Dru Joyce XVII
Years ago

SA Basketballer in the German Bundesliga

Apparantly Isaiah Omomogho (sp??) suited up, got a run and scored with the Artland Dragons BBL team.

He was matched up Dru Joyce, Lebron James' best mate from High School, and whose Dad coached Lebron throughout his High School/AAU years.

http://www.youtube.com/user/doddoball#p/a/u/0/KNNpQLIUZ-k

Topic #26564 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

jordan centenara also there

Reply #334568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt is also over in the BBL.

I think thier is a large number of Aussie born players currently in the UK playing ball

Reply #334570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BBL = German Pro League (many, many steps up from British Basketball League!)

Reply #334572 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The German Bundesliga would be a more descriptive name to call it.

Reply #334574 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Updated the tile to reflect the German Bundesliga to avoid any further confusion.

Reply #334577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how come he can get a game over there but not a look in over here at the 36ers

oh yeah thats right he didnt play at sturt

Reply #334583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with his attitude who would want him, perhaps he had to go to germany to be somewhere people didn't know of his petulant little spats.

Reply #334584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Carlin, Spear, Elliot, Prest, Hooley (at least) all at College, that is a big chunk of SA talent missing. Speaks volumes for the development on offer in SA.

Reply #334595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think ur being sarcastic but u shot urself in the foot! I think the talent development on offer is why these kids are going os. They are going to major college programs we they have fulltime staff at their disposal to develop them, facilities, accomodation, food, stipend not to mention free education. The fact that so many kids are getting these opportunities speaks volumes for the development they've had.

Reply #334627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who wants him? The Artland Dragons do. They are one of the best run clubs in Germany. Kids grow up and that is something people in SA Basketball forget. From all accounts the coaching staff from the Artland Dragons, the coaching staff the U19 team and his U19 team mates are thrilled at how Isaiah (and Jordan) have handled themselve in Quakenbrueck.

Reply #334629 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

Lets not forget Australia's Best basketballer to date had an 'attitude problem' as a youngster. Junior coaches should not coach for wins all of the time, but look at kids who will be long term basketball players and DEVELOP. An attitude problem CAN at times mean the kid cares about the game he plays.....

Reply #334646 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Reply to #334584 - Jealousy is a curse

Reply #334660 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Opportunities overseas, partic USA, are invaluable - builds character in all parts of life....Opportunities here are so limited!!

Reply #334680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think in our football mad country we sometimes forget basketball is a global game. It always makes me smile when kids say there is more money in football. You've obviously never been overseas!!!

Reply #334705 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

^ Wholly agree to a degree

Reply #334711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think too many people are critical of basketball in SA. There are word class player coming out of this big country town. There needs to be a plan for kids that are out of U18 and "SASI". At the moment this is where Adelaide Basketball is failing. The CABL is not a prestige/professional league so the kids have no perspective. They train only twice a week for a short time, when they should be training 5 to 7 times a week like players in Europe. The opportunities for a good SA kid in Europe are there. Daniel Cioffi played in front of 13000 people last year in the German 2. League. Isaiah is playing for a team that has a 4 Million Euro Player Budget.

Reply #334733 | Report this post

Nolan Harcourt  
Years ago

Whether SA offers decent development opportunities or not, playing overseas early in a career is a great thing. It doesn't have to be forever. Is no different to any job....go overseas and get it out of the system, meet some new people, learn some new things, then come home.

Reply #334736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon realisstically Adelaide has 1million people. Our next major city melbourne is 900 Kms away. Germany has 81 Million people in 1/20th of the size of the whole of australia. More people, bigger crowds, more business sponsorship etcetc.

Reply #334771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree and we should be proud when SA Kids get a gig overseas. The SASI Team will be guest of the Artland Dragons at the end of November. It can only help basketball when SA Kids learn that pathways exist outside of Australia.

Reply #334778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree and we should be proud when SA Kids get a gig overseas. The SASI Team will be guest of the Artland Dragons at the end of November. It can only help basketball when SA Kids learn that pathways exist outside of Australia.

Reply #334779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the opportunity presented itself to me when I was a junior.. I would have taken it no questions! (not being good enough put aside for arguments sake)

AS anyone that has left Australia for ANY amount of time would tell you... Adelaide of all places... NEVER changes! Esp in basketball.. I left for 2.5years and came back to the same names in abl... albeit a few more juniors came through but the same clubs are still in the top 5 and the same 'old' players kick around just getting it done like the high level A grade state league comp the CABL is..
The boys in Germany and the college players are doing the right thing.. even if they get their degrees and then never play again... its still far better than hanging around in adelaide to try and 'make it' as a 36er...!!

An amazing experience for them and I hope they soak it up and kick some serious ass and have an amazing experience, and learn a lot, (as i agree with some pervious posts regarding some attitude checks that are holding some youth back from getting more respect for their games).

I look forward to some of them coming back, Adelaide screwing them over and then them playing against the 36ers and kicking their butt. hopefully teaching them a lesson they still haven't learnt.

Reply #335007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think a Victorian by the name of Lee Jeka currently plays in Germany as well.

He was MVP of the Div 2 last season and was a gun junior! He just signed a new 2 or 3 year deal that would put to shame the money most AFL footballers receive.

Reply #335021 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:04 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754