LC
Years ago

Qatar deliberately foul out at Asian Championships

Just came across this from the FIBA Asia Championships that has just commenced:

Four Qatari players purposely fouled out in their Asian Championship opener yesterday, forcing basketball officials to halt the game.

Referees were forced to stop match between Qatar and Uzbekistan, when four of the five Qatari players purposely fouled out in protest of a FIBA ruling.

The four players committed five personal fouls each within the first six minutes of the match, prompting referees to disqualify them and hand Uzbekistan a 27-12 win.

Qatari coach Ali Fakhroo said the fouls were committed in protest of an International Basketball Federation (FIBA) ruling making five of the team's 11 players ineligible for the championships due to their dual nationality.

And apparently, the Qatari team has vowed to do it again today against Iran! Wow!

Never heard of this happening before at any level...

Topic #26325 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

sounds like a waste of money sending that team to the tournament

Reply #330954 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

FIBA Asia VP is Qatari and let me tell you, he is not a happy man at the moment. I am wondering if the team will even be allowed on the court today.

Reply #330958 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

def not the way to protest a decision

Reply #330966 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If you think that's funny, Uzbekistan were unaware they had to bring a referee, so their assistant coach, who is also their team manager and an internationally qualified ref has thrown on the shirt and just done a game!!

Reply #330977 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Sure isn't a good look for FIBA Asia

Would love to see Asia and Oceania combined into one.

Reply #330980 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I know this was discussed in another thread, but I would love to see them combined into something like FIBA Asia Pacific or something of the sort (I would also like to see Turkey in there but that isnt going to happen anytime soon).

With FIBA looking to expand to 16 teams at the next Olympics it would work well, you can allocate three spots to the region, or have a clause that in the first X years of the amalgmation only one Oceania team can get a direct Olympic qualification spot.

I would ideally like to see the top 7 from the WCs qualify for the Olympics and then two more teams from the four continental championships, with the host nation making 16.

Reply #330985 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

From an Oz and NZ point of view I think the ability to get meaningful tournament play would be invaluable. Teams like China, Korea, Jordan and Iran can all present real challenges on certain days, and especially for our junior teams having to play these different styles in hostile or unfamiliar environments will be a good learning experience.

I understand the cons re not having a guaranteed WC spot etc and potentially harder Olympic qualification as Asian teams improve, but I think the pros are worth it. Also having Australian basketball as a part of this massive region, rather than looking through the window wanting to get in, could also be of enormous benefit.

Allowing other Oceania teams like Fiji etc play Malaysia and those sort of countries would also be a good result for the sport.

Reply #330987 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

It's pretty childish behaviour - but at least we can be content in the knowledge that Qatar will never ever be allowed to host one of the world's biggest sporting tournaments.

Oh, wait.

(BTW, the word 'Qatari' is awesome to say - they do have that going for them)

Reply #330989 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I used to play Frogger on the Qatari.

Reply #330995 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Apparently what has happened is that someone in the Qatari federation in charge of paperwork didnt bring it to the tournament! I am told some of these guys have played for Qatar before.

Negotiations going on now to fix the situation. How hard can it be though to abide by the rules and bring the required paperwork?

Reply #331017 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I may still have high score.

Reply #331021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #333545 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754