Frontrow
Years ago

Good basketball books

On holidays and wondering if anyone has some suggestions/recommendations for some good basketball reading and the best place to get them from be it here or O/S. Any recommendations welcomed from autobiographies/biographies, players/teams & coaches.

Thanks

Topic #26287 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I ordered a book last week from Book Depoistry about some lockeroom stories from the Dallas Mavericks. Much of it relevant to the previous championship winning season.

Not sure what else recent wise is good.

Hopefully this gets flooded and helps both of us.

Reply #330352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be Like Mike By Pat Williams

Reply #330363 | Report this post

The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons.

Reply #330378 | Report this post

noose  
Years ago

I have read the following in the past couple of years.
They are good reads if you like some of the history of the game.

*Pistol: The Life of Pete Maravich
*Maravich
*Doc:The Rise and Rise of Julius Erving
*When the Game Was Ours (Magic & Bird)

Got them from Amazon (USA)

Reply #330380 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anything by Coach K should be at the top of every basketball junkies reading list. His most recent books are all great;

The Gold Standard: Building a World-Class Team - Coach K's guide to team building, illustrated with experiences from his three years coaching the team that would ultimately win Olympic gold. You’ll see how he formed relationships with LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Jason Kidd, Dwayne Wade, and the rest of Team USA’s NBA stars and how they established a set of standards to guide their performance, both on and off the court.

Beyond Basketball - For Mike Krzyzewski, head coach of the Duke University men’s basketball team, certain words have special importance and force. Coach K uses them every day to energize, motivate, and teach his players how to be winners on the court and in every aspect of their lives. Now, in BEYOND BASKETBALL, he offers 40 short, hard-hitting essays-each centered on an important keyword and illustrated with anecdotes from his personal experiences-that educate and inspire.

Leading with the Heart - chronicles Coach K’s background in a Polish Chicago neighborhood, where he was guided by parents who demanded honesty and integrity. From his days at the U.S. Military Academy playing under Coach Bobby Knight, Krzyzewski first learned that coaching meant more than showing players what to do and how to do it. It meant building an emotional bond of trust that gives his players the confidence and freedom to succeed both on and off the court.

Reply #330390 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I also should have said get them from Amazon.com

Reply #330391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amazon.com

Or

Book Depositry

Both are great for getting NBA books for reading.

Reply #330399 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Dennis Rodman - Bad As As I Wanna Be

Reply #330428 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

The Art of a Beautiful Game.
The Jordan Rules.

Both awesome.

Reply #330449 | Report this post

Years ago

"Can I keep my Jersey?" by Paul Shirley is worth a read. I bought it off the shelf, but I imagine it would be available on Amazon or similar.

Reply #330454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abebooks.com for rare and out of print books.

They're pretty cheap on the whole too. Some I've read from there include;

Coach K - Leading with the Heart

Bill Russell - Self Titled (of course ;)

Bill Russell - Second Wind

Bill Bradley - Life On The Run

Pat Riley - Show Time

John Wooden - On Leadership

Marv Albert - I'd love to but I have a game

Jack McCullum - 7 Seconds or less (Phoenix Suns)

As well as others already mentioned from other sources;

Bill Simmons - The Book of Basketball

Dennis Rodman - As Bad As I Wanna Be

Rob Greene - Rebound: The Odyssey Of Michael Jordan

Boti Nagy - Mahervellous

Phil Jackson - The Last Season

The back of Bill Simmons' book has a large list of reference books that he cites and my plan is to eventually get through the whole list.

Finally a couple I'm planning on reading soon;

Phil Jackson - Sacred Hoops

Sam Smith - The Jordan Rules

Always interested to hear about other books people have read and enjoyed.

Reply #330464 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

"Hang Time: Days and Dreams with Michael Jordan" by Bob Greene was an interesting insiders perspective on the Jordan phenomenon that I think is a must read.

Reply #330466 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

The best Michael Jordan book I've ever read was David Halberstam's book Playing for Keeps:
Michael Jordan and the World He Made.

Reply #330468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allen Iverson- Only the strong survive

&

How the 1985 nba draft changed the NBA forever.

Reply #330514 | Report this post

Sacred Hoops is an interesting book. On one hand you wonder HTF did Phil Jackson win so many titles and on the other you look at aspects of your own lide and consider making changes. Just handed it to a kid at school.

Reply #330583 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I'm reading Roy Williams book at the moment 'Hard Work'. Makes you really think about how hard we actually work on a daily basis. Not very when compared to what Roy had to endure so that he could follow his passion and be a lifelong basketball coach.

Check it out. I got it from Melbourne Sports Books.

Reply #330771 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:19 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754