drose
Years ago

Could a local club play SEABL and CABL?

After watching both SEABL games this season and the recent CABL Grand Finals I wondered if it was possible for one of the bigger clubs to play both?

The gap between NBL/WNBL and CABL is huge now considering the changes made over recent years with salary caps, more focus on juniors, lack of sponsorships, less NBL/WNBL players etc.

Surely one of the bigger clubs could see great reward in playing at a higher level then CABL can offer?

I heard the 36ers were close to competing in SEABL this year, any news if they plan to play in 2012?

I'd love to see a Buffalos type team in SEABL again or even a local club play in the competition which is clearly a step above that of the CABL.

Topic #26236 | Report this topic

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Would be great to see a team/club take the step up to play SEABL as it really is a cut above CABL.

Hopefully it happens but in the end it all comes down to $$$ and unfortunately I just can't see it happening.

Reply #329438 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Many people recognise SEABL as the next tier up and the tier down from NBL as well as the premier league across Australia.

The ABL programme at each club draws a massive amount of money from the club. I would expect the budget for a SEABL programme to be a couple of times more than the ABL. The question of travel comes into it as well. Does each club contribute a fee to equalise the travel for all teams, or does each team pay for their own travel costs?

I would expect that with 13 away games, a budget of $5 - 10K per away game would be needed to cover accommodation, air fares, meals etc for 10 players + coaches + physio + team manager. Probably could spent $65 to 130K in travel alone. Would current SEABL teams be willing to absorb this cost, or increase their travel budget? With higher salaries, what size budget would be needed?

Given the association sizes of the current teams playing are generally more than BSA, I would suggest that the cost of the SEABL team per association player is relatively small. For a single Adelaide club to play in the SEABL, the cost may be too restrictive without sponsorship from a reliable source.

That then begs the option of a combined BSA team. Could it occur? Could the individual club politics be put to one side?

Alternatively, how about the ultimate pro/rel where the winner of the CABL from one year represents Adelaide in the SEABL the year after?

Reply #329452 | Report this post

Triton 80  
Years ago

No because as you rightly pointed out, no SA clubs can afford it.

Cost of each road trip would be $10k minimum (It would generally be 2 nights accomodation). 5 road trips would mean $50K. Then training court hire, player salaries, uniforms and game night costs would mean it would be about $100K.

You would also need at least 1 import to win even 1 game and that would set you back another $30K minimum.

ALL clubs in SA would go broke after 1 season.

And finally, what actualy benfit would it give to the club? You wouldnt get a sponsor just because you are now in SEABL. You wouldnt get more fans to games. You wouldnt get more juniors into the club. So there is no real financial benefit to offset the $15k0 it would cost for playing.

Whay would the 36ers or BSA do it. BSA can hardly afford the money and the 36ers wouldn't get any 'new' players from it. Just like they didnt get anyone from the academy.

Reply #329456 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

A combined BSA team would be interesting if finances would allow,would there be a fan base for a team like this or would it flop in the first season?come on Villie we will eat more pies,lets do this(hint for sponsor)!

Reply #329459 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

It was tried before with the Buffaloes and also a women's team The Opals. I believe that it was too expensive then and I imagine it would be more expensive now. To be competitive the team would need TWO imports to be on a level playing field with SEABL teams. As previously stated what would be gained?

Reply #329520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I once heard that the travel related equalisation cost for each club is closer to 200k. Add in coach costs, import costs, local player costs etc etc and you would be looking say at 300-400k for what real benefit.

Reply #329525 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:49 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754