The Special One
Years ago

Ex-NBL players becoming coaches

Just thinking this the other day, I have noticed alot of ex-AFL players becoming a coach of an AFL club then eventually becoming a mentor. Just wondering why the ex-NBL players such as Maher, Gaze etc dont take up roles as coaches ???
They would have a great advantage, what do you all think ????

Topic #26344 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

They don't want to, not enough money, happy doing other things, etc.

Reply #331129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, Muzz Buzz is way better

Reply #331131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze is coaching, the 18.1s Melbourne Tigers team

Reply #331135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wright, Clarke, Lemanis, Robilliard, McLeod and Fearne are all ex-NBL players. There are only so many jobs to go around. And Isaac is right, the few top line guys whose name can carry on after basketball can make much better money without the stress of coaching.

One thing that seems different to me are the number of assistant coaches who didnt play NBL (although I havent done a count) compared to the AFL, where most are ex-players.

Reply #331143 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Much more fun being CEO of the NBL than coaching in it - and probably better money.

But there have been a lot of ex players who have been NBL head coaches over the years (Smyth, Goorjian, Joyce, Fisher, Bruton senior, Ninnis, Heal, Black etc.) and, as Anon points out, more than half of the current crop of NBL coaches formerly played in the league.

The transition to coach is hard. You can be a top player but not know how to manage people well enough to make a team function well. However, you may be in a good position to give one-on-one advice and help to individual players - on technique or personal development or coping with being a full-time professional player. So, you become a mentor rather than a coach.

Reply #331148 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry, anon was me again. Basketball is also a more technical sport than Aussie rules, so it probably takes longer to get to the level where you can coach in the national league successfully.

It would be great if BA could find a way to keep more ex-players in the sport full time, but it is easier said than done and there are bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Reply #331150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being a great player doesn't gurantee being a good coach. This is especially true in juniors. Ino the topic is nbl, but generally great players may not be great coaches. Those who can, do! Those who understand, coach! (b that ex player or not).

Reply #331172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

o/t but why is joyce always spelled by everybody with a zero ???

Reply #331179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of the great coaches are the ones who had limited success as a player, if people haven't noticed. Maybe it's because the only reason they were there in the first place/their strength if they were good was in their basketball IQ.

Reply #331182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon I concur

Reply #331185 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, Google reasons. Joyce is a big fan of making legal threats, including if anyone refers to his son as "SoJ".

Reply #331188 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

The 0 is directly above the o on the keyboard.....

Reply #331194 | Report this post

JTW  
Years ago

Our old mate Heal is coaching his daughters up on the Gold Coast u18 + u14 this year in the Brisbane league. Is always interesting to to watch and lots of 'banter' between Heal and other Coaches, Refs, spectators, Stadium officials.

Reply #331210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suceesfully coaching?we all know he faailed as a nbl coach

Reply #331226 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

Bball legends do not alweays make great coaches....The Mark Price experiment with the Dragons proved that.

Reply #331237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I agree that although I love AFL, basketball is tougher to coach. It's rare to find someone who has a complete basketball mind. Every coach grew up playing ball like all of us and obviously understood "the game" extremely well. I've been playing for 20 years so far, played district all through juniors and there's no way I'd coach. I know the game but successful coaches have rare basketball minds and see it on a whole new level. The best AFL coaches are ones that inspire their players.

Reply #331242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont underestimate the strategy & game play of afl coaches look how much the game has developed over the past 20 yrs, all due to sports science,& great tactical minds. Though I do agree bball far more technical. A good bball coach can inspire & lead but first & foremost needs the understandinh & technical ability to succeed.

Reply #331286 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

heard ex 36er captain Dean Kinsman is/was an assistant on the Tall Ferns bench,
you never know where these guys are going to turn up when they start on the professional coaching merrygoround.

Reply #331324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The big difference between AFL and NBL is that there is no money in coaching in the NBL. Sure for a few coaches there are, but for former players there is no legitimate career path into it. AFL clubs have many more assistants and they are paid a lot better.

Reply #332184 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:14 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754