Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Pendlebury article

Longish article on former gun bball junior turned Brownlow contender, Scott Pendlebury, and his transition between the two sports.

It reads - I think unintentionally - like Mills only got an AIS spot because Pendlebury left, but I'm not sure that's right? Surely Mills was good enough and would have gotten a spot in any case?

Topic #26417 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good article.

I remember going to the hills basketball centre for some youth olympics basketball games just after scott went to the AIS and he was so balanced as a player, he was easily the best player on the australian team and the other teams.

Pat Mills was there as well but he was just a little under developed compared to scott at the time.

Pat would have gone to the AIS regardless of scott change of heart. Would've been great to see them both in the green and gold....

Reply #332152 | Report this post

Years ago

What is of more concern is that a young talent like Pendlebury was "raided" by AFL Football (and now has a very high profile).

I shudder to think what other young basketballers were reading that article and thinking "I can be like him".

Hopefully the recent publicity around the league, particularly re mills/bogut will help to temper any influence an article like this might have on our up and coming young players.

Reply #332180 | Report this post

Team Player  
Years ago

I heard he left the Tute as he clashed with the coach about his dreadlocks.
Best player in his junior age group bar Daniel Johnson lost to footy

Reply #332215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha he he didnt have dreadlocks.. he left to play a year a year of footy. he knew he was a chance to get picked up. it was a matter of "what if" something he wuld neva know if he didnt give it a crack... he also got very homesick as a young fella. AFL in melb near sale and his fam. or Euroleage overseas?

Reply #332469 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:08 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754