Vart
Years ago

Future Aussie Boomers watch

Hey guys,

Thought it would be good to start a post where we can share stats and game reports for guys that may push for a Boomers spot in future years.

For starters I got this little snippet from the Sydney Kings pre-season game against the Gold Coast Blaze in Tamworth over the weekend - 'Chris Goulding was a star for the Blaze with 30 points and was six of seven from three point range, while Jason Cadee had 14 points and six assists'.

Both of these guys will be on Brett Brown's radar post London 2012.

In relation to Cadee, I cant remember a time when Australia's point guard stocks were so stacked! Mills, Dellavedova, Gibson, Martin, Cadee, even Hugh Greenwood plays a bit of point.

Speaking of point guards, I noted from this game report that Aaron Bruce had 21 points. I'm really intrigued to see him play with the Kings this season. I really hope he can recapture the form that saw him represent the Boomers in 2006 at the World Championships in Japan.

Topic #26299 | Report this topic

phil  
Years ago

Goulding was a revelation last season. Always in the action and tough as nails. One of the reasons why GC are a great side to watch. Where did he spend the off season?

Reply #330562 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Jorden Page - a knee injury curtailed his sophomore year for Saint Mary's when he was ready to go off! He is one of our better pg prospects for 3 or 4 years down the track.

Reply #330602 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Good call rohant16. Some might call Jorden Page a 'poor mans Patty Mills' in that he is clearly a scoring point guard. As long as his knee is back to 100% he should get a good run at St Mary's this season now that Mickey McConnell has graduated. He should make an awesome combo in the backcourt with Matty Dellavedova.

On St Mary's, I think they will really live to regret not giving their one scholarship spot to Hugh Greenwood. They missed a big fish there!

Reply #330627 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Unfortunately for Greenwood Vart the Gaels are loaded at the 1/2 spot they have 4 guys Delly, Page, Stephen Holt and Paul McCoy who could be starters. That's how good they are with guard depth this season.

No doubt Greenwood would have been a valuable addition but unfortunately New Mexico was a more appealing fit for Greenwood.

Watching the Gaels a lot the last few years I really like Page's chances of being a future Boomer. He really has that athleticism that we lack in our guards at the moment.

Reply #330684 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

You're right rohant16. I guess it just seems strange to not have an incoming freshman pulling on the Gael's jersey this year.

On Page, I reckon you're right about that one. I remember watching the Emus play here in Melbourne prior to the 2009 Junior Worlds, we had Dellavedova, Cadee, Page and Greenwood on the same team. That was quite the guard combination!

The only concern that I have regarding Page becoming a Boomer, is that as I mentioned above, he really is a very similar player to Patty Mills (ie. a scoring point guard) so I'm not sure he gives you the different type of player that you ideally want in your back-up. That would be the only thing that I think would hold him back, certainly not a lack of ability.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Page goes this year, and I can't want for college basketball to get started.

Reply #330697 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Vart - stand by for the "Aussie Watch" NCAA thread for the 2011/12 season. I will launch it later this month.

You can check out the thread that was running for last season here: Australian "NCAA Div 1 College Watch" - 2010/11

Reply #330779 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Awesome stuff LC. I'll check it out for sure.

Based on last nights game, Anatoly Bose will be a Boomer at OG or WC level for sure. And if he gets back to his very best, Aaron Bruce's name will come up again. Our PG stocks are quite a bit deeper than when he went to Japan in 2006, but as his best he is an 'A' grade player.

Reply #330787 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think if he can keep hitting the three the way he is this pre-season, Bruce is an outside chance to move back into contention.

The Boomers need shooters, and while I think Brown is pretty close to set on his team for London, beyond that there is a chance for Bruce IF he can consistently produce the game that made him such a standout in his younger years.

Reply #330792 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Totally agree Paul. Once our strength, our perimter shooting is now arguably our weak point.

Reply #330794 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Bruce has always been a stand-out three-point shooter. He hit 39.4% last NBL season, which really is spectacular when you consider he come in half way through the season, having not played competitively in over a year.

When he made the 2006 WC team, I was really excited about him being the Boomers starting point guard for the next decade. If he can get back to that sort of form the Sydney Kings will be rapt, and he will come into Boomers contention again.

Reply #330800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce shot 26.5% in the recent CABL season. Think that is more likely where Bruce will be this season in Sydney. Got nothing against the guy, but don't think there will be too many out of Adelaide singing his praises as a future Boomer.

Reply #330806 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Don't think anything to do with his play in Adelaide this past season is a fair reflection on his true ability at peak form and fitness.

Time will tell I suppose.

Reply #330811 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Bruce is a big loss for the Sixers, he definately was not used to his strengths here IMO.
Let's hope it doesn't come back to bite us.

Reply #330815 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

It will DB5.

Reply #330824 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I think it will as well. Really cannot believe all the hate he received here.

Reply #330846 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm with you all too - AB will be back better than ever IMO now that he no longer has any major off court distractions

Reply #330875 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Ryan Broekhoff is averaging 15.2ppg and 9.2rpg in NCAA Division 1 for Valparaiso.

Off the top of my head, those types of numbers in points and rebounds would be the best by an Aussie since Aleks Maric. Considering Ryan is a 6-7 guard/forward, they are pretty amazing stats.

Check out his full profile at - http://t.co/2jHtV7vE

Reply #345626 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Brock Motum is averaging 15.3ppg and 6.4rpg in NCAA Division 1 for Washington State.

Check out his full profile at - http://www.wsucougars.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/motum_brock00.html

Reply #346035 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:54 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754