observer
Years ago

Russian Referee from early 80s

I am wondering the name of that Russian Referee,who came out to Australia in the early 80s with the touring Russian team played matches in all states.

He was a crowd favorite with his referee moves on the court.

Is he still alive and what is he doing these days?
Does anyone know??

Topic #26271 | Report this topic

Wayne  
Years ago

I am remembering a little bloke from the late 80's at Apollo?

Came with a Russian/Lithuanian company team and cheated us blind.

Called travels whilst jumping on one leg??

As I was a kid I can't remember a whole lot, although a very young fresh out of the AIS Matthew Reece springs to mind ... way too many mid range set shots.

As I recall pre season??? and the development 36ers got hammered by a very tall and talented team.

or maybe I am confused??

Maybe the Russian national team in the 5/6 game series. Aussies lost every game apart from Sydney where Keogh got the starting back court of Russia smashed the night before (as he wasnt playing)and we won in OT?

Do recall the Adelaide game where Gaze (yes Gaze) compeleted one of the best dunks I have ever witnessed live over the 7 2 centre. Was almost like he stepped on his knee ... obvious charge but called a block.

Hang on you were asking about the referee!!! Sorry got stuck in a time warp .. and how bout the Port Magpies premiership, 1990 and and and and LOL

Reply #330143 | Report this post

smoovy  
Years ago

This guy? Mikail Davydov

http://bcastana.kz/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44%3A-l-r&catid=3%3A2011-06-10-14-14-45&Itemid=6&lang=en

Reply #330155 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

Thanks smoovy

Reply #330191 | Report this post

Credit  
Years ago

Certainly was davydov, his son alexey is now a fiba referee & his daughter played at the 17 worlds last year & poss 19 worlds this year.married an ex ukraine international basketballer which is where the kids get their height from.

Reply #330204 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:47 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754