA lockout ends, Mills returns to Portland & the Tigers will have to replace him! Will those players discarded to fit him in still be available, will they want to come back.....interesting times ahead?!

Reply #328177 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

How is Rush a 7?

He was a 9 last ime he was in the league and has being playing in Europe since??

Reply #328181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne basketball fans, now is the time to buy a season ticket to watch one of the best players to ever represent Australia.

A truly one off experience. Join today!:

http://secure.memberdesq.com/index.c...ain&OrgID=4250

Reply #328187 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Should have been signed by Adelaide, once again having Marty Clark has proven no use to bringing us Aussie talent

Reply #328203 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Didn't Marty get you Mitch Creek?

Reply #328209 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Skud, you mean having Marty Clarke as coach has proven no use in opening the purse strings of the owners to overpay for a sideshow attraction that might up and leave at any second when the big show starts again?

Reply #328210 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stephen Weigh?

Reply #328211 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

XY hit the nail on the head with the "sideshow" call.

Reply #328229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a bit of pressure on gleeson if he doesn't win with this team. no NBL team has ever had a current NBA player play for them. i heard corletto got the chop, can anyone confirm this? some more good news to come out of this, i dont like that guy

Reply #328239 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/6905029/patty-mills-portland-trail-blazers-signs-lockout-deal-aussie-club

Reply #328244 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Posted on the NBL Facebook page

"To answer how the Tigers fitted Mills under the points and salary cap, they have chosen not to activate Darryl Corletto, thereby removing his 6 points from the points cap. This left them at 60 points so adding Mills brought them to the 70 point limit. The Tigers have also renegotiated other existing player contracts (as has been done by numerous other teams in recent years) to free up salary cap space to allow them to sign Mills."
- Marc Howard, NBL

Reply #328249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

be interesting to see what kind of numbers he puts up and how many games he plays. I have seen some pretty high estimates so far. I'm gonna sit back, wait and watch lol, should be an entertaining season at least with plenty of highlights for the sports news. 1 guy isn't going to win a championship but he might get his team over the line in a tight contest.

Reply #328259 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

that post was me sorry ^

Reply #328260 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Great management work by the Tigers, cut their longest serving team member, cut everyone elses pay check to accommodate a bench warmer NBA player who is the last spot on a roster team.

Sounds like a sound business decision, they can fill the smallest stadium in the NBL. Awesome!!!

Bring on a 2nd Melbourne team!!! Tigers and their ownership are a bunch of morons!

Reply #328265 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@skip that means they only answered the question of the points cap but what abt the salary cap ?

Reply #328266 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

that post was also me again sorry ^

Reply #328267 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mick, renegotiated contracts. Says in the text skip quoted.

Reply #328271 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

To be honest, is this such a big signing? I mean I dont think he will be as effective in a team that lacks players who share the ball, or spread the floor with shooters.

As good as Patty is, will he be all that effective against a zone defense that won't allow him to penetrate and wont have the shooters around him to support.

I think he will do well, but not the superstar that a lot of people think he will be.

Reply #328274 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Yep anon is right the fact is Patty Mills is at his best when playing team ball. If he tries the one man show nonsense we saw at the world champs he will be found out.

Reply #328301 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Even cutting Corleto I don't think they are playing by the rules, unless he is getting paid peanuts.

Should be good for the NBL I guess.. But terrible move for his career and the Melbourne Tigers.

Reply #328310 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

ok soz.
I'd still be real surprised if they aren't doing the dodgy somewhere along the lines either way.

Reply #328315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet again the Melbourne Tigers find a way to bend the NBL's salary cap rules...

Reply #328325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills is one injury away from a couldve been now.... Shouldve been patient like so many other NBA players and just stayed in shape at worst case. Surely his agent wouldve informed him, long term, the money will come. Dumb move. Well done Mcfat, always seems to get his man, but will go down as one of the worst personalities in bball, so ying and yang there.

Reply #328344 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

So it looks like Corletto has preferred to become a free agent than be a deactivated player. Hope he gets a gig with another NBL team, but also would like to see him back at the Tigers.

It would be nice to see people excited about a starting Boomer returning to the NBL rather than focusing on speculated cap breaches.

Reply #328347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are all excited to see mills play just don't think it's fair how he ends up at the tigers. If the 36ers had 2 imports, balls and then mills I would be asking questions. Tigers have 2 quality well payed imports,rush and trigger.

Reply #328351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to see Melbourne losing a game with that squad now

Reply #328352 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

-'Hard to see Melbourne losing a game with that squad now'

Tragardh-Good player not great, had a shocking 2010/11, cannot play defence and is a shocking passer.

Burston-Ok player at best these days from injuries.

Rush-Not yet done/proven a single thing in the NBL to say he is a better than ok player.

Greer- Simply an average player, that's it!

Dillon-Had an ok 2010/11 after 3 years of nothing.

Walker- young and yet to prove a thing, besides some dunks
Lewis-OK, still learning.
Dorsey-Can he play in this system?
Ubaka-Cannot see him happy with Mills.

Is this a great team? do not yet get to excited kids.

Reply #328357 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Cannot believe some of the comments here. Surely the signing is good for the sport in this country, no matter what team he plays for. Many haters here.

Reply #328413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Not yet done/proven a single thing in the NBL to say he is a better than ok player"
Short memory...

Reply #328416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Is this a great team? do not yet get to excited kids."

But, dad, why should we listen to you when you use 'to' instead of 'too'?

Reply #328417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's great for the nbl. Just not fair on the other teams. The nbl shouldn't help one of the best financial clubs get stronger. How do you think cairns feels they lost 3 players to the tigers due to money.

Reply #328432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is he a great signing, what the hell has this kid ever won? A training singlet?

Reply #328495 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

The comparison with the Kewell sigining in the Melbourne media and by Sheamus McPeak was a little bit embarassing.

Look Mills is a good signing but i'll want to see him prove himself in this league before I make any calls on his value to the league.

Reply #328546 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

edit spelling: Seamus McPeake

Reply #328548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why wouldn't Chewy be happy with the Mills signing, he'll only be playing in the 2 spot instead then. It'll probably be a undersized lineup with Rush/Dorsey playing the 3/4 spot with Trigger at the 5.

Reply #328557 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would start Burston, Rush, Dorsey, Ubaka and Mills myself, just to have big Matty to cover the lack of size in the forwards. The when Tragardh is centre you have Walker as a PF to cover Trigger's lack of athleticism on the boards.

Reply #328560 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Whether or not this is one of the biggest signings, however the deal was done.

This has to be the most significant signing of an Indigenous Australian to the NBL?

Not sure I can think of any others of the top of my head, I'm sure there has been a few?

Reply #328567 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754