realist
Years ago

Why so much pressure on kids?

Why is this sport so demanding,the pressure on kids is strange,take your boys out to a Footy game and see the difference,I shit you not.these 10 year olds put their body on the line,and the coaches appreciate it and tell em.you knobs get pissed at a missed layup.grow up and get some decent personable coaches looking after your little treasures.

Topic #26212 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Please explain?

You sound like a miffed parent over a specific issue. Why not tell us all about it?

Reply #329023 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

How can you be so sure that every single person coaching basketball is so unpersonable. And how can you be so sure that every single person coaching Aussie rules is so personable.

I am more than certain that I can find at least one example in basketball and football that strongly disagrees with you. In fact, I'm pretty sure I could find many examples.

As a junior I left two footy clubs because they had coaches you couldn't please... That would take every opportunity to throw abuse at you. The message I'd send to coaches would be to think about what and how you say things.

As an ex-coach having been on the other side the message I'd send to players and parents is if you are unhappy with the coaches treatment, approach them. 99% of the time they don't mean anything by it and will make appropriate adjustments.If nothing happens look elsewhere.

The message I have to the thread starter is not to generalise. There are good coaches examples of coaches and bad examples of coaches in EVERY sport. Don't criticise the many for the few which deserve such criticism. The vast majority of coaches are volunteers which are doing for the best interest of the kids, back off of them!

Reply #329024 | Report this post

stirer  
Years ago

Unfortunately

Also heard of some pretty bad coaching experiences in cricket as well

Believe it or not

Reply #329027 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

sometimes these little 'treasures' need to be yelled at !!
it's similar to those parents that blame the school teacher because their kid is dumb......

Reply #329073 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think some people also get confused with coaches "yelling". Just because they are sometimes very loud, doesn't mean they are being negative. In fact in most cases they are probably shouting out instrcutions or encouragement!

If you aren't happy - take the time to approach the coach - not immediately after the game either - and ask to have a chat about a concern you have. If there is a problem, the coach probably isn't even aware of it. Let them know and you will probably find that if there was a problem or misunderstanding, it will all be sorted out.

But I also agree with skull - sometimes the little tackers do need a does of reality from time to time, but care is required on how to do it.

Reply #329224 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Because parents are damaged goods.

Reply #329374 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

the other thing is.....

"just make the lay up buddy and we wouldn't be having this conversation"

Reply #329401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My son was a talented footballer now plays div 1 BBall and wont look at footy because of an abusive coach. All sports have problem coach's.

Reply #329411 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Good point all the talk about kids moving is due to lack of quality coaches. Good point how many people move from BBall to Football for the the same reason.

I am glad your son has a good coach now and enjoying sport again.

Reply #329455 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:43 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754