Neo
Years ago

State Champs: Are you ready?

With State Championships one month away (and that time including school holidays) I thought it'd be time to start discussion on the subject.

In particular I was curious as to what people thought about their own clubs, teams and even BASA's level of readiness for the event.

BASA:
Once again due to the lateness of the nomination deadline I assume programs will again be a last minute delivery.

The Clubs have again decided to include a 2nd Reserve Grade but have also reintroduced the Under 10's.

Will State games be focused on a few venues or will games be played on a home/away basis?

CLUBS:
Clubs take on responsibility for a 'home' venue for the weekend. Some clubs seem to run their venues much better then others.

How ready is your club?

Has your club completed its nominations?

Does your club consider State Champs an important weekend?

Does your Club aim for a high club standing and does it do extra things to try and make that happen?

TEAMS:
Have individual teams starting looking towards this weekend and are they preparing for it in particular?

There's another issue also. With the current shortage of referees are we even in a position to have a 2nd Reserve Grade on top of Under 10's? Even with help from some Vic refs (who I assume will be returning) no doubt there will be solos around the place. Considering the importance of the event do the powers that be have any plans in place to make sure that doesn't happen?

Lots of questions I'm sure there are many more, just thought I'd start the ball rolling.

Topic #2618 | Report this topic

Pegs  
Years ago

I can almost guarantee that some really good and important games will be ruined because of poor referee decisions.

This may sound like I am having a go at refs - this is not my intent. With some 300 teams playing four to five prelim games and then having finals for the top four, we just simply do not have sufficient good refs to cover these games without running them into the ground. As with all people, when you get tired you make poor decisions.

Simply said, the club reps that voted for three grades and also U/10s should be lined up against a wall and shot!

Sorry for bitching but that is my two bobs worth...

Reply #29425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no U/10 grade at State Champs. Agreed that the reserve 2 grade is a waste of time and merely another BASA money making motivated mistake.

Reply #29426 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

"Does your club consider State Champs an important weekend?"

Isn't this qualifying for the classics...

Secondly if it wasn't important then why would clubs enter it, there are many ohter tournaments, but not many clubs enter all these, so i think clearly you would say by that alone it is pretty important to their development.

Reply #29477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there should be an u10's state champs, it's not fair on them if there isn't. and it should only be for div 1's only, if there is a shortage of refs.

Reply #29494 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

Pegs im not having a go at you but if you feel that strongly about the refs you should pick up a whistle and become one yourself. Show them how to do it.

And i tell you what thats how some people have become refs. I remember that famous quote from Rod Ridley when i learnt to be one, 'I didnt like the refs so i decided to be one myself'.

Reply #29585 | Report this post

Manute's G-String  
Years ago

I have heard along the grapevine that this years seedings for fixtures revolves around the ladder positions after round nine of the summer season - in contrast to previous years. Is this true and if so, where can you find your position on the ladder from that far ago?

Reply #29610 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

I think that if they are short of referees they should only have the div 1's playing. But even if they do there should not be div 3 playing it's just a money spinner and a waste of the refs time, that could be resting up for one of the top games in the sate champs like the div 1 game. No disrespect to the div 3's but it just makes more cents for this to happen this way.

Reply #29614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let the U/10s have a week off.

Reply #29620 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

MGS - is that just for the div 1s? If it is, then it probably makes sense, as they play 10 team competitions, so they'd be taking it from the ladder after everyone has played each other once.

As far as div 2s & 3s go, most of them are 12 team competitions, which fits perfectly into the 11 & 22 week seasons, so hopefully they'd be doing the seedings based on the final summer season ladders.

No idea where you'd be able to find your ladder position though.

Reply #29623 | Report this post

pasadena allstar  
Years ago

keep reserve 2 grade - we were told it would be happening and filled our player's and families heads with it - so they have planned their weekend around it.

same as last year - was good, no u10s

Reply #29711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As far as I know the decision has been made. Even if nominations aren't even due yet. State plus 2 reserve grades PLUS Under 10s

Reply #29712 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Hoop Addict, I believe sportingPulse has ladder positions.

http://www.sportingpulse.com.au

Reply #29713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not for round nine of the summer season it doesn't.

Reply #29714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO UNDER 10's as per last junior committe meeting Tuesday night

Reply #29718 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Yeah ITA, but as anonymous said, not for round 9 of Summer.

Reply #29731 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

my bad.

jus tryin ta help.

Reply #29732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why scrap Under 10's and keep the second Reserve Grade. Sorry but that just defeats the purpose of the event for me. It's the one weekend when clubs are all about winning and focused on the elite in the club. Which isn't a bad thing for one weekend in a year is it? And yet it gets dragged down and turned into a carnival for all to participate and have fun in.

No wonder our juniors are falling behind the other states, peopl simply are too focused on the wrong things when it comes to District basketball.

Reply #29941 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

i agree that we shouldn't scrap Under 10's but saying we are behind other states is an uneducated comment. What grades are we behind in? because I can give you some grades that we are well in front of at a Club level and a State level.

Reply #29955 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

The weekend will be an interesting one. Boys: 1. Sturt
2. West
3. Southern

Reply #29956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look at recent Nationals results. Enough said.

Reply #29959 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Hit the wrong button.

Boys 1. Sturt
2. West
3. Southern
4. Norwood
4. Forestville

Girls 1. North
2. Forestville
3. Sturt
4. Southern
4. Norwood

Overall Champion:

1. North (Just)
2. Sturt
3. Southern
4. Norwood
5. Forestville
6. West
7. Woodville
8. South
9. Eastern
10. Centrals

Top six will be close.

Under 14 Boys 1. West
2. Norwood

Under 14 Girls 1. North
2. Centrals

Reserve Boys: Sturt
Reserve Girls: North
Overall : Sturt

Div 3 Not sure.

I am sure there will be reports and previews on particular grades as we get closer.

Reply #29961 | Report this post

jjj  
Years ago

i agree with bootleg, basa just trying to screw more money out of parents of div 3 kids. And with refs being harder and harder to get, what level of referreeing would div 3's get? our teams parents all said pffffft....when approached about state champs. no one interested any more so we wont be there. would rather have their long weekends to themselves.

Reply #30034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #30051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for 18s it is going to be
Souther
Sturt
Eagles
wOODVILLE
Norwood

Although there coul be upsets

Reply #30053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hate to say it jjj but parents don't make club decisions, the club does!

Reply #30056 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:12 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754