Anonymous
Years ago

Only 3 players in the NBA are sub 6'

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/shaun_powell/08/25/short-players/index.html

I knew it was difficult to make the NBA if you were short but it's staggering to think that the percentage is soo low. There's like 450 players on NBA rosters and only 3 are sub 6', which means only 0.6% of the league is sub 6'. Basketball really is a tall mans game.

Topic #26360 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah height definitely helps man. You know what Dennis Rodman, Charles Barkley and Michael Jordan had in common apart from being legends of the game? All struggled with basketball early because of their lack of height. All of them were finally given chances once they had growth spurts.

Dennis Rodman
While attending South Oak Cliff High School, Rodman played under future Texas A&M coach Gary Blair.[5] However, Rodman was not considered an athletic standout. According to himself, he was "unable to hit a layup" and was listed in the high school basketball teams, but was either benched or cut from the squads. Measuring only 5 ft 6 in (1.68 m) as a freshman in high school,[4] he also failed to make the football teams and was "totally devastated".[8] After finishing school, Rodman worked as an overnight janitor at Dallas Fort Worth International Airport. He experienced a sudden growth spurt, and decided to give basketball another shot.[10]

Charles Barkley
As a junior, Barkley stood 5'10" (1.78 m) and weighed 220 pounds (99.8 kg). He failed to make the varsity team and was named as a reserve. However, during the summer Barkley grew to 6'4" and earned a starting position on the varsity team in his senior year. He averaged 19.1 points and 17.9 rebounds per game and led his team to a 26-3 record en route to the state semifinals.[7] Despite his improvement, Barkley garnered no attention from college scouts until the state high school semifinals, where he scored 26 points against Alabama's most highly recruited player, Bobby Lee Hurt.[7]

Michael Jordan
Jordan attended Emsley A. Laney High School in Wilmington, where he anchored his athletic career by playing baseball, football, and basketball. He tried out for the varsity basketball team during his sophomore year, but at 5'11" (1.80 m), he was deemed too short to play at that level. His taller friend, Harvest Leroy Smith, was the only sophomore to make the team.[5]
Motivated to prove his worth, Jordan became the star of Laney's junior varsity squad, and tallied several 40 point games.[5] The following summer, he grew four inches (10 cm)[1] and trained rigorously. Upon earning a spot on the varsity roster, Jordan averaged about 20 points per game over his final two seasons of high school play.[6][7] As a senior, he was selected to the McDonald's All-American Team[8] after averaging a triple-double: 29.2 points, 11.6 rebounds, and 10.1 assists.[9]

Makes you wonder how common this actually is. I'm sure there's been plenty more talented players that just gave up basketball because they were sick of always having to go against the odds. You can still make it as a short player in the game but you just need to be really good!!!

Reply #331338 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Those heights are bogus. Im sure they are taken with shoes on as we all know when a 6.5 player arrives for the NBL they are really only about 6.3......
im 5.11.5 but for nba im at least 6.2

Reply #331340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

under 6 ft in shoes, they all ;lie about their heights anyway

Reply #331342 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Couldn't see who the three were in that article. I guess Nate Robinson, JJ Barrea (is he under 6 ft?) and who else?

Reply #331350 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

patty mills would be about 6

Reply #331352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ty Lawson?

Reply #331353 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bynum?

I think it could be as much about them pushing the boundaries of measurement as anything. I'm sure there are a fair few just under 6' but who are listed as 6 or 6'1".

Reply #331355 | Report this post

trevor  
Years ago

in the NBA team work outs that college kids get put through, their wingspan, vertical leap etc is measured - along with height with and with out shoes.

The height with shoes is usually an inch and a quarter taller than the height measured with out shoes. It's this taller height that is then transferred to the NBA.com profile's.

Reply #331359 | Report this post

Lethal5  
Years ago

billo, Earl Boykins is 5'5"

Reply #331373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same with Scottie Pippen, had a late growth spurt in college after not being able to make the team. Pippen started out as the teams towel boy until a growth spurt got him on to the team, the rest is history.

Reply #331382 | Report this post

dodge city  
Years ago

What i kind of don't understand is why there aren't more little guys who play the role of someone who is a pure jump shooter. It seems there are a number of players in the NbA who are role playing jump shooters but all are 6.5 or more when they don't need to be.

Reply #331395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because shooters above 6'5 are able to get their shot off easier, players much smaller then that struggle against taller players if they're just a shooter, plus they suck more defensively if they're that short.

Reply #331397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spud Webb.

Reply #331459 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

If you can't guard your position you're not going to make an NBA roster no matter how good a shooter you are. 6ft shooting guards are gonna struggle guarding all the star wing players in the league and therefore are more of a liability than a weapon

Reply #331462 | Report this post

WeDaBestMaan  
Years ago

Yeh if you want to play SG in the NBA you got to be at least 6'4.

Reply #347196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Go tell Allen Iverson, Eric Gordon, Monta Ellis, Jason Terry and others that they have to be 6'4

Reply #347197 | Report this post

Mystic66  
Years ago

If Iverson was 6'4" he would still have a gig in the NBA... actually.. there might be other reasons he's not....

But if Patty Mills was 6-4 he would be starting in some teams.

M Dizzle said it. Defensive factors hurt the small guy. I don't care if you score 30. If the guy you are guarding scores 35 then you are a minus-5.

Reply #347304 | Report this post

Mystic66  
Years ago

I've just figured out why I never played NBA... I'm 5 foot 11 and a half. Damn !!!!

Reply #347305 | Report this post

hendo8888  
Years ago

Apparently Barea and Bynum are 6 foot. So clearly these numbers can't be believed too much.

Reply #347317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA players heights are in shoes, except in Durant and Garnett's case, they insisted to be labelled w/out shoes measurement. But Barea is no way 6'0, he's around Nate Robinson height.
btw Allen Iverson is only out of the league today because of his clashing attitude and refusal to accept a role on a team.
These tiny players may be able to shoot but teams want to them to be able to shoot and penetrate, Barea is the perfect model of this and hold their own defensively. Most of these guys just can't play defense and if your short, can't penetrate, it's incredibly easy to get shut down.

Reply #347371 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:23 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754