Tiger Woodduck
Years ago

Preliminery Finals - Div 1

Who remains to fight it out in Under 10 through to Under 23 in Division 1.

Sturt 12/12
Southern 6/12
Norwood 5/12
Forestville 5/12
West Adelaide 3/12
Mavericks 3/12
North 1/12
South 1/12

Centrals and Woodville not represented.

No judgements here just the facts.

Topic #26239 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why no judgements Tiger?

Afraid you might end up with egg on your face?

Reply #329465 | Report this post

Sorry for not having finished my full club report. More complex than expected.

Here are the results for Div 1 and 2 juniors. ie U18's and below

Sturt 25 teams still in finals
Forestville 14 teams still in finals
Norwood 10 teams still in finals
Southern 8 teams still in finals
West 4 teams still in finals
Eastern 3 teams still in finals
North 2 teams still in finals
South 1 team still in finals

Hopefully be back later with a full club wrap from U23 down.

Reply #329466 | Report this post

Tiger Woodduck  
Years ago

Anon.

It is what it is! Tigers have the second most number of teams still in the finals behind Sturt.

You can make what you want from it.

Many would say good job and a vast improvement on past seasons.

What do you think?

Reply #329471 | Report this post

Vodka 47  
Years ago

Are you a masochist TW? Didn't you get enough last week when you trotted out your selective statistics? We know you want to say that your beloved Tigers are the second best club, so say it. Come on, you know you want to. LOL LMAO

Reply #329472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One could argue that it really shows some good recruiting into some teams only.

U14 boys brought in 2 country kids.

U18 girls are about half recruited.

U12 girls were best team in U10s and are going backwards.

U10s doesnt really matter as it purely shows who gets more kids in early. What is done with them matters more.

And finally, that looking at div 1 and div 2 is a more accurate show of depth for a club.

Reply #329477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U12 girls and 18 boys are nearly all first years

Country kids came to the club, weren't recruited

But dont let facts get in the way

Reply #329499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the point is more that the team has improved because of its personnel, rather than development of the kids already there.

For what it's worth, I have a kid in that grade (not in a team close to finals) and to me Southern have done exceptionally well, and the kids HAVE improved, it hasn't JUST been the addition of new kids.

I think all 3 teams left have had great years and I'm glad they'll be representing SA at nationals, as they've consistently been the best teams for the past 12 months.

I'm not sure that I could pick a winner of Friday's contest, but I think whoever wins will take it right up to Sturt in the final, but I think Sturt's finals experience should get them through.

Reply #329506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last post is talking about U14 boys.. I should have stated that!

Reply #329511 | Report this post

supprter  
Years ago

Looking at the big picture , it is not a good result for basketball in the SA.

The fact that South, North, Woodville, Eastern have limited invovlement in finals is not good for the future growth of basketball in SA.

To have a growing comp there should be an even spread of teams in the finals.

These clubs are in a similar situation to Port Adelaide. Lack the resources to make any major steps forward to compete .

Just look at the stadiums they operate from.

Reply #329527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just look at the stadiums they operate from

Stadiums? Then why aren't Centrals a powerhouse in SA Basketball? Their venue is probably the best in the state! Woodville weren't dominating when they were at the Dome. West who are right up there (esp in the boys grades) have one of the worst stadiums in the comp.

Some of those clubs have the resources, they just CHOOSE to spend them in different areas - in a lot of cases, ABA.

Reply #329529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL! and here we go again...

Reply #329531 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Agree that when it comes to juniors Div 1 AND Div 2 results together are a far better indicator of depth of talent than Div 1 alone, particularly when some clubs have 2 teams in Div 2.

However, I don't think that the strength of the performance of some clubs over others in the top 2 grades necessarily says anything about the health of the competition in general. Top players and coaches are attracted to the top clubs - it's always been that way, in all sports.

And thanks to the Stats Room for the updates - much appreciated.

Reply #329532 | Report this post

Granymede 89  
Years ago

And if stadiums are the main criteria. How did North do so well for all those year out of Hillcrest?

Probably has more to do with having Dean Kinsman than the stadium.

Just like Sturt, Forestville and Norwood having full time JDO's and doing well. And Southern doing the same an showing improvement in the first year.

Reply #329537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

southerns JDO has resigned so see what happens now

Reply #329538 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Top players and coaches are attracted to the top clubs

I will never coach at sturt!!!!

Reply #329539 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"Me" so wat u saying is yo r not a top coach?

Reply #329541 | Report this post

Ex Pres  
Years ago

The biggest move in the last three years across all Divisions and age group sin Boys is Norwood.They actually rank Number 1 , Sturt 2 and Forestville 3

In Girls, It is Sturt 1, Forestville 2 and Norwood a distant 3

This is based on 3 years data , with finishing top getting you 5 , 2nd 4 down to 1 for 5th

The biggest moves downwards are North from 3rd to 8th in 3 years in Boys, along with Woodville which is now the bottom club in rankings in SA and the merger with TV Cougars has done nothing on the court for either club.

BSA needs to get a move along with building a good stadium in the Northern burbs and do it soon, or make mergers happen and stop the decline in numbers and performance.

Clubs that have controlled spending in some areas and invested in others are reaping rewards and players and parents are going to these clubs.

Promo/ Relo wont fix anything from BSA point of view, as in some grades they have 8 teams and three from one club.

In the Div 1 /2 comp, the strong are stronger and the smaller clubs are falling away alarmingly.

The next issue id the parents that belong to big clubs, but never get to train or play at their home venue, but that is for another thread someday.

All of the above is based on results, it is not a cheap shot, but the actual data.

Is BSA doing anything with their every growing JDO's to help out or is someone still preparing worthl;ess reports that mean nothing to anyone outside BSA offices.

The top club is not the State Champion of 2 grades over 4 days. When will BSA make that change for all players and parents in this state.

Look how the ABA GF was run on Saturday night, and you can see why Basketball is not going ahead in our state

Reply #329548 | Report this post

History Nazi  
Years ago

hey Ex Pres im interested to know (stat-wise) what is the rating of all the clubs for both boys and girls

Reply #329552 | Report this post

Ex Pres  
Years ago

Based on the points system

115pts Sturt
100pts Forestville
93 pts Norwood
52 pts Southern
50 pts West
49 pts Magic
26 pts South
25 pts North
18 pts Eastern
10 pts Centrals
5 pts Woodville

Easy to check, just through every age group and between girls and boys U10 to U18 ( u23 now seniors) and add them up to check

Big issue is sport is going now where under current management
No new courts
No sponsors
No JDO's getting weaker clubs strong
No plans to improve ABA
Loss of Govt support for an OOD SASI debarcle
State Teams not good

Happy to discuss

Reply #329556 | Report this post

Ex Pres  
Years ago

ps....Basketball is about all players of all ability, not just Div 1/2

Sturt will always be strong in boys and Forestville is girls when they can dominate Div 2

The Div 2 boys comp is not Div 2 standard

Why not force clubs to merge and make it a better comp?
Netball took some tough calls , wore some heat, and fixed a problem.

Reply #329558 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

How has netball fixed a problem when one of the teams they left in the top grade won one game and had a percentage of 55.92?

Reply #329560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ex Pres,

That favours clubs with more teams, not necessarily better teams. You get 5 points for top in div 5 under a pro/rel system where bottom in div 4 is actually a higher position.

As for netball team that was left out has moved back in?

And one that got in on "political" decisions didnt meet the criterea where as one that missed out convered all of them.

Reply #329564 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"Div 2 boys comp is not Div 2 standard."

Got a link to that standard?

No wonder you're an EX-Pres with a broad generalisation like that.

Reply #329568 | Report this post

Ex Pres  
Years ago

Anon 329 658

I did it for a few years and got sick of idiots like you.

If you think a Div 2 Standard when teams have no chance to win is a good standard, I think i know why you write on posts like this.....

The reason you do it across all grades and age groups, is because the clubs that take on players of all levels, need to be rewarded for finding coaches, team mangers, venues to train and programs they run.
Thats why some kids are happy playin gin lower divisions...

I rest my case

Reply #329711 | Report this post

Ex Pres  
Years ago

Anon 329 658

I did it for a few years and got sick of idiots like you.

If you think a Div 2 Standard when teams have no chance to win is a good standard, I think i know why you write on posts like this.....

The reason you do it across all grades and age groups, is because the clubs that take on players of all levels, need to be rewarded for finding coaches, team mangers, venues to train and programs they run.
Thats why some kids are happy playin gin lower divisions...

I rest my case

Reply #329712 | Report this post

Europa 16  
Years ago

Ex Pres, you and Tiger Woodduck are joint winners of the Manipulating Statistics to Support Your Own Beliefs Award 2011.

To quote writer Andrew Lang, "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lampposts - for support rather than for illumination.".

There is only one "points system" that is worth using and that is the official one used at State Championships every year. Every other one is a lamppost to lean on.

Reply #329715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ex Pres,

I agree that it should be rewarded, but in an elite district comeptition surely success at Div 1 should be weighted more than at Div 5?

Same as ABA should be weighted more than Div 4 seniors.

Not saying it isnt important, just not as important. Having the current pro/rel makes cross analysis somewhat harder as getting a correct assesment for what is a div 5 GF worth compared to a Div 1 GF.

Otherwsie Western Magic could win every div 3 and 4 final and below and therefore claim to be the most successful club in SA and the Champion Club.

Reply #329730 | Report this post

Mr Stats  
Years ago

Based on U10 to U18 boys from winter season.

(Club, ladder position, win %, game %)
Sturt, 2.2, 82%, 182%
Southern, 3.6, 68%, 121%
Norwood, 4.0, 60%, 124%
West, 4.2, 64%, 108%
Forestville, 4.4, 57%, 104%
Eastern, 5.5, 56%, 97%
Centrals, 6.8, 36%, 81%
Woodville, 7.2, 29%, 79%
North, 7.6, 26%, 76%
South, 8.2, 20%, 67%

To win 82% of all games played (74 out of 90) is an impressive achievement from Sturt.

Reply #329731 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:37 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754