JOaRiDrAN
Years ago

The Golden Era DVD

Finally got to watch "The Golden Era" last night. I'll be honest, I didn't have high expectations, but it was quite good. Well done sixers!

I had no idea Al Green and Mark Davis were that good in their prime. I just remember a slow Davis playing well past his prime, but now I can see why they kept him around, he was a gun! And Darryl Pearce could like Mahersy!

Anyway, It finished with a "To be continued..." does anyone know when another one is coming out?

Topic #26537 | Report this topic

pure silk  
Years ago

As I am 36 years old , I was there when we played at Apollo and let me say this " no one was better than Mark "Pudd" Davis , he was the star make no mistake about that. apologies to Brett Maher but he paled in comparison to the great man. Mark had people coming to the games when he played for South and the 36ers and was loved. Definately the greatest 36ers IMO but i can appreciate those who think otherwise who were not arount in the great mans era !!

Reply #334048 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Have heard good things about the Golden era video. how do i go about picking up a copy?

Reply #334060 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

Um sorry but all the work on the DVD was done by Lennon Cooper. The 36er only came on board when they saw how good it was going to be.

So u should be saying well done Lennon as he did this off his own back and the tiny amount of money made from it when straight to licensing.

Reply #334072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@phantom not quite right but yes Lennon did all of the work for little reward. from what I hear the next one will be a cracker too.

Re Pudd and the whole 80's team it certainly set the bar for lofty expectation every year afterwards.

Not often you have that many HOF'ers on the one team. And not often one of those rises above the rest.

I think in the 87 finals Pudd average 25 rebounds per game. Think about that for a moment.

Reply #334096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://shopdesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&ProductID=19059&OrgID=5973

Reply #334306 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The 36ers of the mid-late 1980s were an awesome team from coach Cole through to players like Green, Davis, Pearce, Billy Jones, Dwayne Nelson, Peter Ali etc. I sadly never saw the 36ers live until 1994 so can't say I ever got to a game at Apollo but even as a kid growing up I never missed the 36ers when they were on TV with Peter McKay doing commentary and IIRC, Boti was the sideline reporter.

What was good about Al Green wasn't just his speed and athletic ability but he really wasn't a PG, he was a SG who changed his natural game for the sake of the team. In the early 80s he was untouchable as a scorer and still holds NBL single game point scoring records but under Cole he shared the scoring with team mates and as we know scores of 120+ per game weren't uncommon . And just on that, where has the free flowing scoring from then gone????? I know the focus is more on defense these days but games where both teams struggle to score over 80 ppg aren't as fun to watch IMO. Might be another reason crowds are down compared to the boom of the 90s.....

Might pop the DVD in and watch it again actually. Need to remind myself that the 36ers once knew how to win a championship.

Reply #334313 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Make that Andrew McKay doing commentary. Peter McKay (also a journalist) is a motoring writer and former part time motor racer.

Reply #334316 | Report this post

Channel 7  
Years ago

Actually, make that Andrew Kay....

Reply #334466 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:11 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754