Isaac
Years ago

Patty Mills named Round 1 POTW

Had 28 points at home against the Kings.

Runners-up were Redhage (26 in a road win), Jackson (19.5/6.5/4/3stls across two road wins) and Wilkinson (18.5/6 across two road wins).

Other Player of the Week contenders for Round One included Thomas Abercrombie (New Zealand), Julian Khazzouh (Sydney), Larry Davidson (Wollongong), Ayinde Ubaka (Melbourne), Chris Warren (Adelaide), Mark Worthington (Gold Coast), Daniel Johnson (Adelaide), Cameron Tragardh (Melbourne), Kevin Lisch (Perth), Jesse Wagstaff (Perth), Elvin Mims (Townsville), Jamar Wilson (Cairns), Dusty Rychart (Cairns) and Rhys Martin (Wollongong).

Topic #26553 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good decision. Mills was the reason why Melbourne won that game with him scoring heaps of clutch 3 pointers. Ubaka was good as well but Mills was the leader.

Reply #334397 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Jackson for me.

Reply #334398 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Mills is the right call, didnt really love his shoot shoot shoot style of game for 3 and a half quarters of boring/lost Tigers bball, BUT made them when it counted and they came in a bunch... Jackson IF the Tigers had still lost for me.

Reply #334404 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

yeah im not sure how Mills shootin 8/18 fgs with 1 assist an 3 t/o's beats Cedric Jackon or Khazzouh

Reply #334405 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Definitely has nothing to do with shot percentage then?

Reply #334408 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wouldn't be surprised if Mills wins this award a lot this year, providing the lockout goes ahead.

The NBL, would love for marketing purposes, to advertise something along the lines of "NBA player receives NBL player of week award"

Reply #334409 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I guess 4th Qs only count!?!?!
He had a terrible game until he hit some 3s in the 4th Q, same with Ubaka.

Reply #334410 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson had a very good opening week and is I think unlucky not to get rewarded for it

Reply #334411 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the NBL sells themselves short by taking the approach they do by giving the impression the big names recruits win these awards easily.

Certainly Mills was right up there this week with Jackson and Lisch (I would have prob gone Jackson), but I remember Hodge's first week back a few years ago he had some decent numbers but shot terribly, turned it over a lot and his team went 0-2 from memory, yet he got POTW because it would generate headlines.

Of course, the award is only given out to give basketball writers an excuse for a few more inches in the paper! So if Mills has one quarter good enough to get close then the NBL will take the headlines!

Reply #334412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills got schooled by Aaron Bruce until Bruce hit foul trouble. Absolute joke of an award and Mills defintley does not deserve it.

Reply #334414 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

He came up big when required to win. It isn't called "player with the best stat line this week" award". H did score 28 points and shot 60% from the 3pt line though...

Reply #334415 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, it's a tough one because Bruce was controlling the match-up but Mills got the win when it mattered. I think he scored 15 points in the last 11 minutes or something like that.

Reply #334420 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

If he came up big when the Tigers needed a boost, surely you need to consider how poorly he played in allowing the Tigers to be down by 12.

The NBL looked at the box scores, saw who top scored, and awarded it from that....again.

Reply #334425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills came through in the clutch when needed, just like Nowitzki does again and again, and for his game winning efforts, he thoroughly deserves the award. Not based on stats, clearly.

Reply #334428 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Situation, if only they based it just on scoring output. Obviously star power plays a big role for them, getting press, etc.

Reply #334429 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Jackson didn't win I assume because he wasn't great on the first game.
Wilkinson wasn't great in the second.
Redhage scored big, but most of that was with the game all over.
Lisch set up the win and was very impressive.
Mills in the end probably won the game for his team. This was after he did his best to lose it for them for 3 quarters, but he was the difference in the end.
Could make a strong case for quite a few players.

Reply #334433 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Interesting call - but given Mills is the marquee name, he gets the award. He was right in contention though...

Reply #334442 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Did Mills win Melbourne the game or did Moose completely blow it for Sydney?

Reply #334444 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Jackson was still solid in game 1, 11 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists and a steal in a road win and then backed up 2 nights later in one of the toughest gyms to win in on the road with 28 at 73%, 6 rebounds, 3 assists and 6 steals.
Mills shoots at 44% for 28 in 1 game, 1 assist and 1 steal and he's POTW WTF!
Next week they should give it to a Centre who can't rebound.

Reply #334454 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

'Next week they should give it to a Centre who can't rebound.'

Awesome Ben Allen a lock for POTW this week. lol

Reply #334461 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Kr: hifive

Reply #334463 | Report this post

snake5  
Years ago

That's a joke.

An award for Marketing Tool of the Week.....that would be a fair call.

Reply #334468 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Snake5: That's a joke.

An award for Marketing Tool of the Week.....that would be a fair call.

well said.

Reply #334469 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Agreed with the above two comments.

Think Mills got the award for league Marketability more than for his performance.

Frankly Ayinde Ukaba was just as responsible for the Tigers winning in the end as Mills was.

Personally I prefer Jackson's line; Steals were impressive.

Reply #334476 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

My vote goes to Hinder.

Because Ben Allen is making Russell Hinder's decaying corpse look like Hakeem Olajuwon in his prime...

Player of the week for sure.

Reply #334478 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

^ lmfao

Reply #334482 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

It cant all be about clutch performance in the 4th quarter since Cedric Jackson had
13pts / 4 rbs / 1 ast in the 4th alone

Reply #334504 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I was loving Cedric's strips at the top of the key, looks to have very quick hands.

Reply #334506 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Samantha Richards had 19,6,4 for POTW in WNBL
Runners up - Suzy Batkovic 29,15,4 and
Cayla Francis 16,14,3.

Reply #334511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One was DMac like Mystro

Reply #334515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moose should get Patty's award

Reply #334523 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Unfortunately they were against a team without a quality PG, don't think he'll have that sort of luck against teams like Perth but would be stoked if he could

Reply #334552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What hogwash, mark Worthington had 28 points and a good game, but plays for the blaze, so no glory for him or the team, due to there loss

Reply #334557 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Worthington had a great game but like you said he lost at home. Jackson won twice on the road in 1 round with solid numbers.

Reply #334559 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:55 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754