Anonymous
Years ago

Lockout = Exciting Times for Basketball in Oz

Has there ever been a more exciting time for basketball in Oz!? Well, in a way. Before you say "theres an NBA lockout and its the NBL offseason, dickhead", hear me out. I'm talking off the court and announcement/speculation/possibility wise. The lockout has generated the following potential things/possibilities for fans in Aus:

Mills playing in NBL (now a reality, obviously)

NBA Exhibition games in Australia possibly, featuring Rose/CP3/Kobe/Pau and so on

Bogut playing in NBL (has said is very intrigued & wouldn't be after cash, just insurance)

Mills alone is an enormous boost for the game here, but if the second 2 come true, this really could be the true reemergence of basketball in Australia. While I expect we’ll get more out of this than just banter, at the very least this will have given us all sorts of exciting prospects to talk about during a lockout/NBL offseason. This lockout may well deliver us with things which no one thought possible for a second. Also, if these three things happen and are a success (I expect they would be) it could result in the NBA remembering about friggin Australia as a market to pay attention to and we could NBA pre season games here well in the future.

Bogut also posted on twitter that we should expect some exciting announcements this month and Mills Portland teammate Wes Mathews is tweeting that he wants to come to Australia to play (although the latter is probably just twitter banter).

Topic #26196 | Report this topic

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Whilst you're talking about pie in the sky tweets, you should perhaps include Kyrie Irving's tweet to Bogut about giving the Boomers the one-two punch in London.

Reply #328801 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

only exciting if you can get a season out of them, if you spend all that cash and only get 4-5 games, was it really worth it especially with the disruption to your team

Reply #328809 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I doubt Melbourne are paying a season worth at once. More likely to be a monthly thing, as happens with most imports AFAIK.

Fans (and even local players) will mostly talk about season-long salaries but if you listen to clubs/GMs talk about imports, they will usually be quoting monthly figures.

Reply #328812 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree Isaac. Agents tend to advertise their (international) players on a per month basis. Locals tend to be signed to yearly deals given their higher job security.

Reply #328817 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Mystro, the way I look at it, even if you DON'T get value for money because they only play a handful of games, its worth finding out isn't it? I'd love to see Bogut play in the NBL for any team. It'd be awesome to see him live and much closer than you'd ever be likely to in the NBA.

Wes Matthews would be good to see as well - he would put up some serious numbers in the NBL!

Reply #328822 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

If bogut and mills only play a handful of games it will still be a great thing for the NBL.

Alot of people will go to games purely because of bogut and mills playing but surely a percentage of these people will return after they leave because they liked what they saw!

Reply #328826 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Beantown, a handful of games would be good to compare where some guys are at compared to the Nba guys, apart from that I think the Nbl is a good strong competitive league anyway.

Reply #328845 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

One of the best things that could ever happen for the NBL would be to have some NBA guys play and play well but not dominate, to show the basketball cynics that this league is pretty good. That would win some of the NBA-only fans over.

If Mills absolutely tears the league up with ease (which I dont think will happen but at least we should find out) and then goes back to playing 12mpg for Portland, those fans will continue to disrespect the NBL and little will have been gained long term.

Reply #328849 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I saw a snippet advertising a Mills interview on ABC24's 'Contact Sport' tonight, where the interviewer's final question was to the effect:

'So how many points per game do expect to be putting up in the NBL?'

Mills was reasonably circumspect saying something like:

'I don't know, I've never played in the NBL before' (although it looked like he was thinking about saying something less modest).

Reply #328853 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Bogut is iching to play Wednesday.
Bendat's insurance should cover that.

Reply #328854 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I can't see Mills doing much more than Ervin.

Reply #328867 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, but that's quite a bit, Ervin was one of the best players in the competition. I think Mills will be a slightly better (and quicker) version of Bruton in his first year in Wollongong.

As for Bogut, he will dominate, I wouldnt be surprised if he averaged over 30p and 15-20r. The Wildcat shooters should be practising because theyll get plenty of looks if the Bogey Man comes to town!

Reply #328872 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

The problem is Paul they don't have too many shooters

Reply #328875 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's true, that's why I said they should be practising!!

Reply #328879 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Paul, last time I saw Bogut play the Tallblacks, his numbers weren't anything like 30/15-20 from memory (I tried to find a box score but failed) and as the Breakers are pretty much the same team plus CJ and 2 Imports (1 decent and one untested) what ever team he plays for will be playing against much the same team minus Penney. So I'm at a loss as to why people think he is going to absolutely dominate the league for scoring when Penney who is a great scorer averaged just over 20 a game? I'm sure he'll have a few big scoring games against some weaker opposition but to say he is going to average 10 points more than Penney and Ervin per game I find a bit amusing.

Reply #328895 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

about the same, a couple less or a couple more would be believable but 10 is wee stretch. If I'm wrong I'll gladly apologize but in a 40 minute game I don't think I'll have to ;)

Reply #328897 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Memory tells me that the last time Bogut played NZ was in 2006? He is a completely different player now. He is probably the third best centre in the NBA with strength, athleticism and versatility on a 7 foot frame. I love and respect the level of the NBL as much as almost anyone, but if Bogut isnt a dominant force I'd be very surprised.

Penney is a superstar, no question, but the league is filled with very good players at the 1,2 and 3 who could compete on the world stage, making his job in the NBL tough. We have some good 4/5s too, but few genuine 5s who can match Bogut’s overall package. Most NBA teams struggle to negate him, so 30 and 15 in the NBL isnt really that much of a stretch.

Reply #328900 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

My guess. He'll be a 20 and 12rebs and 4ast man. Guys will double down forcing the ball out.

Reply #328901 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I can't argue with that Paul, well said.

I'm picking around what Flinders80 has estimated.

Reply #328945 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Let's just hope he plays, would be great! I would estimate 27p, 15r, 5a and 3b. I think he would be like Shaq was in his prime, though obviously with a different type of game.

One thing that could affect his numbers if at Perth is they wouldnt run everything through him, they would run their normal stuff so they arent completely dependent on him and then the lockout ends and he is gone.

Reply #328955 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Teams like the Breakers have strong smaller guys that can shoot the 3 or mid range J and will try to create mismatches on him defensively. Offensively he will cause some teams big problems but defensively he would be used to guarding NBA sized Centres not so much our PF's playing Centre so a few guys may have a better run against him.
I hope we get a chance to see Julian Khazzouh Vs Bogut so we can see where Khazzouh is at, as he was fairly dominant last season.

Reply #328959 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:05 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754