eric
Years ago

I have a feeling One HD will not show NBL live

I have a feeling that all of the NBL's matches will be
broadcasted at 11:30pm, not live.If One cannot show the Aus-NZL series at a reasonable time, how can we expect them to screen 75 NBL games on time.

James Packer & Lachlan (Rupert) Murdoch need to go.

Topic #26296 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

They screened live games last year?

Reply #330507 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBL have a "major" announcement on Wednesday. Had assumed it might be Bogut, but that may not be ready in time. Could be something relating to the TV broadcast?

Reply #330509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, Tornado, and hopefully they do again this year I share eric's concern as since last year they have undergone a rebranding to a mens channel rather than sport specific. I cannot fathom why repeats of shows like COPS etc gained priority of Australian olympic qualityfing sport, and against rivals NZ no less. If its not going to be live, will be time to bombard one hd via every medium possible.

On a side note there was an incredible effor given by people tearing ones twiietr and FB part about bommers games not being live.

Reply #330510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Wed is the day of the NBL season launch at Docklands so despite probably nobody knowing thas even on (surprise surprise a basketball event is on and no one knows) atleast they should after they make a major announcement.

Reply #330512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also, title should be changed as this is speculation NOT FACT

Reply #330516 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good point anon.

Reply #330518 | Report this post

Rob  
Years ago

There is one big difference this year. NBl has always got good coverage for weds games but there are very few of these in the 2011/12 roster.

Reply #330519 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

One (they're not HD anymore) have changed from being a sports only channel, but they recently confirmed that they will show three live games per week - Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Reply #330520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rob, werent there very few last year too? and I know for sure there were NONE on tv, tv games were fridays and sundays

Reply #330521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vart - do you have a link? i dont doubt you I just dont recall that

Reply #330536 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Yeah everyone keeps mentioning these 3 games per week and all but I'm yet to see a link or any actual evidence.

Reply #330539 | Report this post

Ain't no G  
Years ago

If you look at what was on when the fiba games were actually being played there's just cause for concern. There was an American junk yard reality show and a vin diesel movie during the actual game. Wtf?

Reply #330545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It may be hard for basketball fans to understand but the reality is basketball doesn't rate.

You ask why they showed repeats of COPS and other shows instead of the Boomers v NZ. Simply because those other shows get a certain audience and no network has faith basketball will attract a big enough fan base.

The only people who watch basketball on TV are basketball junkies, and in fact a lot of them don't watch any NBL or WNBL on TV either.

If the NBL can't even get basketballers to watch their games why would a network have faith that the general public or AFL/NRL fans would be willing to sit through a game they either don't respect, don't understand or don't enjoy?

Reply #330549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we'll find those people that are spruiking the Fri Sat Sun games on tele are privy to a little inside info that hasn't been released to the public yet.

Reply #330600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the anon the post before last - you clearly didnt see the very good ratings for the NBL on ONE last year.

Reply #330603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually the NBL's ratings on One started off alright but then dropped away considerably.

Supposedly Ten/One did everything they could to get out of their contract with the league this offseason but couldn't find a way out other than buying their way out of it so decided to stick with it.

Reply #330613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This season's coverage hasnt been finalised yet, still back and forth, but the contract mandates a certain number of live games.

Reply #330618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ratings were higher then expected but still poor In comparison to AFL/NRL or other shows.

Reply #330634 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

If ratings were 'higher than expected' then that has to be a good thing...

Reply #330646 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Never going to compare to AFL/NRL. Just need to compare to Pitch Black, COPS, etc. Sad if we can't.

Reply #330651 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

The other factor is the league needs to attract sponsors that will buy ad space during the games as iiNet did and continue to do so.

V8's are huge in TV because all the ancillary sponsors of the cars buy bulk ad space for the telecast.

Netball is on TV because ANZ and San Remo pumped big dollars into ad space. On the back of that other sponsors have come to the sport and growth occurs

Same with Cricket and AFL.

TV has to be a win win. It is chicken and the egg at present. Unfortunately the NBL is yet to land and Tier 1 sponsor.

The other issue for hoops on TV is that is has a broad appeal. Sponsors cant laser point a campaign at the audience.

Using V8's again as an example; if you are watching them then mostly likely you are into cars. Cue all the car products and related industries to advertise.

Netball attracts the females.

Basketball doesn't have a specific audience, nor does AFL but they have the eyeballs that make it worthwhile to invest.

It will turn around , how long that takes though is the multi million dollar question.

Reply #330656 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:30 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754