Anonymous
Years ago

Bring back 48 minute games?

now that One's showing a delayed version of the game, should the NBL consider in the next few years to go back to the 48minutes format? I've personally always favoured it.

Obviously Adelaide games like last night would be terrible for the extended time but I wouldn't mind see more of the Tigers v Sydney's game on Friday. Thoughts?

Topic #26536 | Report this topic

Ipswich2  
Years ago

Will they be delayed all season?

Reply #333998 | Report this post

Ipswich2  
Years ago

Will they be delayed all season?

Reply #333999 | Report this post

Dan  
Years ago

yes delayed all season. I totally agree should be back to 48mins

Reply #334001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

48 minutes would just be sooooo awesome, it would make soooo much of a difference. Mske it happen it would be amazing.

Reply #334005 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

What would it achieve?

Reply #334009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fans prefer 48 minutes, the league should switch back, if they want the non-die hard fans to be more inclinced to support the leagie, it has to be as similar to the NBA as it can.

Reply #334011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why have attendances gone up since it has gone to 40 minutes then? I honestly dont think people care. Most players in Australia play 40 minutes, why would they dislike watching 40 minutes?

Reply #334012 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

40 minutes is a disgrace. Bring back 48 !

Reply #334015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mam they can't handle ten minute quarters now

Reply #334016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its 40 cos FIBA made the rule change when the changed the key lay out, no charge zone and spalding balls etc...i think.

Pretty sure nbl wouldnt change back until FIBA said so...

Correct me if im wrong...

Reply #334018 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stick with 40.

Reply #334022 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

personally I think 48 is better but 40 is in line with FIBA rules which the NBL follows so..

Reply #334026 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Isaac, I've commented on this topic a thousand times. It comes down to whether you believe the NBL is basketball or entertainment. The rule was changed to 40 minutes to better align with basketball internationally etc. However, I don't believe the NBL is basketball - it's an entertainment product like the NBA and as such, 48 minutes is the way to go. I'm not a fan of 40 and if the NBA changed to 40, then perhaps I could be swayed.

Reply #334028 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why would you be swayed if the NBA changed? Because what they dictate as entertainment goes? Shouldn't you judge it on what works or doesn't work? If 48 is better than 40, why not 60 minute games?

I doubted the change initially, then I noticed myself getting bored through 48 minutes of NBA. Some stretches just seemed to drag on.

A switch back to 48 is not going to solve anything but appease Daniel Eade for five minutes.

Reply #334031 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

40 minutes is long enough to watch. Less wear and tear on players. Games like last night, you want them to hurry up and finish before it blows out any further. Good games where your team is mostly leading, you want it to hurry up and finish so they can seal the win. I can't see any benefits whatsoever of having longer games.

Reply #334034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the NBL is meant to be entertainment, it's more value for money having 48 minute games, it allows for more fast breaks and exciting basketball as the game is more free flowing because the defense drops, which is the only way the NBL will succeed in this country. Just look at the 90's, a free flowing fast break style of basketball which was exciting, the game nowadays is a boring grind.

Reply #334035 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Don't people make stupid big statements here?

| fans prefer 48 minutes,

Sorry mate, i am a fan and have always preferred 40 minute basketball - its even better now its played in quarters not halves.

|if they want the non-die hard fans to be more inclinced to support the leagie, it has to be as similar to the NBA as it can.

Really? I reckon we should differentiate it from the NBA - what if you could use the platform to tell the GP this is a very different game to what is played in the NBA, how it's real sport, a fact that Australian's appreciate, rather than the hoopla and contrived rules to ensure stars star every single game? The Australian sporting public is simply not as shallow as you think it is.

Reply #334037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

48 minutes mean Perth score 150 last night :-)

Reply #334043 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

40 mins is fine,as a basketball game.
as an (at game)entertainment package they should
*limit the timeouts in the last minute,they totally ruin the home crowd momentum eg.when used by opposition to do exactly that.
*give us a bit more time between qtrs to have a piss and 'spend some money' on f&b.
*get some b'ball kids to sell pies/lollies in the isles to limit foot traffic.

Reply #334046 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Wouldn't mind seeing those playing well on the night for a few more minutes.
Can getta bit scruffy running 11 or 12 players thru 40 minutes.

Reply #334047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To HO
I'm not talking about the die hard fans who go onto forums, i'm talking about the ones that at the moment couldn't care less about the NBL. And a 40 minute game is not value for money and appealing to the pocket of people. The game needs to be sold as entertainment, which means game time must increase to 48 minutes, they support the NBA more, make the NBL a similar product and they may support the league. It's the die-hard fans who do not understand what needs to be done to grab the casual aussie NBA fan.

Reply #334052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a longer game, longer time on tv->more sponsor money?

Reply #334054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also why try to be so anti-america when people think basketball it's basically related to US-in general

Reply #334055 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

LOL @ the Daniel Eade comment.

Reply #334071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You do realise that more people watch NBL in Australia than NBA?

Reply #334079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And for that matter that 'these people' who dont care about NBL probably didnt care about it when it was 48 minutes either?

Reply #334080 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I still love this amazing thinking that 48 minutes = more entertainment or that 48 minutes will help a decision maker decide to come to a game.

"Shit, I am not going to the NBL anymore, because the game used to be over by 10pm and now its done by 930 - not good enough!"

Entertainment is relative. As the game started in Adelaide someone posted on one of the threads here about how lame the night felt, music was poor etc.

That is commentary on the entertainment, on the game night package. It had nothing to do with the length of the game.

You can run a great game night around either format of the game. But having one more timeout (yep, that's all you get extra in the 48 minute game) which the coach may not even use, hardly qualifies as "better entertainment".

As for on court, you will get good and bad games, whatever the length. You will get great dunks in a 40 minute game, and you will get shit, turnover fuelled rubbish in a 48 minute game. There is no formula that says one will be better because it is longer. Take Friday night - people were saying what a great game it was between Sydney and Melbourne - mainly for the Tiger's comeback, guess what, it happened within 40 minutes.

I understand people like the 48 minute game. But stop trying to justifying it being reintroduced on the basis of "entertainment".

Reply #334088 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

40mins is great. My sister takes her 2 kids to the Breakers home games and loves the fact it isn't drawn out and they are home at a reasonable hour so her boys can go to school the next day.

Reply #334092 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

For entertainment purposes and the general good of humanity, 36ers games should be reduced to a half court shoot-out and game of HORSE until further notice.

Reply #334107 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

hereschenes, the half-court shoot out at the game did get some of the loudest applause on Saturday...

Reply #334115 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

44 minute games! Problem solved, everybody happy!

Reply #334119 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'd prefer 39

Reply #334123 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I don't care as long as game night packages are overhauled league wide. Embarassing as hell trying to bring a non-fan to the game...

Reply #334181 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Never had anyone Ive brought to an NBL game complain.

Reply #334190 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't find that. Performance of the team aside, non-fans I've taken seem to enjoy it. One friend of mine that I've taken along a few times in the past on my tickets has this year bought a season ticket and another for his young son (who dropped footy to focus on basketball). Luckily he was interstate for the first game so escaped the Perth devastation...

Reply #334191 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Personally, I feel 48 mins favours the deeper teams. 40 mins = fewer blowouts = better entertainment.

My $0.02.

Reply #334218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am just so frustrated. I sensed on the weekend the 36ers were about to make a run; they had worked out the Wildcats and were primed to make a come from behind victory only to be robbed by the missing 8 minutes!!!!!!!!!

Reply #334226 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:04 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754