trevor
Years ago

Youth League U23 Grand Finals

Div 1 Men - Sturt vs North

North beat sturt 2 weeks ago in the first final in overtime. Sturt were without Tom Daly who is back for the GF. Should be a close match regardless.

Div 2 Men - Sturt (2) vs North Red

Sturt won 23 of 24 regular season games, with north second winning 19. The two teams played each other a month ago with Sturt winning by 4 points. Sturt should win as they are far more talented but also very casual.

Div 1 Women - Sturt vs Norwood

Norwood were undefeated all season. Sturt were third in regular season play with 18 wins from 24. Sturt will be without Nicole Seekamp in the final. Norwood should win comfortably.

All 3 Grandfinals are Tuesday 20th September at Pt. Adelaide Court 1.
YL Men div 2 - 6.30 pm.
YL Women div 1 - 7.30pm.
YL Men Div 1 - 9.00pm

Topic #26348 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only way I see Sturt losing both Men's finals is if they lose their way to Port Adelaide. Not too sure many of them can remember how to get there!

Reply #331228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and what about the lower divisions nobody else cares about....

Reply #331229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO

Reply #331374 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Bah, the best u23s are playing league and we know which club won those titles don't we :-P

Reply #331380 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Div 3 Men: Tigers vs Eagles Blue
Div 4 Men: U-S-A vs Sturt 1
Div 5 Men: Centrals 1 vs Eagles Gold
Div 2 Women: Norwood Blue vs Tigers

Reply #331385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

warbout the warrior battled through the 4th with cramp, a real inspiration forefeting with 5 mins left in a game

Reply #331399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who won

Reply #331400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North by about 15. Sturt ran out of players but were well beaten when the game was abandoned with about 3 minutes to go. Norwood easily won the women. Strut just beat North in div 2 men.

Reply #331401 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Game abandoned - puless exploin - you mean they actually abandoned the game or the just gave up?

Reply #331404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt had 3 players left (2 were fouled out, 1 injured), so the game was stopped with 4 minutes 55 seconds left.

Reply #331415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scott Butler coach of Sturt spoke to referee's and to Corey McLean and he defaulted the game with 4.28 to go. Scott's decision not to play on.

Reply #331422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that BSA would not let Sturt replace a player who was away with National duties because they would have needed to have played twice in the same night. Even though the bylaws actually allow for it.

The qualification rules for these comps need to change due to the number of commitments these players have and in one hand BSA say that they need to not over work these players, then they force them to play with 6 and not replace a player in a 40 minute fully timed game when the team already has 2 injured players.

Reply #331425 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bad planning I suppose - why would they have to play twice in one night?

Reply #331429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would need to play twice in one night because all the U23 comps are on that night. And were in the finals.

Reply #331431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is unfortunate what happened last night but to a certain extent I wonder when you commennt on commitments of players whether some players are being overplayed by Sturt. For example some players playing both Div 2 mens and then YL. In some cases also playing ABA. Some temas from what I can see do not have players playing both YL and Div 2 men which over a season probably helps with work loads.

Nevertheless from my observation last night Sturt still had a very good team on the court but before fouls became an issue were still well and truly being beaten by North who also had a player away and also had an injury lter in the match. The two players who got fouled out from Sturt need to look at themselves and perhaps look at Jan and number 40 for North and learn how to play when in foul trouble.

Apart from this game the night was great though I still question whether the ever increasing age bracket; U 20 - U21 - U23 is doing anything for the women's side of the comp when in the so called premier competition outside of ABA a team can win a GF by from memory in excess of 50 points.

Also the Div 2 comp, especially on the men's side is a bit farcical when 8 teams out of 10 can make the finals and that teams in junior Div 2's do not have this nonsense of North South pools or pro/rel by pool. How much better would this competition have been if the best teams could have played each other more times during the season rather than play some teams in their own pool up to 4 times.

BSA if you are serious about the YL comp then stop treating the lower levels as a glorified social comp; at least make the Div 2's the equivalent of junior Div 2's!!!

Reply #331432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would suggest that this is one of the reasons that clubs baulked at starting the U23 comp without necessary preperation time.

Being able to manage the players without knowing how it was going to work. Combined with rule changes and without a two way communication, this was always going to happen.

What was planned as our premier second tier competition, may have in fact lost money after taking into account referees and stadium usage. And was hardly a showcase to claim is was better than the U20 comp of years past.

Reply #331436 | Report this post

chief  
Years ago

I thought it was pretty good night with the men's game having a decent crowd for 9pm on a Tuesday night.

Agreed North had the better of most of the game, I felt they had the better intensity and played with some real passion from the first tip.

Reply #331437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The lower levels of YL ARE a glorified social comp.

Reply #331446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no way youth league is up to the standard of the previous years div 2 comps (or reserves as it was known). the whole feeder comp to abl has become a joke, just finish juniors at u/20 and go back to a reserves comp, what was wrong with that? was clearly of a better standard!!

Reply #331470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Work load of players geez north's u23 side most played ABA all season 2 have 36ers committments so your saying that kids at this level should or shouldnt play too much hmmmmm and with a 24 game season 10 games to qualify for finals isnt too much too ask maybe coaches should not rely on only a few indivuals to get them thru and pick fringe players too help out in times of injury and other committemnts from what i have seen over a limited viewing this season north ran thier bench regularly and did not rely on starting 5 or the few

im from a footy back ground and this season we ran over 45 player in one side cos of injuries and other commitments and still managed too qualify 25 player for finals

Reply #331480 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:24 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754