skip
Years ago

Townsville announce Jacob Holmes as Hinder replacment

There will be a live stream of the press conference too.

Croc TV Announcment.

My money would be on Holmes, but maybe they have done the impossible and got Bogut.... nahhh.

Topic #26432 | Report this topic

DJ Rod  
Years ago

setting up for it now...

Reply #332368 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

10am... Rod, spill the beans!

Reply #332370 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

It is Jacob Holmes.

I've ammended the thread title.

Reply #332372 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thought he'd suit them originally anyway. Fair replacement for Hinder too with not dissimilar capabilities. Plus he and Schensch are friends so that might help.

Reply #332375 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Glad to hear it. Sorry to see him leave us, but he had to be expendable with our lineup, and our results.

Best of luck to Jacob, please don't find your shooting stroke against us though! ; )

Reply #332381 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

A huge upgrade over Hinder. Great signing.

Reply #332398 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Good to see Jacob score himself an NBL gig and avoid going overseas. Stays in our league after all.

Reply #332400 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Happy to see Holmes still in the league.
He's better than quite a few bigs in the league, his height works against him, but his rebounding for his height would have to be right up there in the league.
Defence, rebounding, effort and leadership is what he brings.
Interested to see if he finds his role at Townsville, like it appears that Bruce at Sydney has and Dowdell and Hill have at Cairns.
Watch as he finds his shooting touch this season :P

Reply #332403 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Very happy to see Holmes sign for the Crocs, ticks all the boxes that we are missing. Just needs to work on that shooting percentage! Lets hope the change of scenery and friendly swamp rings does the trick.

Reply #332407 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Did anyone tune in for the live feed? My comp shat itself just before the presser so I had to do it from my phone...

Reply #332425 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

I caught a little bit of the announcement, the sound was pretty quiet, had to plug my headphones in so that I could hear it...

Reply #332427 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Yeah I did Rod. Missed all of Smythe's comments, but the majority of Woolpert's interview was clear enough.

Reply #332440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great news for the crocs - upgrade on hinder if he can hit the j consistently - would be great to see him do well in their system

Reply #332470 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

And now we wait and cringe for the game where J-Diddy drops a lazy triple double at the Dome . . . . . .

Reply #332473 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea great pick up by the crocs and great to see Jacob get a NBL gig, he is too good and too young to be out of the league.

He should compliment Schenscher well and id like to see the Crocs use him more as a SF/PF than just a undersized PF, let the import play PF.

I reckon they should start

Gill
Crawford
Holmes
Mims
Schenscher

Reply #332476 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Holmes is a decent enough replacement, but nowhere near up to Hinder's standard. They will miss Hinder I think...

Reply #332480 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Jake will come back and bite the Sixers on the ar5se. Another bad call by our club.

Reply #332490 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Jake will come back and bite the Sixers on the ar5se. Another bad call by our club.

Reply #332491 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

..... there's a bad echo in here .....

Reply #332492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will start Schenscher at centre, Mims and Crawford as forwards, Michael Cedar and Gill as guards. They will need Allen to step up this year now as he is the only big in reserve.

Reply #332494 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Good on you big guy,find any excuse not to play against us!

Reply #332505 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Are you kidding LC? Hinder has been out of his depth in the NBL for about 18 months now. He's got the yips at the free throw line, can't grab a rebound to save himself, and is constantly missing defensive rotations and turning the ball over. Just watching him try to run up and down the court this preseason was cringe worthy. Rusty is done. And he was cooked long before this injury.

Holmes is a competent offensive player and a great rebounder: something the Crocs are sorely lacking and have been for a while. Hopefully Ben Allen can learn a lot from him and erase all those bad habits he learnt playing at a second-rate school like St. Mary's.

Reply #332512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah I agree - Allen really needs to step it up this season - otherwise he's going down the same path of craig bradshaw

Reply #332514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick, in the game he injured himself, Hinder had 15pts on 6/13fgs (3/6 3pts), 3rebs, 4ass and 4tos. Albeit in a preseason game, still not bad number in 26mins esp as the 3/4/5th option in O.

He brings leadership and heart to that squad, something that will take Jake a while to slip into.

While i think its a good signing long term, in the short term the Crocs will need other senior players to step up. (PC, M Cedar, Schensch).

Reply #332518 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon '514, I don't think Ben Allen has even found Craig Bradshaw's path let alone started following it! (And I say that not being much of a Bradshaw fan.)

As for Hinder, I don't think he's quite as bad as Mick makes him out to be. 80%+ FT, 40%+ 3P (11th in league). 8 PPG and 6 RPG in mid-range minutes. Has been pretty steady since his one breakout season (presumably that strong year with the Pirates?).

Also, doubt it will take that much time for Holmes to exert his leadership/heart - comes naturally for him. I do agree that he'll be a good fit for them though and not really a downgrade on Hinder.

Reply #332519 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Rusty is a great character, all around nice guy and a great off-the-floor leader, he just can't get much done on the court any more, and sometimes I think he wants to win so bad that he can't put a solid performance together in a big moment. These are traits of a young player not a veteran leader. I'd like to see him in more of a Juwan Howard type role: locker room leader, gets a couple of minutes a game and everything you get from him is a bonus; rather than relying on him to lead a team ON THE COURT.

Reply #332549 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:57 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754