Statman
Years ago

Blaze import Mike English sent packing

Joey Wright and the Blaze have pulled the trigger pretty quickly by sacking import Mike English.

He had a shocker in the opening game and clearly has some issues going on in his personal life at the moment that he needs to address so its home time for him.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/10/10/355851_gold-coast-blaze.html

Topic #26543 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

the NBL continues to spit out Imports

Reply #334106 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

This one appears to be for more serious reasons than Bball though, but overall i agree with that assessment mystro! Miss the stable days, when an import potentially stayed for numerous seasons. Just doesnt happen enough thesedays...wow i sound old!

Reply #334110 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Its a pity as this guy could play.

Reply #334116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What were the issues? Blaze not very supportive then?

Reply #334117 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

With the Blaze desperately needing offensive options to help Mark Worthington shoulder the scoring load...
Desperately? Gibson? Goulding? Petrie? Hudson? Hoare?

Reply #334125 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'm not sure how a professional basketball club can support an Import player who went 0/5, 4 rebounds, 4 turnovers and fouled out in almost 17 1/2 minutes. The only positive was the 2 steals he had.

Reply #334128 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Agree Kobe24, there aren't to many teams with Imports that have been on their roster for more than a season in the NBL at the moment.

I would like to see Wilkinson stick around at the Breakers for a few seasons, i like the energy and hustle he brings and the fact that he has that same energy and passion when he's on the bench and Pledger comes on for him and blocks some one or hits a shot. Great guy to have around.

Reply #334131 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Agree Isaac - not sure how desperate we are for offensive output, but defensively we are definately need of a fair kick up the arse!

Reply #334137 | Report this post

Ferbee Marmiento  
Years ago

This is actually the biggest Joke, Mike English is a genuine star of the game, this is just pure racism

Reply #334155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

confused a touch here. stats just posted indicated he was not the best choice then, but others saying the guy had game?

Reply #334156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how does race have anything to do with it!?!

Reply #334159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Racism ???????

Reply #334164 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, racism from a black coach. Nice one.

Blocked for posting the other dribble I've since deleted.

Reply #334167 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Cairns import Andrew Warren went one better then English with the stats of 0 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 turnover in 31 minutes

Reply #334168 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Andrew Warren will be the next to go in my opinion....has done nothing since arriving and I actually thought he would have been sacked by now!

Reply #334185 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He came in as a sharp shooter and hasnt hit much. But some people at the game Saturday said he did some nice things that dont show up on the stats sheet. Fearne did play him 31 mins which indicates he wasnt stinking it up, but he is going to have to do a lot more than that to keep his job more than a few weeks you would think.

As for English, the Vegas camp didnt quite produce what Wright was hoping. Blaze do deserately need a penetrater and someone who can lock down a wing at the other end.

Reply #334188 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

is it scouting problem or what? from memory didn't these 3 teams (Cairns, GC and gong) all went to Vegas for some kinda tryout camp? seems like they got partied up instead.

in saying all this, from what I've seen so far I think imports this year overall is stronger than previous years.

Jerai Grant
Cedric Jackson
Chris Warren
Wilkinson (from last yr)
Lisch (from last yr)
Ubaka (from last yr)

IMO those 3 new imports this yr look like they maybe something. I was pretty impressed.

Reply #334195 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Anyone know the issues?

Joey flew over to the US to secure him so his ability is not in question.

Drugs, alcohol, wife beater?

Reply #334196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pretty racist

Reply #334200 | Report this post

opt  
Years ago

I think the problem with imports is that we have to stop looking at how much of a better quality they've been in the past. They've always been a step above the rest.
I think that Australians are starting to step up there game and become alot better players and this is why the imports aren't standing out.
Just my observation

Reply #334261 | Report this post

Maxx  
Years ago

James Legan has been training with them since Mike arrived... Will he now be given the spot.?

Reply #334263 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

i don't think it's the Aussies getting better, which they are but i think the primary factor is the quality of the import with Europe and Asia now paying more money it's harder to get big time imports like Donta Smith that just demand so much more

Reply #334276 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

For me definitely more so the Euro and Asian markets being able to throw the cash at borderline NBA types.

Reply #334278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the NBL was played in the winter season those borderline NBA types may return to play here in their offseason? Just a thought.

Reply #334279 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

i'd think so since many of them are trying to earn as much as they can while in their prime so it make sense

Reply #334284 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:17 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754