bogut
Years ago

best basketball player to never play nba?

Nominations....?

Topic #26269 | Report this topic

nz4eva  
Years ago

kirk penny

Reply #330048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oscar Schmidt....next question

Reply #330050 | Report this post

Neers  
Years ago

OScar Schmidt..........easy!

Reply #330051 | Report this post

Triton16  
Years ago

Len Bias or Earl Manigault

Reply #330052 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Oscar for mine.

Reply #330054 | Report this post

showtime  
Years ago

maybe change this to best International player, then it would be a 2 horse race....

Oscar and our very own Andrew Gaze

Or would it?

Reply #330055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze had a run in the NBA

Reply #330058 | Report this post

showtime  
Years ago

ok, maybe i should have said in my post

"Best International player"
Played in a International competition
Also may have played in the NBA

Reply #330059 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Showtime - that then opens the door to Ginobli, Petrovich, Sabonis or any number of elite players who had more team success internationally than Gaze or Schmidt. Then there's guys like Nash who singlehandedly lead Canada over Australia in 2000 Olympics but didn't have the same storied international career because his team mates always sucked.

No - I think the initial "best never to play NBA" is a better, more easily defined question.

Reply #330065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oscar Schmidt by a country mile.

Reply #330066 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

1. Oscar Schmidt (easily)
2. Rimas Kurtinaitis

Reply #330074 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Bill Murray

Reply #330078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oscar or Nikos Galis.

Reply #330079 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Cheryl Miller

Reply #330080 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Probably need to define eras because it's difficult comparing generations. Also, does the ABA count?

If you include the ABA as being part of the NBA (which it clearly wasn't), it's Oscar Schmidt then daylight. Eddie Palubinskas would be up there and for a while, it looked like Arvydas Sabonis would join these guys before playing late in the NBA.

If you allow ABA players who didn't play NBA, Oscar could be pipped by Mel Daniels. Was a 6-9 center with Indiana, averaged 18.7 points and 15.1 boards per game, winning two ABA MVPs in 8 seasons. Hall of Fame worthy.

Reply #330084 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

brett maher maybe?

Reply #330085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you dont think Galis is in the discussion you guys have no idea about international basketball.

Check this out against a very good Russian team.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93qc8EzsohM

or this in a matchup against Drazen Petrovic

Or this against the the Russians again featuring the best foreign player of all time Arvidas Sabonis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94X7oyzlfeY&feature=related

Galis was a scoring machine. Drafted by the Celts after an outstanding career at Seaton Hall but was injured pre season and the Celts replaced him with Gerald Henderson. After superstardom in Euro leagues and for Greece he had offers to again play in the NBA but chose country over the NBA because at the time pros could not play in FIBA touraments/Olympics.

So yes = best never international to never play NBA Oscar and Galis honorable mention Gaze.

Reply #330088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

justin wilkey

Reply #330090 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

duh billy from White Men Can't jump /end thread

Reply #330096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dejan Bodiroga?

Reply #330107 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Truth be known I have never heard of Galis clearly I have no idea about International Basketball according to Anon.

Sounds like the same people who write on the Fiba site EVERY time that the refs were paid.

Love bing an aussie!!

BTW for me Oscar, mind u I think most players would have the license to shoot the ball as much as he did!

Reply #330121 | Report this post

The Special One  
Years ago

Willy Farely !!!!!!!

Reply #330124 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Deion Sanders

Reply #330126 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

bodiroga
schmidt
fucka
bias
a couple of Russians from the late 70's and early 80's were very good too

Reply #330127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is this even a debate, its clearly Oscar Schmidt

Reply #330132 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

I remember a couple of very reliable sources mention that Phil Smythe's game would have been tailor made for the NBA. I believe Luc Longley was one of them.

Reply #330141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hank Gathers anyone???

Reply #330142 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

gathers wasn't as good as Bias let alone Schmidt

Reply #330144 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Oscar....no question.

Reply #330152 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Oscar Schmidt /Dragan Kicanovic.

Reply #330154 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Oscar had the advantage of being able to play in most major tournaments during his career because Brazil was the only other viable qualifier apart from the USA at that time from the Americas.So this gave him a bigger audience and profile from Australian fans who follow the Olympics and W/Cs.Galis and his Greece teams had to compete against the likes of Yugoslavia and Russia during the same period and so could not always get the team through qualifying and as such was not seen as much in big touraments.With Greece not being overly talented in relative terms to the Yugos and Russians thr fact that they did at times get the W against those teams speaks volumes about his talent. I dont think from memory that Oscar was able to carry Brazil to many wins over teams of this talent in his career. Galis had an increadible range of scoring options and could just get it done in the paint against far bigger oponents. Look Oscar was sensational a pure scorer with great range and may well be the best but Galis was like Iverson in the way he could score, minus the toolish side and plus the ability to make his team and team mates better.
So I stand by my statement. If you dont know about Galis or dont think he is in the mix of this discussion you dont know much about international basketball or it's history.

Reply #330160 | Report this post

tallblack  
Years ago

KIRK PENNY

... not bias

Reply #330165 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Did u read the title?

Reply #330167 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I forgot about the Greek legend Galis...definitely up there in the rankings! But Schmidt hands down for mine, and I still rate Lithuanian legend Kurtinaitis too.

Reply #330170 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

how come ppl are mentioning gaze ?? pretty sure he played and has a ring albeit a token ring

Reply #330207 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

People not reading the topic...

Reply #330212 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

That greek guy Galis was amazing - youtube him - was unstoppable

Reply #330229 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Chris washburn - drafted high and died before playing a game

Reply #330311 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

"Chris Washburn played 72 games over two seasons (one and a half with the Warriors and part of another with the Atlanta Hawks), averaging 3.1 points and 2.4 rebounds per game. He is widely considered to be one of the biggest busts in NBA draft history. In 2005 Sports Illustrated named him the second-biggest NBA draft bust of all time."

Sure you're not thinking of Len Bias?

Reply #330331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carl Lewis. Drafted by Bulls in 1984 ( 10th round ) but up against a pretty decent player at his position in camp and got cut. Went on to be pretty successful elsewhere - 9 gold medals is not too shabby !

Reply #330448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ganon baker?

Reply #330528 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Ater Majok. :)

Reply #330529 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Nikos Galis once dropped 50 against Michael Jordan. That gets him my vote.

Reply #330530 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Here's a nice video of Galis going off for 45 points in the 1989 European Championship against USSR (featuring Sabonis).

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94X7oyzlfeY

Reply #330532 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Yes Vart. I agree I posted it earlier. I played basketball many years ago with a guy whom emigrated from Greece. He was a decent player, well maybe top local grade S/L level and he used to go nuts talking about Gallis, but at that time due I had only his stories to go on because there was no WWweb back then. I read a bit about him and as soon as I could check him out on youtube I did. As I said he might not be the best but he is worthy of discussion.Those Euro teams back then had lots of talent because the NBA was still coming to terms with believing that someone who was not from the US was worthy of a spot or their Eastern Bloc governments would not let them play as they were then ineligable for the Olympics.

Reply #330595 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Yes Vart. I agree I posted it earlier. I played basketball many years ago with a guy whom emigrated from Greece. He was a decent player, well maybe top local grade S/L level and he used to go nuts talking about Galis, but at that time due I had only his stories to go on because there was no WWweb back then. I read a bit about him and as soon as I could check him out on youtube I did. As I said he might not be the best but he is worthy of discussion.Those Euro teams back then had lots of talent because the NBA was still coming to terms with believing that someone who was not from the US was worthy of a spot or their Eastern Bloc governments would not let them play as they were then ineligable for the Olympics.

Reply #330596 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754