DIv 1 and 2 Finals Winter 2011

Here they are; along with my thoughts.

I have gone for the U10 - U18 div 1 and 2 comps and will look at an overall ranking for the div 3 and below comps. Might even add in the U23 Comp

Boys

Sturt 13/14 92%
Norwood 9/11 81%
Forestville 7/13 53%
West 4/9 44%
Southern 4/11 36%
Eastern 1/6 16%
Centrals 1/7 14%
South 1/9 11%
Woodville 0/11 00%
North 0/10 00%

Girls

Forestville 12/14 85%
Sturt 12/14 85%
West 4/8 50%
Eastern 3/6 50%
Norwood 4/9 44%
Southern 3/9 33%
North 2/10 20%
South 1/6 16%
Centrals 0/7 00%
Woodville 0/5 00%

Overall

Sturt 25/28 89%
Forestville 19/27 70%
Norwood 13/20 65%
West 8/17 47%
Southern 7/20 35%
Eastern 4/12 33%
South 2/15 13%
North 2/20 10%
Centrals 1/14 7%
Woodville 0/16 0%

Sturt: Dare I say they have actually improved a bit. Their only boys team to miss out was in a 3 way tie. And their girls are at least matching Forestville. Overall, clearly out in front.

(In the World game they would be the US. Dominant in the guys and as a club nearly undeatable. Dominant in the girls, but beatable. And maybe have a similar arogance)

Forestville: Girls have slipped only a little, and only back as far a Sturt. Boys are a bit all voer the place. Some good, some over perform and some underperform. By weight of number of teams, and the girls success, in front of Norwood.

(In the World game they would be Russia. Up and down in the guys, with good results evey now and then. But the girls are always in the hunt for the gold)

Norwood: Boys are doing really well, maybe not a lot of GF victories, but certainly challenging. Girls are a bit different. Couple of good teams and the rest ont in the hunt.

(In the World game they would be Spain. Guys challenging for gold but might not be expected to win. Girls team have some good players, but not necessarily good results)

West: Consistant over both programs. Some teams around the final 4 that didn't quite make it. Have probably made back some ground with Southern, being top of the next group behind the big 3.

(In the World game might just be France. Some great players, but maybe not the depth. Or something gets in the way, or they just lose their S$#t when it matters)

Southern: As we have seen on here, lots of bark, but not as much bite. Two really good teams and a couple of OK teams, and then some shockers. Will be interesting to see how many teams make GF's.

(In the World game I'm going with Greece here. Ok results and have done well in the past, more so in the guys. But way too emotional and get themsleves into trouble)

Eastern: Im going to include them in the 2nd tier. Mainly because they ahave some pretty good teams that may win the GF. When they are good, they are very good. When they are bad they are horrid.

(In the world game, I'm going with Brazil. Its a bit out fo the way from the regular baskettball powers, and is a bit untamed. Often have a very good player, see: Schmidt, Oscar. But more often than not can have a lousy result.)

South: May have stopped the rot this year in the boys. But the girls seem to be in some trouble with only 6 teams. Will be interesting to see if they can keep it together. They would be in the lower bracket.

(In the World game, I'm going with Nigeria. Had some results in the past. But could easily not been seen for a number of year because of mistakes they have made and where they are situated.)

North: I am sure Marv Harris would not be happy. How the mighty have fallen. For all those who talk cycles, North are certainly on their downward cycle. I would think it has more to do with not replacing Dean Kinsman and losing a whole bunch of coaches than just the nature of things. I wonder if buying that ABA Championship a few years back was worth it? Surely being in the lower bracket means "Heads will roll!"

(Im gonna go with Croatia here. Looking at their World Rankings, I just gotta say. How are a country with that much success in the past sitting 19th and 54th? Lucky for the Heads of North that "Heads will roll" takes on an entirely different meaning here.

Centrals: Although they have made great strides, it doesnt mean they aer out of the wilderness just yet. No girls teams made the finals and boys programs are largely made up of country kids making team consistancy difficult. That said, they have improved. And I'm sure they have had some success in the past, I just cant remember when.

(World game relative would be Ukraine. Both Mens and Womens rankings are up. But doesn't mena they will be playing in anything meaningful soon.)

Woodville: Have really hit rock bottom. They look to be buzzing a couple of years ago, but have dropped the ball lately. Not sure what to say as it would only be kicking sand into the already open scars.

(Have to go with Algeria for the World game reative. Mens down 24 spots and the women down 12 spot and both looking like they need a mirricle to become relevent again.)

Hope to have an overall club award with U23 and div 3 and below for later in the week. After the final round of the U23 comp.

Topic #26182 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not too fussed about the % of teams making finals as an indicator of how teams have improved or not but moreso how they have changed from year to year. Things don't change overnight so a continual improvement or decline is more of an indicator how a club overall is performing.

What is more alarming is the number of teams each club has in Div 1 and Div 2. Bearing in mind that in Div 2 some clubs can have two teams but nevertheless if we assume that each club should have a Div 1 and Div 2 team in each grade they should have 10 teams. In boys 40% of all clubs have on average are not represented in all age groups in Div1 and Div 2.

On the girls side this increases to 70% with only 3 clubs, Sturt, Forestville and North fully represented. These same three clubs are the only clubs having full representation across boys and girls Div 1 and Div 2.

From a basketball health perspective I would be more concerned about this.

Reply #328473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't say much for next year eliminating the second side in Div 2.

Basically one hard game a year if you take out the second team.

Reply #328481 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I attended the Forestville junior trials last weekend and was astounded at how many non-Forestville kids were seeking a spot. And we're not just talking U12s here - but U16s and U18s so I assume they are looking to transfer from other Clubs. I would imagine that Sturt and Norwood would be facing the same situation.

And it's not just financial resources that make the top 3 Clubs strong. Without belittling the efforts of volunteers at other Clubs, the top 3 just seem to have large numbers of talented and dedicated people who donate signficant time and energy to their juniors. Who can blame parents for wanting their kids to be a part of that?

Reply #328506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why do kids return after a year or two at being at the so called big three??

Reply #328508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why do kids return after a year or two at being at the so called big three??

Reply #328509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the same reasons kids return to play div 2/3 at the big clubs after having left to play div 1 at one of the weak clubs? People want different things from their basketball experience.

Reply #328512 | Report this post

o  
Years ago

Thanks stats room, I enjoyed that!

Reply #328522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone ttalks about the big three but what criteria are you using?

Div 1 only - Under 10 to 23's

Strurt top then Forestville have 8, West Adelaide 8, Southern 7 and Norwood 6.

Looks like Southern and West in top 4 and not Norwood.

Reply #328527 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The criteria is not the ladder the criteria is the amount of members and teams throughout the whole club u10' to seniors/ABA

Reply #328534 | Report this post

I thought that the criteria I used was on the top of the page.

Didnt say it was anything other than what it is. For div 1 and 2 juniors. From U10 to U18. Will do a U10 to U23 all club wrap up hopefully by Fridy, but that is a lot more involved.

Reply #328539 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

A great summary of the past season,good work.

Reply #328544 | Report this post

europa  
Years ago

#527, please, don't insult our intelligence by claiming Southern as one of the top clubs.

Reply #328551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few of the kids are from Norwood to Forrestville Anon ?

Reply #328554 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Stats Room - didnt mean to confuse - yes I understand your criteria - I thought they were referring to the Big 3 as is often spoken about on Hoops which would be also the same as your Overall top clubs

"So why do kids return after a year or two at being at the so called big three??

eg
Sturt
Forestville
Norwood

Reply #328563 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sorry I didn't mean my post (506) to be a gloat about some clubs over others.

Meant to say that I would like to see the effort and non-financial resourcing repeated across all clubs and that this, rather than zoning, was the best way to get some balance across the metro area. Whether more government and BSA finances need to be devoted to some areas over others (for junior development programs) to make this happen is another question, but at the moment the playing field looks pretty uneven.

In the end those parents (and their kids) who have the means, will go where they think the best options for success and development are and the numbers show that the options they are prepared to consider are pretty limited at the moment. The future of basketball in SA relies on us presenting more options rather than less for all parents, regardless of where they live.

Reply #328572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hear hear 328572!

Reply #328575 | Report this post

Triton 80  
Years ago

anon,

Surely that is the responsibility of the clubs. All clubs have the ability to utilise their resources and push them where they wanr.

You cant expect BSA to come in and spend thousands of dollars on clubs that spend their time, effort and resources in trying to win ABA Championships.

if you look at South. They had a very successful 90's, winning or competeing for Championships. but this has come at a massive cost to their junior program. But that was thier choice.

I would find it to be a bit wasteful for BSA to come in now and spend money trying to prop them up when history shows that if they get back to 50 teams, they will just take all the money from these teams and spend it in their senior program again.

Same could be said for Woodville and Eastern. Both won ABA championships at great expense, but at what long term cost?

A systyem where all clubs recieve money based on criteria that set a long term goal of development is more appropriate.

Give clubs an incentive to do the right thing, rather than say 'here is some money and resources because you have been blatantly bad and spending in the past' would be better.

Reply #328625 | Report this post

Triton 80  
Years ago

Looking back on it. You might put North in that basket as well.

Reply #328636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Triton people move on.

The people at South who made those financial decisions moved on 10+ years ago. Clubs evolve as families leave the sport and new ones take their place.

BSA are and have for over 5 years spent resources in development and increasing participating numbers. Problem is BSA have only done it in certain areas. Those ares are the same areas that are now the strongest in regards to numbers.

Southern, Sturt, Forestville, Norwood ... Four clubs whom have done a lot of work in their own right but also been supported by BSA development staff.

BSA have in fact done the opposite of what was suggested above in that they've helped the clubs most resourced to become stronger while Woodville, South and North shrink and become weaker.

Partly due to lack of skill and talent in their coaching ranks and administrations but also because BSA is helping the clubs around them.

Reply #328638 | Report this post

Triton 80  
Years ago

Pretty sure Sturt have not been helped by BSA in any way.

They dont have a miniball comp at PAS.

They didnt have a stadium for 18 months when the old one burnt down.

They didnt have pas for 9 month due to the floors.

THey didnt have the canteen for 3 years while the school and BSA ran it at a loss.

The BSA JDO's have not given them 1 player, it has been their own club that has done that, along with coach development.

WHat do you think BSA has done for Sturt exactly

Reply #328639 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

All Clubs have a golden run, some longer than others. A significant input determining a club strength is the strength of the volunteers at the club, with the parents not willing to positively contribute to the club being the leeches that eventually suck the life out of the club.

I say show me a club with an excess of volunteers and I'll show you a club that is successful because "things just happen". Show me a club where you can't even get parents to score on game night and I'll show you a club in trouble.

If ALL parents volunteered in some capacity at their club be it on the Committee, Fundraising, Team Manager - the list goes on, for just a fraction of the years while their child is active at the club, then they would be pleasantly surprised at how much more successful their club would be. When selfish parents leave it to a few conscientious parents, then eventually the cycle of doom starts.

Basketball is like all sports/hobbies/pastimes. You are always going to get swings and roundabouts with who is the strongest and who is the weakest. The issue is that it makes no sense to have a very large gap between the strongest and the weakest.

Reply #328641 | Report this post

Triton 80  
Years ago

So how do you reward the "weak" for past decisions without enabiling them with the notion that. "Hey doesn't matter, if we do the wrong thing again, BSA will just come in and bail us out again"?

Reply #328644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are miniball games at Pasadena.

BSA aren't to blame for the stadium buring down. And they did have a stadium, they used Forestville Stadium until Pasadena was built, at a cost to BASA.

State Government closed Pasadena down not BSA. BSA helpd fund the new courts to get Pasadena open again.

A lot of clubs don't have Canteens. They have a club rooms which a lot of clubs don't have. Did Sturt build it? Do Sturt pay for the space? They have a club office within a BSA managed venue, unlike most other clubs. They do have a Canteen which Woodville, Norwood, Centrals don't have. Along with Forestville they get income from all junior finals, all major events such as SAPSASA, Masters games etc bcause of location not because they contribute.

BSA JDO's actively increase basketball interest in the area through school holiday camps, in school clinics etc. Just because a JDO hasn't personally provided the club with contact details doesn't mean they haven't helped. And do you know for a fact that no JDO has passed on Sturt's contact details to an interested family? No because it has happened many times over the years.

At least sturt have had JDO's working in their local area. Has North? Has South?

Sturt do a lot of work, I don't despute that. But they haven't done it all on their own.

Reply #328645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better to have that gap than to even it out by dropping the standard of the strongest down to the levels of the weakest.

Reply #328646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you justify the JDOs not sending any players out to ALL of the clubs - which they don't - then you are trying to defend the indefensible.
Another example of BSA selfishness.

Reply #328647 | Report this post

Triton 80  
Years ago

There are miniball games, but only overflow from Marion. This term I believe that there are 4 games on a Monday.

Sturt didnt have Forestville for the whole of the time between CLG burning down and Pas being built. Only for 18month out of 3 years. And BSA still received rent from the club over that period.

BSA fixed the courts so that they could make money, not for the club to use. Because the club does not make any money from the stadium.

Sturt acutally paid for the bar and office space to be built at Pas, with the insurance they received from the club room burning down at CLG. And they took over the running of the canteen after 3 years of the stadium being built because DECS was losing $5k per year running it, and didnt want to continue. That is a cost Sturt now takes as a part of the canteen. Do other clubs want to pay for that? Or pay for their own bar and/or canteen.

Sturt makes no income from junior finals. All that money goes to BSA, just like at other stadiums.

BSA JDO's do not place kids into clubs. They are actively pushing kids into their own programs that are competeing with club programs. It hasn't happened, and a past JDO will be more than willing to let you know that he was specifically told to NOT pass on club info to any people.

Reply #328648 | Report this post

G.....T  
Years ago

Junior players move back after 2 or so years because they are not as good as their parents think that they are.

Are these kids really playing for their own enjoyment
or to satisfy their parents egos?

A tall U12 div 1 player moves into being a small first year U14 and so on through the grades. Playing Div 1 as a second year does not mean that you will play Div 1 in the next grade up.

Reply #328651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Triton, Sturt may not make make money through finals but do make money through the canteen.

Reply #328653 | Report this post

Triton 80  
Years ago

Which loses $5K, because it must be open to servie the school which has about 250 kids total and must only serve appropriate food to them.

Reply #328654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JDO's job is to get kids interested in Basketball. Sure for the immediate future it is to BSA's benefit by encourage schools to place teams in their MiniBall programs. By having a larger quantity of children playing in a venue, makes it easier to transition these kids from MiniBall to District programs through effective advertising and communication at MiniBall level.

JDO's dont go out with the intent to get children into playing District immediatley. As this may alienate them from the sport due to trainings,fees,etc. The idea is to get the kids interested in Basketball, increase overall participation numbers, and then those kids and families that want to go the next level, have that option.

Quantity = Quality.

Anyone who says that the JDO's arent worthwhile in getting kids interested in Basketball, has a short sighted one eyed vision for their Clubs World Takeover.

In a sport that is struggling as much as Basketball is in this state, the more kids playing the game has a significant longer term benefit.

Stop thinking of yourselves.
Stop being part of the problem.
Start encouraging all kids to participate at all levels.

Think about the sports long term future, not this seasons finals and how good it feels to gloat on a keyboard warriors forum heaven, and actually try and do something productive for a change.

Anon #647;

BSA's selfishness by employing JDO's to promote the sport in local schools, provide children with sporting fun and healthy alternatives. Spending thousands of dollars getting children into Basketball, so that District clubs can have more opportunity to recruit players and run succesful clubs. I am not saying that JDO's move kids straight into District Basketball or Mini Ball, however create sport awareness and more opportunities for kids to play. See note above about short sighted one eye vision.

Many retail businesses spend millions of dollars on advertising to get people to walk into their store, and not a competitor. It is then the job of the sales staff to ensure that these people are sold to.

How succesful would a computer store be advertising only one computer, which happens to be the most expensive but is also the best, would every customer buy one?

The answer is no. Just about everybody owns a computer, but not everybody wants the best one out.
They need to cater for all customers, who want the cheapest of the cheap, to the most expensive. This is why they advertise many different models.

Compare it to Basketball. If all that was offered was District Basketball, would the playing numbers be the same? No.

We need to think about the overall sport of Basketball, not just at the parental-ego driven District competition.

Reply #328663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Sturt took on a canteen that they knew lost $5000 a year ? and again still make plenty through finals and carnivals etc.

Reply #328672 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

So where are the results of these activities? What are the KPI's and have they been met? Playing nice and sitting round the camps fire singing 'kombyah' is getting the sport nowhere.

The main problem with your logic is that BSA hasn't seen and incresae in either miniball, nor district.

In fact district numbes have been steadily decreasing for the past 5 years, to a point where some clubs may not exist soon. It will be too late for them to "reap the benefits' of the JDO's.

The clubs provide BSA with over $1M. If they let theis cash cow die, who will fund the sport?

In every other state, clubs run domestic assocations. Why dont we here? Why has BSA spent 5 years having meetings, making promises and leading everyone concerned on to believe that domestic models were coming. Becaseu without it, there will be no transfer from miniball to district.

Reply #328675 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

SOOK!

Term for "cry baby" or "whiner". One who sulks.
A person who whinges a lot. Cries about nothing.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sook

Reply #328676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So with that logic BSA should stop JDO's going to schools, stop any advertising for Basketball, and this will grow the sport?

Trust me 'Really' I completley agree with the fact that the association model is the best way to go, however my concern is with the financially struggling, and poor buisness-minded clubs destroying the sport all together.

Action needs to be taken, but until there is faith in some clubs ability to operate a Basketball business, it will not happen.

Reply #328677 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

They should have a much more KPI based model for kids getting involved in the sport, rather than the the look at how many kids we made contact with. It should be look how many kids came to aussie hoops and domestic competitions.

And if they dont meet their targets, heads should roll. If you cant show what you are doing is making an impact, you need to focus on those things that do make an impact.

And, they should work with those club ready to move forward, and the surlus of domestic competitions should be shared so that it can be used to assist other clubs in their modeling.

This might be the necessary incentive clubs need to get their act together, do it and you will get more money.

But, BSA will scrap association model, because once they generate income from them running it themselves, they will use it to employ more people. And the competitions will never be handed over to the clubs because BSA wont be able to "afford it" and therefore we will never get to association model.

And for all those watching at home, this will be what comes back from the $90K survey they just did.

Reply #328684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really,

I agree with most you have said but we need to get the KPI's correct. As I see it BSA drags cash from the District competition and use it to go in search of new players at the social or rec centre levels just to achieve a good KPI.

It seems to me that if this sounds wrong then the objectives and goals signed off by the Commission are also wrong.

I am guessing that state team costs and SASI/high performance is a huge cost drain on BSA and may get worse with the future removal of Government support for SASI (due to not delivering results. Is there a KPI in this area or does it just run itself as it sees fit. Have you noticed the recent increase in action in this area following the SASI announcement!!

Reply #328690 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

anon,

At the moment that would be partially true. BSA take the money from clubs and are putting it into programs that make BSA more money.

Why would the commission want anything else but for them to make money. They have no direct interest is how the clubs do as they do not have an true understanding of how the sport runs and are trying to create other revenue streams so that they dont need the clubs anymore.

This is because country and church have 5 out of 8 votes on the council and therefore are able to dominate the direction of BSA.

Reply #328692 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:01 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754