kr
Years ago

Should TV games be delayed til next day?

I thought I'd throw this out there. If all One hd games are going to be delayed, should Friday and Saturday games be delayed until the next morning. 10.30 is obviously very late to stay up and watch a game and only the die hard Basketball fans would bother. However if games were delayed until Saturday and Sunday mornings say 8-9am, that then makes games available for supporters of all ages to watch. Surely this would open the game up to a much greater audience and contect with the family demographic it seems to be missing.
Also all Sunday games played at 5.30 again to involves families and replayed at 8.30pm.

Topic #26549 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

If Sat/Sun mornings are more lucrative, why would OneHD want to do that?

For the games so far, I've found that after I've followed livestats or checked the score online after a game, I've had little interest in watching the delayed telecast. I think so far I've only caught the end commentary from the 36ers game (got home around midnight or whenever it was wrapping up) and about five minutes of the third quarter of Hawks-Breakers. I'd either have to be very interested in seeing someone play or avoid scores all evening before watching the game (which is tough).

Reply #334224 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

PVR's (ie. recorders) are widely available these days and not crazy expensive as they used to be so you could just record the replay at 10.30pm and then watch it whenever suits you (ie. saturday 8.30am).

Reply #334227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should be live not effin delayed!
U can't tell me one wouldn't be losing a shit load. No one is getting to watch game. The nbl is dead for the fans in regional australia or cities without nbl sides to see live games

Reply #334230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not just move it to channel 11?

Reply #334239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont know about everyone else but me and the missus either sometimes work on sat or at the least are doing errands or breakfast with family yada yada on sat mornings. if the younger demographic go out friday / saturday nights and sleep in which they do, might rule them out too. interesting suggestion but not sure if ten have any interest in looking to appease the public on this one even in some way ?

Reply #334244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a shame the NBL can't seem to get things right.
I'm a die hard ball fan and really wanted to get in to this season but I'm not staying up until some crap hour to catch a game. I shouldn't have to purchase a dvr just so I can watch it. They should be broadcasting at a reasonable hour seeing there are lots of kids that are in to the sport too.
Also, why is it taking so long for some highlights from the NBL.
Seeing I won't be seeing any games this year, some highlights from the game would be great. Where are they?

No wonder the NBL is a 3rd rate sport in this country

Reply #334249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"For the games so far, I've found that after I've followed livestats or checked the score online after a game, I've had little interest in watching the delayed telecast"

Exactly. I'm in the same boat with this, i think i'll be seeing a record low amount of games now..

Reply #334255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The other angle too is that 3 hours is already too long for fans to go without knowing a score, avoiding Twitter, internet etc so if games were delayed until the following day that's an even longer time to have to avoid social media and internet for. i don't see the fans being happy until the games are live again imho

Reply #334257 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

As much as i hate the delayed games id much rather them at least be on the same night as the live game, its hard enough not seein a score with only a 3hr delay let alone a full day.

Also atleast Fri & Sat nights more people are inclined to stay up a lil bit later i would think to watch the delay even if it is only the diehards. Obviously the Sunday night game is a lil but of a strech.

The perfect time (except if they were live) would be at 930 id say then atleast the game is over before midnight. Im a night owl so i dont mind em being late but 1030 til 1230-1am stops your avg person even bothering tryin to watch. One HD is killin their own product an will complain about low viewer ratings at the end of the season, then prob try an scrap their coverage.

If they are paying for the camera's/crew/commentators why burn ya own production it makes no sense to me but hey im a lowly basketball fan, thanks One HD

Reply #334258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Email Larry Sengstock and tell him your concerns about delayed telecasts: [email protected]

Reply #334265 | Report this post

Davoids  
Years ago

Done

Reply #334266 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why waste his time? Of course the league want to be live on TV, but their only choice was one live game on Sunday versus three delayed games. They took the better of two pretty average options.

Reply #334269 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

there should be a 'replay' the next day ha!

i've watched all games on tv so far including going to a game live! how's my support! i wish they have more respect for the league

bet you they ain't gonna talk about ratings this year!

Reply #334275 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

I don't do 9am.

Reply #334277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just record the games on a PVR and watch them whenever you like, it's not that hard.

Reply #334280 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

If your up at 9am, and your not working and think 10:30pm is to late..Your to old to have a vote in this matter since your future support of the league is quickly decaying as you are....

Reply #334294 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Oh on a serious note the NBL needs to make the competition exciting enough for it to justify live TV games..the fact that ONE HD think the crap they run during half the game times is more popular than the NBL shows that the games not exciting enough to none nbl fans.
Ofcourse Advertising would actually help this, has anyone seen any adverts about the season this year???..I didnt even remember the game was last sat night until my mate rang to say he was picking me up!

Reply #334295 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

just throwing it out there, but maybe the NBL should take a page from netballs book and perhaps pay channel 10 to play some live games to start with, then promote the game enough that channel ten will need to pay to renew the contract in the future?? feel free to criticise as id like to know why this isnt feasible, but otherwise could this be a potential avenue?

Reply #334296 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Watched Tigers v Kings and Sixers v Wildcats but the Sunday 10:30pm was to tough to squeeze in or record and watch during the week.

It's not like the league get a say on times shown and it's not like they have other options.

Would a serious investment/partnership (scrapping FTA) in online streaming be more advantageous or only also appeal to the die hards?

Reply #334311 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

id love that DJ but think your assumption is right that it would most likely suit the die hard fans and would struggle to attract new crowds. id like to see both options to be honest. for example any games not covered by ten should be allowed to be streamed. or stream all if possible.

Reply #334325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the NBL are getting 600k per year as per rumoured contract conditions, the NBL might be better off trying this:

NBL agrees on a three year deal to downgrade to say, 500k per year, redirects $150k or so into Fox Sports. Ten lose exclusive rights (doubt they care for them anyway), Fox Sports gets coverage cheaper, can lure subscribers.

Channel Ten Live game on Sunday, (replay finals)
Fox Sports Thurs (via Sky)/Fri/Sat Live coverage (live Finals)

NBL still gets 4 games live a week per year, they downgrade from 600k to 350k, but we get live FTA coverage as well.

Reply #334329 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Ten might be open to some games going to Fox considering their board now consists of Murdoch and Packer.

Reply #334346 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

^ Not true. Packer resigned over 6 months ago after neutering One HD.

Reply #334368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure Packer is still a part-owner of Ten just no longer on the board.

Reply #334402 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

and fox sports used to have the rights, but did a shit job of it, not to mention less people are getting foxtel these days because its expensive and a waste of money by the time you pay for the sports channels. generally its only die hard fans. id rather them go after 7 or 9 if one doesnt want to commit.

Reply #334441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Foxtel are growing pretty fast, not to mention the influx that will occur from the new AFL channel.

Reply #334451 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Would day games be a better way to bring new fans to the sport? The NBL could pick up some AFL fans who have nothing to watch on a Saturday / Sunday arvo anymore.

I remember Bogut tweeting something about moving weekend games to a 5.30 start effectivley ruling out OneHD's 3 hour delay clause. Is this possible?

Reply #334600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ ah juniors play their basketball on saturdays and rep players have their sundays taken up. so their parents are also taken out of the picture if they do that.

Reply #334611 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754