Anonymous
Years ago

Is the NBL finally getting it?

Someone on here (sorry for forgetting who you are) mentioned earlier that it seems as if the NBL if finally getting it. By that I mean how to run a national professional league properly and well.

This offseason the have proposed things which normally fans would love and be screaming for but the NBL just wouldn't do for whatever reason. Things like:

Themed rounds, including Heritage/Retro Round
Event happening outside NBL stadiums before games ala NBA
Even things like the fan voice competition which gave every fan a chance to win and write for NBL.com.au and promote their site as well.

It really does seem like they are finally getting it and with Bogut and Mills most likely playing in that start of the season, everything might be aligning nicely at once.

What are other people thoughts. Agree? Disagree?

Topic #26333 | Report this topic

Vart  
Years ago

I agree. The NBL has taken major leaps forward the past couple of years under the leadership of Larry Sengstock and the new board.

Whilst players are important to the success of a professional sporting league, the role that good administrators play cannot be overlooked.

Reply #331033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NOT in bris they aint !

Reply #331036 | Report this post

True Supporter  
Years ago

and sometimes depsite what fans want some things are not that easy to do or take time to put together. Yes you could say they are getting it but its fair to say that the NBL administrators want this to work as much or more than the fans

Reply #331046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah NBL is taking some big steaps, to put the icing on the cake though... boguy needs to go to Sydney.

Reply #331050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're finally moving in the right direction. It's a shame it has taken this long for some positives to come to light.

Once there is a team in each major city, then I'll be happy

Reply #331053 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Certainly heading in the right direction. Fix Brisbane, Newcastle and Hobart then get another side in Melbourne and we are away.

Reply #331054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have no idea when the board was changed and how much it was changed. Can someone enlighten men? When good ol larry came in was the board overhauled or what?

Reply #331058 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, the BA and NBL 'merger' came into effect after the 09 season when the Dragons won the title.

Reply #331059 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

As good a reason as any for a complete overhaul

Reply #331070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The chairperson guy who leeroy got involved has not been happy with the nbl's communication & other things.
rumor has it he should be pleased, as he is the guy whose had them in his pocket even still but has not really contributed much results.
he stood aside but they have not been all that impressed with the bad comms betwen the team & him for awhile.
I hope they get some needed support from the right people.
Brissy 2xmelb team newcastle & darwin wld be fab.

Reply #331071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not sure why everyone is mentioning newcastle when no1 went to watch the hunter pirates (yes they were a crap team, but so is every team when they start) there was very little support.

Reply #331072 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The NBL has done some good things for sure and now have released their business plan. It includes a team in Brisbane and a 2nd team in Melbourne by 2015.

Reply #331078 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The AFL didn't have a team in every major city for years, and it's long been the biggest sporting competition in the country. The NRL doesn't have teams in Adelaide or Perth. I just think the NBL should promote sustainable growth and not mandate a team in a certain city. I'm sick of them trying to compete with the NRL and AFL instead of finding and catering to a market niche.

Places like Perth, Adelaide & Townsville are basketeball-mad, yet they keep getting snubbed by the NBL for the effort put into places like Sydney and Brisbane (where no one went to the games when they had a team).

I'd be happy if the league shored up its strengths, futher embedding itself in market strongholds FIRST rather than stabbing in the dark at expansion. The AFL doesnt just all of a sudden have a new team. It's a long process, and an expansion team is announced many years before they first take the field - to allow all the proper planning to run it's course.

Sorry but I'm not sold on Sengstock and his "management speak". His speeches are unrealistically optimistic and paint a veiled picture of the strength and future of the league. Sure, it's much stronger than it was four years ago but the last thing they need to be doing is acting like the job is done and the road ahead is not still very rocky.

At the season launch, it was stated that the aim of the NBL was to become THE LEADER in the Asia-Pacific region for sports entertainment. Not just the leader in Australia, but the leader in the entire region spanning two continents and billions of people. What are they smoking? Why even bother proselytising such nonsense?

Reply #331080 | Report this post

dodge city  
Years ago

4 teams in asia

Reply #331103 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Very well said Mick.

I also would much rather build up the current teams making them strong and sustainable before even thinking about trying to break into new markets.

The only way the new markets will work is if the league is strong and stable when they are introduced.

Reply #331106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne and Brisbane are crucial for the other teams in the league, definitely need to get those two expansions happening as soon as they are viable.

Reply #331107 | Report this post

snake5  
Years ago

Right on Mick.

FNQ is (on a per capita basis) a strong basketball market with a very large and loyal fan base ala Crocs and Taipans.
Cant see what everyone is talking about re NBL doing things outside the rounds. Maybe that's because the Taipans have been doing community events in Cairns lonkg before this became a good marketing idea by teams with cash barrels.
Consider Taipans Tuesdays, Taipans coaching year round for younger players and developing players, school visits, after game events, etc. Not to mention, on any given day, my kids rub shoulders with the Taipans at basketball training and before each club game the kids play.
You can't simulate that sort of thing with a money-driven coreographed event.

Reply #331303 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:24 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754