Vart
Years ago

Full listing of the 2011 Australian Boomers

Hi all,

I thought you may be interested in this full listing of all the players to pull on the green and gold this international season.

The list is a bit longer than usual due to the You Yi games we played against China back in June which was primarily used as a developmental exercise by Brett Brown, with the only first-team players taking part being Damian Martin and David Barlow.

I've also listed where they are playing for those that may wish to keep an eye on them next season. There are quite a few playing NBL which is good given that One HD have committed to three live games per week (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) this season.

Looking forward to the 2012 London Olympics!

1 Adam Gibson, Gold Coast Blaze, NBL
2 AJ Ogilvy, Valencia, Spain
3 Aleks Maric, Panathinaikos, Greece
4 Anatoly Bose, Sydney Kings, NBL
5 Anthony Drmic, Boise State University, USA
6 Aron Baynes, Ikaros Kallitheas B.C., Greece
7 Ben Madgen, Sydney Kings, NBL
8 Brad Newley, Lietuvos Rytas, Lithuania
9 Cameron Tragardh, Melbourne Tigers, NBL
10 Clint Steindl, St Mary’s College, USA
11 Damian Martin, Perth Wildcats, NBL
12 Daniel Dillon, Melbourne Tigers, NBL
13 Daniel Kickert, PGE Turow, Poland
14 David Barlow, UCAM Murcia, Spain
15 Hugh Greenwood, University of New Mexico, USA
16 Jesse Wagstaff, Perth Wildcats, NBL
17 Joe Ingles, FC Barcelona, Spain
18 Luke Nevill, TBA
19 Luke Schenscher, Townsville Crocodiles, NBL
20 Mark Worthington, Gold Coast Blaze, NBL
21 Matt Nielsen, BC Khimki, Russia
22 Matthew Dellavedova, St Mary’s College, USA
23 Nate Tomlinson, University of Colorado, USA
24 Patty Mills, Melbourne Tigers, NBL
25 Peter Crawford, Townsville Crocodiles, NBL
26 Rhys Martin, Wollongong Hawks, NBL
27 Stephen Weigh, Adelaide 36ers, NBL

Topic #26290 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Bogut, Anderson, Jawai??

Reply #330402 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anonymous, this was just a list of the guys that 'played' for the Boomers this year (2011).

Bogut, Andersen and Jawai did not play for the Boomers this year.

Reply #330405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ohh ok i thought you were going to list the players for the 2012 olympics.

Reply #330408 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Any ideas for the starting 5 for the 2012 Olympics?

Reply #330409 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Aussie,

Assuming everyone is fit and available (and insurable!!!) I would say that the Boomers starting five will be Patty Mills, Brad Newley, Joe Ingles, Matt Nielsen and Andrew Bogut.

Reply #330410 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anonymous,

Fair enough mate. No, I'm not quite that brave!

Although, it would appear obvious that Bogut and Andersen will be automatic inclusions for the Olympics. I don't think that the same can be said for Jawai. Given the emergence of Maric, the 100% committment of Baynes to the Boomers program, and Jawai's absences for the past two international seasons, I think big Nate probably needs to look to the 2014 World Championships and beyond if he wants to be a Boomer at the OG or WC level.

Reply #330411 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Yeah what about Maric can you not start him?? I think if everyones healthy. Patty Mills, Brad Newley, Matt Nielson (or Joe Ingles), Maric and Bogut.

Reply #330412 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Aussie, I cant see Maric and Bogut starting together. I think Maric will be Bogut's back-up, as he was in the 2003 Aussie Emus junior world championship winning team.

It's a real plus for the Boomers. As we all saw, when he's on song Maric is a beast. He was voted the best centre in the Euroleague last year (2010 season), so to have him coming off the bench will be a real bonus and further increases our already substantial depth.

Reply #330415 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Yes i defiantly agree i think we are going to be a real chance next year.

Reply #330418 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Aussie, winning an Olympic basketball medal is a massive task! I would say that at full-strength, we should be able to compete with anybody. If you can compete, you can win, so we'll see what happens.

One thing is for sure it is an exciting time for the Australian Boomers!

Reply #330421 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

If Kyrie Irving plays for Australia, we could shift Mills to the shooting guard spot and get rid of some dead weight like newley onto the bench.

Reply #330425 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I wouldnt call him a dead weight but i think you would put patty on the bench and start kyrie irving instead.

Reply #330432 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Yes I'd start Kyrie and bring in Patty as a spark off the bench too.

Everyone has talked about this Olympics being the one for the Boomers, as we're no longer developing key guys like we did in the past two.

Reply #330433 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

newley and ingles both have boomer positions in their skill sets.
that curl cut/slash that newley has at his size and length is very difficult to guard at any level.
joe is a very intelligent basketballer these days,he probably needs to find other ways to score eg.getting to the free throw line(penney style).
Vart,to win a medal we WILL need jawai coming off the bench,there is no substitute for a good BIG with 'presence' at the international level.
i like barlow more these days, he looks comfortable coming off the bench and is money in the bank from the field and f/t line.

Reply #330439 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

This is the squad I would like to see:

Bogut / Maric
Nielsen / Andersen / Jawai
Ingles / Worthington
Newley / Barlow
Mills / Dellavedova / Martin

I did not include Irving as I highly doubt it will happen.

Ogilvy, Baynes are victims of our big man depth in my current selection.

Lots of ifs and buts before London - but we will be there ;)

Reply #330442 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Off topic slightly, how would team USA pick its squad for the London Olympics if the lockout cancels the entire 2011-12 season? Reputation alone?

Reply #330443 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

LC - yep,apart from kyrie replacing delly/martin, thats the squad that will contest a medal.

curtley - who gives a shit ?

Reply #330456 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Not that it will happen, but the last time there was a lockout the NBA players boycotted the WCs for the USA, who then only came home for a bronze medal.

Reply #330457 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

How is the quality of the players playing for the favourites going into the biggest international basketball tournament irrelevant?

If the Boomers win a medal and team USA is made up of euro based americans it wouldn't be the same would it?

Reply #330458 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

All the Euro Americans are playing for Euro countries...

Reply #330460 | Report this post

Des  
Years ago

I like the below team also with the last 4 man being contested by Jawai, Baynes and AJ. Would tip Baynes to get there, he just gets after it more. AJ still looks soft and Jawai is absent and inconsistent. All the others deserve to be there.

Bogut / Maric
Nielsen / Andersen / ?
Ingles / Worthington
Newley / Barlow
Mills / Dellavedova / Martin

However, I think we really need a pure shooter, someone to stretch defences and pour on points. No idea who that person is??? Probably don't exist for a while, some talk about Bose or Crawford, but I don't see them taking any of the above spots for now. Perhaps we coerce some streaky shooting American to naturalise... ? Any thoughts?

Reply #330476 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Interesting that a lot of people have dropped Adam Gibson from their teams, and kept Damian Martin, despite the fact that Brett Brown started Gibson in Turkey and played him significantly more minutes in the NZ series.

Des, I like your thoughts. Baynes has improved dramatically and has made himself available constantly available to play for the Boomers, which is much more than can be said for Jawai. Whether this has any baring on selection come the Olympics I'm not quite sure. I would think Brett Brown would pick the best team possibly available. That having been said with Baynes' improvement, I'm not sure there is a huge gap between them at the moment.

Reply #330480 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

As for the 'pure' shooter Des, I don't think we're going to see one develop between now and the Olympics in nine months time.

For the future I would say Anthony Drmic seems to fit the mould. He should 44% from three-point range during this years under-19 World Championships.

Steven Weigh appears to have the 'purest' stroke of any players mentioned above, and certainly brings nice size the two-guard spot and international level, but needs to improve to become a Boomers regular. This is undoubtedly one of the reasons behind his move to Adelaide to play under Marty Clarke.

I'll bring up Damian Martin again, as he shot 48% from three-point range in the NBL in 2009-10 (the Wildcats' Championship winning team). I see this as another reason that he should be ahead of Gibson in the rotation. They both bring essentially the same things to the table (solid point guard skills, suffocating defence, the ability to guard bigger players) however in my mind Martin's superior outside shooting should get him the nod, as the Boomers could clearly use it at the moment. Not sure that Brett Brown sees it this way though!

Reply #330482 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

They're pretty selective stats, Vart. I'm sure you're aware that Martin actually shot only 32% last NBL season from 3, and 34% on his career. It's an over simplification, but I think that the general consensus is Gibson - good scorer, solid defender and Martin - fantastic defender, average scorer.

With the emergence of Dellavedova, if Martin and Gibson are to fight over one remaining spot (and I personally believe that they are still a chance to both be selected) then that spot is a role players spot. I think for this reason many people are siding with Martin.

Reply #330493 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Fair call aussieboomers4eva. The reason for the selective stats is that the entire Perth team shot the ball poorly last year, and had been widely acknowledged by their coaching staff in relation to their offensive sets and shot selection. For that reason I didnt include last years figure. Martin was widely acknowledged as a poor shooter prior to the 2009-10 season, hence the reason I didnt mention his career average.

There is no argument in my mind that Martin is a superior three-point shooter when compared to Gibson, especially as a spot-up three-point shooter. This is something to keep in mind as the addition of Bogut is going to spread the floor quite a bit and open up some looks from the perimeter.

I too believe they are both a chance to be selected, there is no doubt about that, though I personally believe it is counterproductive to carry two players who essentially bring you exactly the same things.

Reply #330500 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Vart, didn't Martin's return to his career average for 3p% coincide with the introduction last season of the extended three point line (which will be used in all FIBA competitions)? Not sure there is evidence that Martin is a great 3 point shooter from the new distance.

Reply #330503 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I would argue Gibson is a better shooter than Martin too - but I think Martin's positive outweight those of Gibson. In any case, I think either would only play an emergency backup role in London. Mills and Delly are first stringers right now.

Reply #330522 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Appreciate your input XY, I must admit I hadnt considered that. It most likely has something to do with it. Thanks.

LC, you're quite right, they are emergency backups for sure. It's two years away, but it will be interesting to see where Delly ends up playing professionally. He will only get better and better.

Reply #330523 | Report this post

Des  
Years ago

Both Martin and Gibson are good players but what they bring doesn't help our situation, we need scoring. Such a shame Kirk Penney is a New Zealander, he is just what we need, even if he is getting on.

I haven't seen Steven Weigh in action much, saw a bit of college stuff but thats old now. Frank Drimic maybe in a few years. Any college players currently lighting up? I almost fell off my chair when Carfino and Heal suggested James Harvey. Surely he is out of the picture these days, I can't be certain though as I really don't watch much NBL.

Reply #330534 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I agree Des, we certainly could use some more perimeter scoring.

Hugh Greenwood and Anthony Drmic could certainly help us in this area in the future. Hugh is an very long outside shot at playing in London, and Drmic would not be on the radar for London, so realistically they are both long term prospects for the Boomers.

I really thought Steven Weigh would have been in the picture by now. A shooter of his size would be invaluable at the international level, but he really hasn't lifted his game to the heights most people would have expected. I think he realises this and is one of the reasons he has moved to Adelaide to play under his mentor from the AIS days, Marty Clarke. Hopefully he can have a breakout season with the 36ers, and really put his name up for contention for London.

Reply #330535 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754