Anonymous
Years ago

Bogut To Follow Mills To NBL

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/bogut-may-join-mills-in-the-nbl-20110829-1jid9.html

Topic #26188 | Report this topic

BALLER#3  
Years ago

He didnt say he would play, he said he would consider it. I think that if all he wants is insurance, a club should really think about signing him. instant boost for the club, league and basketball in Australia!

Reply #328603 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

lol... yeah, $60 million worth of insurance, isn't it? There's how many people in Australia that could afford that and how many of them are that keen on basketball? ;)

Reply #328606 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

His insurance would not cost 60 million. The insurance would be FOR 60 million but the actual cost of the insurance would be millions upon millions less.

Reply #328610 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I just saw something on the herald sun website stating his insurance premium is estimated to be 500 000. BA or someone else pays half of the insurance and the club signing him pats half and the NBL gets a huge amount from just having him on a team!

Reply #328611 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

hey if tigers can do it, so can we, move out the way wade. lol

Reply #328615 | Report this post

Richard Arthur II  
Years ago

Although the bogeyman is from Victoria, the Tigers are out of the equation, unless seamus cuts his pie budget in which he could buy the Miami Heat. He'll end up on the glitter strip in a Blaze outfit.

Reply #328616 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yeah, the insurance premium for Bogut is estimated to be $500,000.

Would love to see the big fella play in the NBL - now that would draw some serious publicity for the NBL, above and beyond what Mills will provide.

Reply #328618 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

There is only 1 team he will consider playing for & that is the Tigers just due to his family connections.

Plus the Tigers are the only team with the financial clout off the court to pay the insurance bill to make it happen, but realistically it won't as risk Vs reward is to little!

If Bogut is to play outside of the NBA I think it would more than likely be in Croatia where he also has a profile.

Reply #328621 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Tigers to announce signing this week.

Next week they announce Kobe Bryant and Lebron James too!

They renegotiated some players contracts to negative $12000000 so they could fit these players under the cap. Smart accounting, NBL approved.

Reply #328627 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

On a serious note, get Bogut involved with ONE, He has done commentating before but might have been foxtel?
Weekly highlight and recap show, and when the NBA Lockout is over, he can still have a segment on the show "live from USA" or something to keep the viewers he bought in the first place interested.

Reply #328628 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

alexrad, it was with ONE and think it would be a good idea. Would you have to pay the whole $500000 or would it be a month by month think, just in cast the lock out finished?

Reply #328630 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

He would almost certainly go to Sydney to maximise his marketing potential (with Mills having filled the gap in Melbourne).

TBH, I would be quite happy to see him in the NBL even if it meant the 36ers would be worse off competitively.

Having the kind of spectacle he and Mills would bring to the NBL, you couldn't pass it up if you're a fan of the sport.

Reply #328632 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

He would almost certainly go to Sydney to maximise his marketing potential (with Mills having filled the gap in Melbourne).

TBH, I would be quite happy to see him in the NBL even if it meant the 36ers would be worse off competitively.

Having the kind of spectacle he and Mills would bring to the NBL, you couldn't pass it up if you're a fan of the sport.

Reply #328633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should pay his own insurance .

Reply #328649 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

as agreed with Anony- he earns millions for a season!!!!!surely he can pay for his own one off insuranc ethan rely on outsider to pay for him.Bogut wont play NBL here!!!!!

Reply #328655 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

as agreed with Anony- he earns millions for a season!!!!!surely he can pay for his own one off insuranc ethan rely on outsider to pay for him.Bogut wont play NBL here!!!!!

Reply #328656 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

Reply #328657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As if Bogut would pay $500,000. what would he earn? $150,000??? and risk getting injured.
Would you pay $10,000 dollars to fly to europe for a job that pays $200 euro a week? IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #328659 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Why should he pay his own insurance?

I guess observer if you were on holidays youd happily pay a small %age of your normal salary to go work for another copmpany for free?

Get real!

Reply #328660 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

So not only should he take a pay cut to play in the NBL, it should COST him money?

I'm sure you've made the same offer to your employer....

Reply #328661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I smell BA trying to get an NBL club to pay the insurance to offset the boomers cost

Reply #328664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprising his insurance is only $500k to be honest, considering his injury history. He is one fall on the elbow away from a major injury reoccurring.

Im a made keen 6ers fan, BUT i want the league to survive, id pray he went to the Kings, as this would secure an abundant amount of $$$ for Basketball in Aus. If the Kings can have decent crowds and perform like they did for most of last season, imagine the positive vibe in the harbour city with him! Larry Sengstock has a chance to show some testicles with this one...

Reply #328668 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Would you pay $10,000 dollars to fly to europe for a job that pays $200 euro a week? IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!"

Yeah I would..It's called an O.E.
Idiot.

Reply #328673 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Bogut shouldn't have to pay his own insurance though.
You just used a bad comparison to convey what you were saying and I was simply picking up on it.

Reply #328674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

getting bogut to the NBL would be a bigger deal than getting patty mills. he's a borderline all-star and was number 1 pick. i live in melbourne but would love to see him in a kings uniform

Reply #328685 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If an NBL club, BA and a sponsor of Bogut for the year could split the cost then it becomes a lot more affordable and he can play for the Boomers and in the NBL. Prob too late to work that one out though.

Reply #328689 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Would be great for the NBL, but right now it really looks like a colossal lost opportunity, with nearly all roster spots filled league wide. Still, I thought it was too late for Mills to get a gig too, so here's hoping I'm wrong again!

Reply #328700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut jjust posted this on his twitter and facebook accounts. "This is going to be a very exciting September! So many announcements coming up this month. Stay posted!" No idea if this is related to anything regarding the NBL but just posting if anyone is interested.

Reply #328704 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i'm kinda thinking that bogut will be starting for the boomers v nz......that is step 1....from there, who ever kicks in for his insurance,he will play for in the nbl.
this is about B.A, they will be doing whatever they can to get him in the green and gold for the upcoming series.
i hope between them all,they can get bogut on the floor.

Reply #328716 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I'd have to agree with the "Pot calling the Kettle Black" comment earlier on.

If someone wants to write down on paper a full outline of getting Bogut without breaching anything (considering the flak at the start of the Mills signing) then just send it to the Sixers and get the ball rolling.

Honestly, I don't really care if he plays here; it's all about getting attendance up around the league. If he can play anywhere in this leage, it's awesome.

Reply #328760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Macdub what's an o.e?

Reply #328797 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_experience

Didn't realize it was strictly a NZ term.

Basically, if your in your 20s, you go on an OE to Europe or America--Its a whole lot of fun: drinking, girls, watching sporting events.

And whilst on your OE, you generally don't work or work for something small (such as 200 euro a week).

Reply #328816 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:06 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754