Isaac
Years ago

New NBL TV ad

See what you think:

Topic #26413 | Report this topic

cavolo  
Years ago

Not bad - quality appears to be quite good. Only suggestion I'd have is to actually slow down some of the game footage so fans/potential fans can identify the players more, take in the skill/aspect of the play.

Reply #332075 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Could have been much better.

I only saw one dunk in there..

Don't know why they played Hinder getting blocked at 14 seconds..looked crap.

Reply #332077 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Interesting: about halfway through, my 'shots of cheerleaders and/or mascots to actual players playing' ratio was running at approx 1:1.

Reply #332079 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bit Sydney-heavy perhaps, but that would be their primary market. I like that it plays off the crowds a lot. People might see scorelines or mentions in the paper, but how many even in Adelaide would have no idea of what can go down in a shed in Findon when the game is on the line.

Reply #332080 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Honestly, that's pretty bad considering the number of highlights from last season.

I can think of at least 6 game winning 3's that could have been put in there; a few alley-oop plays etc. etc.

And while I can handle the tag line; didn't the league "Go Off" last season? Can't they think of anything new?

Reply #332086 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Yes me and the boys got a mention in the dying stages of the ad. Three crazy sixer fans @ the cage earlier this year

Reply #332088 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Lots of fans and cheerleaders, but not much basketball.

If your going to show cheerleaders keep it to the kings girls when they wear yellow bottoms.

Not bad overall.

Reply #332105 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

I agree with both Isaac and Big Marty.

I agree that there were a number of great highlights that could have got a run, but we simply don't know why they had the highlights they did, and why some were missing, I'm sure theres a reason for it. Most likely cutting down on the costs involved in scouring through games looking for every little highlight we can remember. Trust me, that takes a LONG time.

and Isaacs point about the fans is spot on. The most important thing in an ad for the NBL, is selling the game night atmosphere. How many times have we brought someone to the game, and they had no idea how exciting a tight game is. That is what the NBL should be selling, the game night experience, and i think they did a good job of that.

Hopefully when the Sixers do their yearly ad this year, it revolves around the fans and the game night experience. Not guys running up and down stairs, doing sit ups and wearing trainings tops etc.

Reply #332109 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Good points people.

The "strategic advantage" of NRL are muscle bound brutes spear tackling some poor soul or some guy running the full length of the field then sliding in a try, in AFL it is the big leap mark or banana bending kick and cricket the speccy one handed catch, the hook shot six, or the clean bowled yorker.

When you see adverts for these sports, they always show this stuff.

What is the "strategic advantage" of basketball in the marketing arena? The dunk? the fade away 3 point buzzer? the alley-oop? the hype of the crowd?

Ads like these will always be a little Sydney centric just like AFL ads always have the Collingwood player taking the screamer. That's a part of life just like a union official misusing a credit card.

The crowd atmosphere is the seller. Gotta show fans going mental after a Ballinger swish seals the game on a buzzer.

Reply #332116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It got shown tonight on ch 10 during the 630 Report with George Negus...good start

Reply #332156 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, pretty average really. Madgen screaming his t*ts off was good, but you've gotta get some great dunks and spectacular plays in there. What happened to Lucas Walker's behind the back dunk from early last season? Didn't Ira Clark have a spectacular dunk? No Gary Ervin breaking someone's ankles or Penney nailing a turnaround?

They should get Coopz to put together something. He would have to do a better job than that!

Also, what about some brief storylines? Play up rivalries like the AFL do in their adverts. Let casual fans know who the good teams are and who the underdogs are.

Off the top of my head:
- Can the Breakers young guns carry their team to a second title without Penney?
- Will Patty Mills blaze a trail back to the top for the Tigers?
- Can veteran Redhage return from a serious injury to help his 'Cats reclaim the title?
- Is it time to put up or shut up for the talented Blaze?
- Can the Sixers finally overcome The Curse of the Rusty Piecart? (ok not serious about that one)

Reply #332161 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"The Curse of the Rusty Piecart" LOL

Reply #332162 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Hopefully when the Sixers do their yearly ad this year, it revolves around the fans and the game night experience. Not guys running up and down stairs, doing sit ups and wearing trainings tops etc.

Don't hold your breath Coopz, I saw the Sixers ad the season launch recently and let's just say it's extremely underwhelming and consists of poorly edited sequences taken from empty stadium pre-season games.

Reply #332179 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

some plays that could have been included

spent 30 seconds finding those.....

Reply #332183 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

All great plays though the footage for the Abercrombie put-back isn't good enough to use in an ad. Dorsey one showed a great crowd, Winder's dunk too. The problem may have been that both of those other plays are not by Australian players (actually, none of them were...). Watch the NBL ad again, and you might notice that no imports are featured. This could just be a coincidence, or a conscious decision by the league to try to distance the NBL from "just our take on an American sport."

Obviously we owe a lot to our import players through the history of the league, but if this tactic is sound and boosts crowds, is it worth it?

Might've been smart for the league to create a core ad, and then one tailored to each market for shared use with each respective club. So, that one features more Kings than other teams, another might have Ballinger and Johnson highlights, etc. Helps give clubs a quality ad base to build on.

Reply #332234 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Looks like they might have done what I mentioned - here's a Sydney Kings ad.

Reply #332267 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Terrible ad.

Where are the dunks?

The personalities?

The rivalries?

I couldn't even follow any of the plays.

As usual, the NBL doesn't spend the money required on a proper ad agency putting together a world-class product, and they lose money in the long term by not reaping the full benefits of advertising.

That whole package was something I would be satisfied to recieve from a high school film student, not an organisation trying to pit itself as "world-class".

Reply #332270 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Far from a terrible ad. It annoys me when people have the attitude that the only thing that makes basketball good is dunks.

The ad needs to be short and sharp, and some of the highlights whilst good might have been a bit too long to keep the ad interesting and at the right pace.

I think it works quite well as a teaser to leave people wanting more.

Maybe a bit too heavy on the cheerleader to game footage ration though.

Reply #332320 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

do we all get an ad? or just the 'key market'?

Reply #332321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

flanagan needs some feedback not sure he will actively do much with it however too preoccupied being two faced in other areas of the business

Reply #332335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

needed more DUNKS!!! The dunk is the most exciting play in basketball.

Reply #332506 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754