Frontrow
Years ago

NBA Game experience

Just wondering, to those who have been lucky enough to attend a NBA game, did it live up to expectations, who did you see and do you have any lasting memories from it?

Topic #26260 | Report this topic

Avv  
Years ago

I saw Knicks v Blazers towards the end of the 06/07 season at the Garden. Both teams were at the bottom at that stage and didnt have much to play for.

Schenscher was on the Blazers roster at that time. Spent more time in awe of the Garden than watching the game itself really.

Reply #329887 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Saw Lakers V Clippers when Lakers were in their prime with Shaq and the game was over by quarter time, the Clippers managed to set an NBA record for least field goals in the first half of an NBA game with 2.

Reply #329893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I went to Clippers v Pacers at Staples Center in 09. Clippers were missing players such as Baron Davis, Chris Kaman and Marcus Camby while Pacers were missing Danny Granger so pretty much had no 'star' players playing..

Game experience was pretty good though, then-rookie Eric Gordon lit up for 35 points while Clippers led the entire game to then lose on a tjford(?) jumper near the buzzer.

Reply #329896 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Went to Lakers v Suns @ Staples in 01 I think - went to OT, Kobe had 40, Marbury had 40 and Shaq was amazing!!! Sat next to a young guy from Mexico who had saved up all year to go to that game!

2 nights later went to Lakers v Kings @ Staples - my fave team at the time as I love Chris Webber. I wore my Webber singlet and got pelted with beer cups, pretzels, rubbish etc as i walked in - LOVED IT

Earlier this year i went to Game 5 of the Magic v Hawks First Round of the Playoffs @ Amway. Dwight only had 8 points i think but had a nice dunk on Zaza. Brand new stadium with an AMAZING big screen! Saw Usher & Akon there the next night.

Reply #329903 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

I saw Lakers v Mavs in 2008, went into OT and Kobe had 52pts.

Would have gone double OT, but Kidd missed a FT with 2 secs left to tie it again.

Loved it. It can only be described as a spectacle. Its hard to put your finger on why though.

I think its a mixture of things. So many die hard NBA fans in one building. The love of the game in the air. The calibre of players you're watching. The fact that you may be seeing your idols in the flesh for the first time. But its mainly having so many people in one place, who live and breathe the game.

Unfortunately, until the NBL gets that level of love for the game from more of the public, than those who already have it, it will never live up the event that is an NBA game.

Reply #329906 | Report this post

Boomer  
Years ago

It does really matter when you go. It was always a great experience attending games in Sacramento in the old days (2002- 2004) loved those Kings. Recently went in March/ April of this year saw some good games and some boring ones. I agree with the comment about looking at the stadiums rather than a boring game. It is amazing to sit there and think about the history of Madison Square Gardens and Arch Arena. When I got bored I would walk around the arenas and check things out. You have to get lucky sometimes or watch a team that plays an attractive style eg. Golden State, Clippers or Phoenix

Reply #329907 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Any tips on the best venues? I may be headed to the US in a month or so and for the first time the NBA may be running at the same time. Last two trips were NY and West Coast both out of NBA season.

Areas we could be covering are West Coast again, probably Chicago, and then whatever else we can fit in between.

Reply #329909 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Separate Note: I went to a WNBA game New York Liberty vs Atlanta Dream at the Garden.

Opinion: The game and entertainment was so much better than attending a NBL game. Roughly the same amount of attendance just a much better/professional entertainment piece. Did help that the game was close the whole way through.

Reply #329910 | Report this post

MM  
Years ago

Back in 2009 was lucky enough to see two games Golden State vs Boston and Golden State vs Charlotte. Boston game was the better of the two just because Golden State won and it was much closer and the stadium was packed and Warriors fans can make a bit of noise. The Charlotte game was a bit of a let down because Charlote blew Warriors away early and it was never close, I think the fans enjoyed Stephen Jackson putting on a show (it was his return game to Oakland after the Warriors had traded him away) to be honest the enjoyable part was the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 time shows.
One think I noticed was the staff knew how to move alot of people efficently and quickly, if you needed help there was a cheerful well mannered person there to help from the carpark all the way to your seats. I was in awe of the size of the Oracle Arena.
My opinion it was great.
Meanwhile my parents went and watch Detroit vs New York at Maddison Square Gardens (back in 2003 or 04 or earlier) and my Dad feel asleep?????
I think it depends on who the team is playing and how the game goes, the most enjoyable time I had was at a baseball game at AT&T park Giants vs San Diego and the pitcher threw a 'no-hitter' game (first in like 30 years for the Giants) and the place was just crazy

Reply #329911 | Report this post

JackO  
Years ago

Agree with the points above.

It's the entertainment during timeouts/halftime etc which really set it apart from the NBL experience.

With how intimate basketball stadiums are, especially here in Australia, NBL venues really need to do a better job of utilising a roaming camera and the JumboTron's to get the fans involved.

Reply #329912 | Report this post

Devo  
Years ago

Went to Magic - Lakers game in Orlando last year.
Great spectacle. Really geared for fans.
All sorts of activities outside before going into stadium. Lots of activities inside as well.
Now have a new stadium which would be state of the art.
Kobe scored 29 and had what would have been the winning shot rim out with 1 second to go.
Worth the $100 it cost me to go.

Reply #329914 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Saw Miami v T Woves in Miami in 2003. It was about the 8th game of the season and Wade's rookie year, I'd never heard of him but in the 4th quarter he took over and almost got Miami over the line. Think Haslem might have been a rookie that season too.

This was the season KG won league MVP and he was clearly a cut above everyone else on the court, his midrange game was totally unstoppable.

I got nose bleed seats but got there so early I was able to sneak into the expensive seats (maybe 8 rows back) to watch warm ups. As the stadium filled up I thought I'd try my luck staying put and hoping no one came and took my seat. Luckily no one did so for $10 I was 8 rows back watching a league MVP in the form of his life.

Reply #329918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back in 2006 I went to Lakers Vs Sonics (Kobe's first game as #24) and also went to Knicks Vs Cavs and Knicks Vs Wizards at MSG.

MSG Atmosphere is 100 times better than LA in my opinion. The knicks fans are funny to, it was like the 10th game of the season no one cared about the Knicks already! All they wanted to see was Lebron, they even booed every player in their starting lineup in the intro's. The only two players the fans liked were Jamal Crawford, nate Robinson and David Lee.

Such a great experience and hope to go back again soon!

Reply #329919 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Devo - the new Orlando Stadium is AMAZING! State of the art - i'll post links to videos i took of the arena and big screen.

Isaac - See if you can get to Orlando. To me it felt like a really big Gold Coast. Great beaches, lots of amusement parks, lots of night life and good food

Reply #329923 | Report this post

I managed to get to Miami v Thunder in March (in Miami) and Warriors v Kings in San Fran (well, Oakland technically).

Miami was full of bandwagoners, as you'd probably expect, but was a decent game and great to see the big 3 take on Durantula and Westbrook. Also went to a club night hosted by Westbrook and Harden after the game which was pretty funny.

Definitely preferred the Warriors game- such an awesome, friendly crowd and brilliant atmosphere. Tyreke, Cousins, Curry, Ellis and Lee provided PLENTY of highlights, and it was a really close game. Also, we were only 20 rows back and the tickets were just $70. Definitely recommend it.

Definitely try to get to these cities too- so different but amazing in their own ways. Miami is so glitzy it makes LA look normal.

Reply #329936 | Report this post

Bullsfan  
Years ago

Its great, but try catch 2-3 games minimum because your first will go soo quickly and you will be craving for more.

I been to..

Knicks @ Bulls Dec 2008 - As a diehard Bulls fan I loved seeing a rookie Derrick Rose with Ben Gordon in the backcourt. Bulls won late.. Q Rich had a massive alley in that game for the Knicks.

Clippers @ Bulls Dec 2010 - Blake Griffin was a monster, we lost by a point after Rose only made 1 from 2 with 0.1 secs to go from the FT line.

Mavericks @ Heat Dec 2010 - Got to see the three assholes lose on their own court. Lebron had a shit game which was great. Cost me a fortune to get good seats for me and my missus to this game. Never would have believed that it was a preview of the NBA finals for the season.

Bulls @ Knicks Christmas day 2010 - Midday game at the garden.. we bloody lost though which sucked. Imagine going to see your team and they lose both games. I think Amare had 5 massive blocks.. highlight was D Rose spinning on a dime at full speed and schooling Felton. Mind you Felton played great that game. MSG is a very average arena, definately the worst out of the three I have been to (United Center, American Airlines Arena and MSG - Also been to Staples to see ice hockey in 2008).. though they are making improvements this year apparently.

Reply #330000 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Went to see the Rockets back when Hakeem and Clyde Drexler were playing. Atmosphere in Houston was pretty hyped. I'd have to say though that college games have way better atmosphere, especially the smaller stadiums.

Reply #330038 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

wow - showing my age here: Went to Lakers - sonics at the forum in mid 90s. Payton-Kemp and Kobe's first year. 3 quarters of average basketball spent celebrity spotting and one quarter of very entertaining hoops with the game on the line.

Reply #330294 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I've never been to the State's, so I can't personally comment. However my brother went earlier this year and saw Melo's first game as a Knick in NYC. He said it was the best buzz ever and MSG went off! How's that for pure luck?!

Reply #330298 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Saw a game in Boston Garden at the end of the 2007 season. It was the end of a poor season for Boston. Allen and KG were still four months from being traded to Boston, Pierce had shut it down for the season and young guns like Big Al were also out injured, so the game wasn't great.

Like another poster said above though, the game didn't really matter, I was just stoked to be there and to have a look around at all the history before the game. Great atmos and let me tell you, it is REALLY worth spending the extra cash to get within a reasonable distance of the court (think we were about 20 rows back).

Next trip I will have more choice about when I am in the US and will be making sure I go during either the playoffs or earlier in the season so I can see some more meaningful games though!

Reply #330309 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:59 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754