Isaac
Years ago

Tigers announce Greer as captain

Right call?

Wonder if Corletto might've been a reasonable option had Mills not signed with Melbourne?

Topic #26496 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

It was Cam Tragardh last season. Wonder what he did wrong?

Reply #333281 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Greer is a bit too inexperienced for my liking.

I can see why they didn't choose Mills - Obviously they want a captain who they know will be there for the entire season.

But its so strange that he was selected over Ubaka and Trigger, and even Burston.

I would have thought Ubaka would be the logical choice, given he is a PG with experience, or Trigger would also be logical given the fact he will play big minutes.

Will Greer play enough to constitute a worthy selection as captain? Doesn't make sense given the captaincy to someone who may not even be out on the court in the last 2 mins of the 4th quarter.

Reply #333287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As far as the Tigers are concerned it really wouldnt matter who is the captain, the fat controller is the captain, owner and executioner... had to pick someone, guess greer is the least likely to pipe up when things go wrong haha

Reply #333295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Greer is a bit too inexperienced for my liking."

Tragardh and Greer are the same age and Trigger has only been in the league one year longer than Greer (Triggger's first few seasons were as a development player as well).

Reply #333296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i heard he was trying to get out of his contract as recently as a month ago?

Reply #333298 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Anon, but I would be compelled to suggest that Trigger has played alot more than Greer over those years.

Pretty much where he has been, he has been part of starting 5.

Reply #333300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greer 152 games to Tragardh 197 games. Wouldn't say Greer is inexperienced with 150+ games under his belt.

Reply #333305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow..Trigger must have down something wrong to be pulled as the team captain!

Over in Melb town he seemed to attend all of the events and do a pretty good job @ representing the club so it must be an incident or off court clash!!

Reply #333306 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've seen Greer as something of a spine for the team over the last couple of years. Seems to retain a bit of heart when others have gone missing or crumbled. Could've gone joint with Tragardh, but otherwise I think Greer is a decent pick.

Reply #333309 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Great Pick, Tommy is heart and soul of the team.

Is anybody aware as to how it was decided, player vote?

Reply #333312 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Someone mentioned player vote on Twitter.

Reply #333317 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Trigger's first three (at least) years were spent on the end of the bench not even getting time most games. Don't know what you're talking about MACDUB...

Reply #333325 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The concern I have is will Greer play enough to be a good captain? At the end of the day, my philosophy is that you want your captain on the Court in the dying stages of the 4th quarter..I don't think he would be part of the best 5 on the court.

Melbourne are extremely loaded at that SF position with Greer, Rush, Bennie Lewis, Dorsey, Lucas Walker etc all able to play there.

A part of me thinks he will see decreased minutes this year. Last year he had to compete with minutes with Lewis and Walker; mainly because Melbourne loaded up the 4 and 5 spot.

Now they have brought in Rush and Dorsey; who IMO are much more skilled than Greer.

Just a train of thought.

Reply #333344 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Agree with MACDUB........will the guy play enough minutes and be on the court enough to have an influence?

Reply #333359 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Captain in basketball and most other sports that have a coach calling the shots during a game (American football, baseball etc) is a mainly a ceremonial role with some club leadership required, but this leadership is more about the example you set on and off the court. It is about respect and effort etc. This differs a lot from say cricket where the captain has a huge tactical role. In basketball the coach and PG look after the tactics and so it matters little if the capt is on the court or not. TRhis is why Matty Campbell is the Hawks capt and why BJ Carter was capt of the Kings I believe under Goorj. They are sort of like the Queen or the GG. The country runs the same reguardless of what ability they have.

Reply #333368 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I wonder if Greer will play some PF if Rush struggles there? He is a strong rebounder for his size and they don't have the height to play too much of Burston and Tragardh at the same time (no back-up).

Reply #333379 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Interesting call but good luck to him!

Reply #333476 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754