Isaac
Years ago

NH: Dispute between AFL and players

AFL lashes players' travel demands

AFL players looking for a few concessions that the league are painting as excessive (own room on the road, etc).

Someone told me the other week that the percentage of AFL income as a whole that goes to players is far lower than the percentage received by players in major US leagues. Anyone got real data or time to search and calculate?

I pointed to a few struggling clubs and this person said that the AFL themselves pockets a lot and builds a significant war chest enabling them to control which clubs live and die to some extent.

This person is in the sporting "know" and thought that a dispute between the players and the league couldn't be more than a year or two off.

Anyone following this closely? The article I've linked is the first I've heard of any dramas other than the prediction mentioned.

Topic #26494 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The difference being that the AFL is the peak body of the sport in Australia.

The NBA and NFL are not the peak bodies. USA Basketball is the peak body of basketball in the USA.

The AFL in Australia is also responsible for developing the game at all levels, the NBA is not.

If the players are successful in obtaining more money as a percentage of income then that money will come out of funding of the SANFL development programs, Country Leagues, local suburban football and programs like AusKick.

Reply #333282 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good point anon. Do you know if MLB, NFL, etc play that role in the US?

Here's an opinion piece from Akermanis.

NFL players get 60% of league revenue. Major league baseball is at 47%. With Cricket Australia it's 30%. Netball is north of 25%. AFL is at 25%.

Anyone care to guess the figure for the NBL?

Reply #333285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MLB contribute to the development of the sport worldwide. I know they have helped fund the new Australian League. They don't fund junior development programs. Some clubs do that directly some don't.

The AFL spends millions on junior development programs. Those millions come from the AFL TV deal and other sponsorship revenue.

Not Peak body: NFL players get 60% of league revenue. Major league baseball is at 47%.

Peak body: Cricket Australia it's 30%. Netball is north of 25%. AFL is at 25%.

Like I said. If players take more of a cut that means less money for junior development.

NBL is interesting as it isn't the peak body. Clubs are generally privately owned not clubs with members lick Cricket, AFL and Netball.

I would suggest given the small amount of money the sport generates and the big player contracts in place that the NBL would be spending a much higher percentage then those other Australian sports.

Reply #333291 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Anon , the AFL doesn't pay for Auskick. It is run by volunteers and paid for by sponsorship.

My exposure to country football is that they run their associations as a business and there are no hand outs.

The same argument that is being used by the NBA players at present and the NFL players in the past will be used by the AFL players soon enough.

The players see themselves as the draw card, which to some extent they are. However the game stays the same and the names change over time. For instance there would be plenty of people in Chicago that go to Bulls games even though Jordan doesn't play any more.

There is an obvious argument though that more people went to Bulls games to see Jordan play.

So the question of revenue ownership depends on if you think people are there to see the circus or a performer.

The players will argue they have only a short window to earn a wage in the sport, the owners ( AFL) will argue they need to retain revenues to protect the future of the sport and guard against any down turns.

It is a finely balanced argument and history suggests not an easy position to define.

Reply #333293 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

BJF there are handouts to country leagues, every player that makes their league debut for an AFL club is issued money by the AFL. I am not 100% on the amount but let's call it $10,000. On debut the AFL sends that money to the club that player last played for, EG. Sturt, Bendigo etc. and that club is then charged to feed that money down to the club that the player in question played juniors for eg. Matty Jaensch is from Hahndorf so his club should have been given some $'s. I believe more money is handed down after every milestone match 50,100,150... but it is a lesser amount. So if you are lucky enough to have a player drafted directly from your country club then you pocket all of the money.

Reply #333302 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Nutwork. That is a great system and one that basketball should adopt. The Southern Tigers would be a powerhouse on the back of Jingles and Schensch.

Reply #333303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJF AusKick in your area might be selfsufficent but the program isn't.

NAB sponsor it because they get national exposure through the AFL's TV Deal. No TV Deal, No commercials during AFL games, no NAA sponsorship of AusKick.

AFL pays for or receives the commercial space through its TV Deal and AFL allocates x% of space to AusKick as part of their promotion of it.

When did you last see the NBL advertise Aussie Hoops? Or the NBA promote junior basketball programs? Doesn't happen.

Reply #333307 | Report this post

NBA agent  
Years ago

Is it true that andrew demitrio earns more than any player cause in my eyes that shouldnt happen no matter how hard he works

Reply #333311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nutwork - in WA if a player from the country wants to nominate for AFL Draft they must play at least one game in the WAFL that year - colts, reserves or league.
Then if that player gets drafted, the WAFL club they played for gets around $10,000 from the AFL as a concession, while the country club gets only $500.
Been a major talking point in WA country footy for a while since a very large number of players get drafted from that area.

Reply #333313 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

Anon 333313, different in SA, as I understand it.

Henley Football Club, just as an example have had 13 players drafted into the AFL over the years (who nominated Henley as their Junior Club) including Matthew Pavlich (who they continue to receive payment from the AFL for, via Woodville-West Torrens), but the payment is substantially more than $500.

The Person I know at Henley told me that these funds have contributed strongly to them being able to have Lights good enough to play games under at the Club.

Reply #333314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, BJF said that Auskick was paid for by sponsorship.

My guess for the NBL would be around the 30-35% mark.

Reply #333315 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Demetriou earns 4 million dollars a year as CEO of the AFL.

Players who get drafted ---The players TAC Cup team receive $10,000 I think, but their regular club just get about $500 I think. This is why many TAC Clubs get players who have potential even though they cannot play to save their lives. A player I knew couldnt even get a regular game with his local club, but was on the Eastern Ranges list. He was 6'8 so they just had him on the list in case some AFL teams decided to take a punt on him. A bit like Zac Clarke for Fremantle -inexperinced tall player with basketball background.

Reply #333375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@nba agent, yep, 2.2 mil

Reply #333377 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:52 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754