Donny
Years ago

Could a new team survive in Adelaide in the NBL?

Could the Adelaide market handle another team?

I know of someone who is keen to buy the 36ers, but if that can't happen he may try and buy a licence and set up a team in Adelaide. I'm sure they could use the powerhouse.

Would love to see a Basketball Showdown. Plus I think 2 teams in Adelaide would give BBall more coverage in Adelaide.

Plus I believe the current 36ers board has pissed off so many supporters that a lot would switch over to a new team.

If QLD can have 3 teams, I think Adelaide can support 2 teams. Trick is the owners of a new Adelaide team need to have the funds to run it well and not try and charge near $30 for walk up tickets like the 6ers have been. They need to have cheaper seats, get new people coming to the games and people that havent been able to afford it.

When Power came in the AFL in 1997, the interest in AFL definately grew straight away. I know that it gets boring supporting a team when you are the only team in the state, there is no one paying you out when you lose and more importantly, you can't bag people out like all the Crows fans have been this week to the power.

Topic #2648 | Report this topic

Degenerate  
Years ago

I don;t really know for sure, with Adelaide aving only 1 million people and a lot are not interested in basketaball. The idea is great but do you creating a team that can compete well in the league. A lot of financial planning etc.

You see Queensland with 3 million people and actually has a lot of other small cities and towns in it, like Townsville and Cairns.

What would a decent town that could construct and hold a stadium be? Do we have one whioh a lot of people would attend?

That would be my question

Reply #29911 | Report this post

Walt Whitman  
Years ago

Keen to buy the sixers! Are you serious? Adelaide could defiently not have two teams in this state, not enough paying basketball fans!

Reply #29914 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

No Way could adelaide support two teams even though current admin have pissed of supporters most would still stick with the sixers,

the new team would struggle both financially and fan wise look at the power even though they are sucessfull they still pull small crowds and are financially unstable

unfortunetly adelaide is a 1 team town and it has been proved with other national sports as well NSL adelaide city and west adelaide 2 teams struggled but now there is 1 team its thriving

so i think a secound team in SA would be a financial nightmare for the owner either that or 1 of the 2 team would fold with in a couple years and lets face it i believe 99% of basketball supporters would rather see the 36ers continue with there proud and succesfull heritage then support a new team with no heritage or history,

all that needs to happen is basa and sixer admin need to sort out there in house stuff quickly and get back on track and if that means the sixers have to become a seperate enitity from basa then so be it, either way i think the government need to get tough now and threated to take back the dome to kick start a much needed cleanout within the basa and sixers structure

well thats my two cents

open for critisim as im sure there will be

Reply #29927 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

There is no way in the world that Adelaide could support to teams it struggles to get the seats filled for the one that they have already. It's a nice idea but I don't think that it could every become a reality because the demand is just not big enough they need to get the support up for the team that they already have before they introduce another one.

Reply #29949 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

I like the theory as it would definately put some competion in the adelaide basketball market for fans money. That would only bring ticket prices and merchandise prices down which would be awesome then attracting more people..It would definately hype basketball in SA as each time the teams played each other the papers would have a field day, TV may even cover it on the news.
Unfortunately I dont think it will ever happen as the sixers would have a deal at the dome and would make a new team build a brand new stadium.

Reply #29950 | Report this post

Donny  
Years ago

I think that the Government would make the 36ers share the Dome. Plus BASA could probably get more money for naming rights if the dome is used twice as much.

Interstate teams could play in Adelaide two nights in a row against different teams.

There are a lot of pluses but maybe not enough interest in Adelaide for a second team.

I myself like basketball and see the 36ers 3-4 times a year, but my heart just isnt with them. Maybe a new team could satisfy people similar to me looking for a new team. But are there enough like me?

Reply #29973 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Donny, we've had a long discussion on this very topic before. Let me find you a link.

A 2nd NBL Licence for Adelaide »

Advantages:

- better usage of the Dome for BASA
- including double car parking, double catering, etc
- the showdowns would be huge
- a 2nd team could offer a big discount to anyone who was a member of both teams
- more profile for the sport
- easy to attract marquee NBL events like the All*Star game or Blitz
- visiting teams could play each Adelaide team on successive nights

Disadvantages:

- license would be more effective elsewhere for the NBL (Tasmania, Gold Coast, etc)
- sponsorship could be tough
- slow pick-up of new fans
- if 36ERS follow through with affordable tickets and a better rapport with fans, a new team will have limited opportunities to differentiate themselves

I think it'd have a chance at succeeding, but certainly not guaranteed. Realistically, we're better off hoping that the current club can turn things around and get the Dome full again.

Reply #29979 | Report this post

joo  
Years ago

they also said that adelaide couldnt support two afl teams.... that was proved wrong. why couldnt it work for adelaide. and hey how many young players dont get the chance at an nbl team at the moment, but a second team could open a few more doors for up and coming players in the acadamy and in the local abl comp

Reply #30036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would be great for hoops in sa bring some attention to the game

Reply #30217 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Yes they said adelaide cant support 2 adelaide teams in the AFL and Port is struggling big time financially INFACT if they didn't get the big time bonus for winning the GF then the year would have been another loss.

The thing is though Port power would get a hand out from the afl if it ever got to that stage and i cant see that with the nbl

Reply #30278 | Report this post

negyven_negy  
Years ago

I don't think that a new team would be able to survive financially in SA. They might not be able to afford the cost of everything to do with it. I personally don't think theres a need for it either.
Why don't the Northern Territory have a team in anything? I know it's not the best place to live, but NT athletes would surely like a team in the national league of either NBL or AFL.

Reply #30305 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Tasmania needs to have a team and it would probably succeed there. Just look at when AFL games are played down there. They all get excited and pack out the stadium. Because they don't have an AFL team or NBL team, they are probably starved of spectator sport at National level. The population in Hobart would successfully support an NBL team. Not only that, the next largest town being Launceston is only an hour and half drive from Hobart.

Reply #30322 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:37 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754