Anonymous
Years ago

New NBL Site Design

While the NBL usually refreshes their look every year, i was taken by surprise that they decided to update this one, what do people think?

Topic #26503 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

The lack of video content provided by the NBL is what continues to keep fans at bay.

We are living in 2011, and the NBL's iphone app considers "game photos" as exclusive content.

Every single game should have a 2-3 minute video recap on the website. Last year I had no idea what my team even looked like, considering they only had 3 games on TV and I wasn't living in the region so couldn't get to games.

Reply #333413 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Yeah they need more than 4 videos on their youtube site... I think most teams are using initiative with the crocs tv cats tv etc so hopefully some game recaps are uploaded too.. plays of the week? Or does our good friend ONE own all game footage?

Reply #333420 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

NBL needs a League Pass service.

Probably wouldn't be profitable, but hey, it'd be awesome.

Reply #333425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big agree with league pass, there are still areas that dont get onehd and not able to use vast. In in stalls for the weekend and disappointed that I cant watch the opening round

Reply #333440 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

i like the design - agree with need of more video

Reply #333468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok to clear that last bit up I'm in whyalla this weekend and dissapointed i cant see the opening round. (silly phone)

Reply #333471 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think the site is so so. The photos they have accompanying the main articles scrolling on the front page are all pretty crap which taints the whole site IMO. Look at NBA.com and the photos they showcase are all ridiculously good, obviously their stadiums are lit far better and they have many more and much better photographers sitting court side covering games but still, the photos on NBL look amateurish.

Otherwise, I watched one of the youtube videos and dare I say it gave me goosebumps? Really liked it, hopefully they'll continue to add to these as the season continues.

Reply #333489 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Couldn't see what had changed when people initially talked about this. The key things are basically the same, but promos and widget boxes have been tweaked. Did think it was a bit awkward showing ladder and league leaders until they actually exist. Mostly it's a bit of a mish-mash which quickly happens when there are so many competing features - have to sympathise with designers in this position because they are always taking direction from others needing to feature sponsors, promos, widgets, etc.

But as you said billo, the photos are inexcusably bad. They look like 20% quality JPGs. Same goes with the social media icons top right - no sharpness at all. Either the source photos are horrible (though that wouldn't explain the icons) or they've been over-optimised due to some request to get the load time way down. We might not have a pool of photos on par with those the NBA have, but surely the league has better than that.

Reply #333491 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

See, One owning exclusive rights is a double edged sword.

They own the footage, but they don't value it, so they won't put any money behind it.

What happened to Fox's guarantee several years ago of putting 20 mil (could be wrong?) into the game over four years or something? At least the games were live, and if you didnt have Foxtel you could go to the pub...

No more pay-per-view live streams of games now with One owning the rights, either.

Reply #333498 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't remember for sure, but I think that money included production costs which Fox could easily doctor like the big movie companies in Hollywood have their famous accounting tricks that guarantee that any big movie mysteriously loses money on paper.

Reply #333507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fairly sure it was 35 over 5 years

Reply #333516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I particularly like this new page:

http://www.nbl.com.au/scheduleresults/201112-season/

Reply #333518 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Haven't really had time to look at the site properly, but one thing that really irks me is not being able to tell at a glance which team is the home team in each matchup.

The Yanks always have BOS @ NYK for eg, so everyone instantly knows Boston is playing on the Knicks homecourt. Aussie basketball people must have seen this and yet we persist with an inferior method of presenting matchups. Why?

Reply #333534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Home team is always listed first in Australian sports..infact the American method of listing the home team second can be somewhat frustrating.

Reply #333544 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:05 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754