Isaac
Years ago

Corey Webster sent home; breach of contract?

Tall Blacks guard Corey Webster has been sent home from Australia ahead of tonight's first match of the Olympic basketball qualifying series.

It's understood there has been a breach of contract, and Basketball New Zealand chief executive Tim Hamilton confirmed to Fairfax Media the talented guard has been sent home.

Webster has been in trouble before. He was banned for two months for cannabis use in last year, missing the 2010 world championships.

If the offence is a similar one, Webster could face a ban of up to two years, which would end his contract at the New Zealand Breakers.
Source

Topic #26240 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

I suppose a lot of things could result in a breach of conduct..both minor and major.

You would have to think it would be major however, if he was sent home immediately.

Could be drugs, alcohol-related, possibly even assault, etc.

Reply #329484 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Some of the Boomers were drug tested after training on Tuesday. Were any of the NZ players tested?

Reply #329488 | Report this post

NDSmith  
Years ago

No issues of assault or anything of that nature. But the Tallblacks were drug tested as well as the Australians........

Reply #329492 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cory's like roll that shit light that shit smoke that shit

Reply #329508 | Report this post

NDSmith  
Years ago

Well now Cory's going to be like.........FIRED

Reply #329515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

puff puff pass

Reply #329522 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Pretty easy to defend...he only passes to the left hand side ;)

Reply #329528 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Yeah he never Fu@ks up the rotation

Reply #329546 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

But he's great at the Pick and Roll...at least, the roll bit ;)

Reply #329551 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Gone down in a blaze of glory.

Webster should know that smoking stunts your growth.

Reply #329553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i heard gold coast is interested if the breakers drop him. because they're the blaze. ah that was terrible, sorry guys

Reply #329559 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

That's okay, anon. Our expectations are pretty high... ;)

Reply #329561 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Kronicly bad joke there.

Reply #329563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He suffers from chronic fatigue

Reply #329635 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

Whole new meaning to "floating to the rim". He can pick, and roll, but then does he 'light it up'.

Reply #329643 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

LOL guys... looks like the Tall Blacks took some leaf out of Corey's pipe and got smoked themselves tonight!

Reply #329645 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

u guys are hilarious

Reply #329647 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If it is drug related Breakers will fire him on the spot. Lindsay Tait?

Reply #329685 | Report this post

Webster - another child star who's fallen into substance abuse... :(

Reply #329701 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

"Whachoo talkin' 'bout, Pickles ex-housemate?"

Hang on, I'm mixing up my Afro-American child stars.

Actually, now that I think about it, Corey is probably more like JJ from Good Times.

JJ...LOL

"Dy-no-mite!"

Reply #329709 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Mystro, Boit is talking up Corletto in is article today. Said he was about to move to Cairns then got a better offer from the Breakers.

Reply #329721 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Thanks Big Sexy, great news. More than happy to have Corletto @ the Breakers. Brings experience to the table and I rate him higher than Tait @ NBL level.

Reply #329734 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Asked about suggestions of a failed drugs test in Perth, Clarke said: "I'm not sure if that's what it's for, I still haven't had official confirmation."

ANBL spokesman Marc Howard said the league had no "information suggesting there has been a breach".
BBNZ chief executive Tim Hamilton said his organisation had conducted an investigation into "some issues surrounding Corey" and it was found he had not lived up to the responsibilities of being a Tall Black.
Maybe didn't fail an official test, but turned up to training under the influence or admitted to it under questioning?

Reply #329763 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yeah hard to say, few people who know what happened have made statements about him but not what happened as they are waiting for BBNZ to release the details to the media.

Reply #329765 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Asked about suggestions of a failed drugs test in Perth, Clarke said: "I'm not sure if that's what it's for, I still haven't had official confirmation."

Isaac, do you know when Webster was in Perth?
I assume that drug test was a while ago? i.e. During the NBL?

Reply #329806 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think so. There was the test that hit the media, then an alleged failed test during the season, plus this latest breach of contract. The full article probably outlines it a little better.

Reply #329808 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

apparently the breach of contract was for failing to notify BBNZ and Tallblacks coaching staff of the positive test in Perth. He tested positive for Kronik (a synthetic cannabis substitute which was at the time legal in NZ and sold over the counter of convenience stores and in no way performance enhancing but still is on the World Anti-Doping Agency list of banned substances)in Perth.
Cory has told media that he will defend himself at a hearing of the Australian Sports Tribunal and will claim to have unknowingly taken the substance.

Reply #329863 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #329881 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

dickel to breakers

Reply #329888 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Dickel, stuff that especially after his on court behavior.
Taits ok but I'm pretty keen on Corletto

Reply #329894 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Webster has vowed to fight the charge.

But IMO he should just accept it and deal with the consequences.

Sure Corey, what you took wasn't illegal and it wasn't performance-enhancing (actually the opposite effect) but its still a banned substance.

He is saying he "will claim to have unknowingly taken the substance"

What did the dog give it to you? At the end of the day, athletes need to take better responsibility for their actions.

Reply #330138 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

I LOLed at that claim as well. What, he didn't know it was Kronic, he thought it was real mull? Or maybe his Mum gave it to him as a weight loss product?

Reply #330145 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

He will continue to mull over the charge...

Reply #330150 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

And so the puns continue!

Well, if he does get banned, he'll have plenty of time to work on his J ;)

Reply #330153 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Only if he intends to roll up...

Reply #330173 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And he will probably say he never inhaled...

Reply #330179 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

His 'J' is already in the bag. Needs to work on defence and public relations a bit more!

Reply #330193 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

haven't heard anything about him hogging the J in local media so sounds like a solid team player

Reply #330222 | Report this post

Lrt  
Years ago

Theres not an ounce of truth to the allegations of him being weeded out of the breakers system, I'm green with envy given the opportunity he's been given.

Reply #388872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You've been thinking of that one for over a year now?

Reply #388883 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

still brings a smile

Reply #483742 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754