Interested
Years ago

Coaches Ages

Was just curious on everyone elses opinion, what do you think should be the youngest age for someone to be coaching a div 1 team.

U12s - 16
U14s - 17
U16s - 19
U18s - 21
U23s - 25

Topic #26358 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

i coached under 14 div 1 as a 19 year old, dont think i would wanted to be any younger

Reply #331305 | Report this post

tp7  
Years ago

im 25 n coach a mens bigv side!

Reply #331306 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Depends on the maturity of the person. Some 17 yo are more mature than 25 yo. A good age gap is needed between the players and the coach to provide some natural respect. I would say those ages are OK for Div 2 or 3.

Div 1 is a different kettle of fish with coach selection. Div 1 coaches should be able to think strategically as well. The best Div 1 coaches IMO are those who can turn a silk purse out of a sow's ear and can predict what their opponent's are thinking before they think it.

Div 1 coaches also provide the overall direction for that group so they need to be able to relate to the lower grade coaches. They also need to interact with parents.

Every situation is different, but 19 would be the minimum IMO for a Div 1 coach.

Reply #331311 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

I coached my first U12 D2 team when I was 15. Think it depends on the personality of the individual. I was always going to be a better coach than I was a player. Coaching director at the time notice that and gave me an opportunity.

Reply #331312 | Report this post

Winner351  
Years ago

I think those ages are a couple of years off. There's doing Div 1, and then there's doing Div 1 well.

I think to do a good job of div 1, I'd probably add 2 years to most of those ages you listed.

But of course, it depends on the individual and also the coaches around him (can get away with a younger div 1 coach if div 2 coach is experienced & takes some responsibility with dealing with parents and all that).

Reply #331315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why do you ask ?

Reply #331320 | Report this post

stomp  
Years ago

My mate was an ABL assistant at 23yrs old

Reply #331325 | Report this post

Winner351  
Years ago

I think being a head coach is very different to assistant. I would encourage lots of u18s and u20s with an interest in coaching to assist a div 1 team.

Reply #331328 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

In 2003/4 when Norwood had two U16 Div 1 teams for the Summer season, Carlo Bertetic was 21/22 years old and I was 18/19 years old.

Depends on the individuals.

Reply #331339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A mate of mine coached Big V SCM team and he was younger than half the players (only 26 years old).

Younger coaches work in AFL look at the Scott brothers so it really does depend on the person and the clubs support network

Reply #331366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood under 18 div 1 boys had a really young coach. he looked the same age as the player he coached.

the first time i coach against him i thought he was a injured player, for is age tho he coaches well had his boys playing hard and some good ball.

so age doesn't matter at div one level as long as they know what to do.

Reply #331372 | Report this post

aran85  
Years ago

It's pretty obvious you are not really an opposition coach by the way you write. I'd guess you are either the coach being talked about, or one of his mates.

I think it's a bit misleading to call him the coach, although maybe in name only he was. I did see him coaching on grand final night, although it was fairly plain for all who were there that Berry was still running the show.

The guy you are talking about was the assistant coach until Pete got sick, wasn't he?

Reply #331375 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

yea he was.

but pete still had final say.

Reply #331376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did west win boys in 18s and 16s

Reply #331377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats this thing about a coach who is 26 in the big V ?

Reply #331378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was a point where the norwood coach had full control over the team tho did a pretty good job for sombody the same age as his players

Reply #331394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he is older not sure by how much, But Peter was calling the shots. just couldn't use his voice due to work cover but Mitch is definitely a coach in the making.

Reply #331398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A couple of Big V coaches I know of are only young blokes, the coach @ western port & Eltham (don't know exact ages) are both under 30 and I think coach at waverley is only early 30's.

Reply #331418 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:20 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754