Dam I am Good
Years ago

Clark at the helm ?

Ok so here's the thing. I am a massive Clark fan but seriously what the hell. I am sorry but having no Ballinger is no EXCUSE. Yeah he adds experience, offence & D but this is what happened when Maher would get injured, we struggled to win games, its happening all over again but with Ballinger this time.
We cant keep relying on 1 player, its a team game.

Last question, how long do you think Clark will stay at the helm if it continues this way ??????

Topic #26594 | Report this topic

Main Man Marty  
Years ago

Get a life - losing at the gong - campbell 500th - come on seriously were we going to win ?
always a tough gig at the gong-
Plenty of up side.
group is coming along nicely - enough to be very optimistic about rather than pesimistic.

Need couple home wins and away we go - believe.
Clarke has an "E"-

Reply #334949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Main man marty, you are dellusional my friend. How is a 33point loss and a fizzle after competing for 3quarters coming along nicely?

I dont see him coching out the year, which will sadly be because the 6ers will find ways to lose winnable games all year long. Ofcourse it doesnt help that Marty Clarke is about as likeable as a hangover. Human nature, whether it should be a factor or not. People usually found a Smyth interesting and engaging, which, along with the titles, had him stay in favour longer than he perhaps shouldve been.

Reply #334961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Find a coach that has coached men before and has some NBL championship experience. SIck of hearing about this 3yr plan, clearly just to get himself 3 years in the job before he gets the chop. Don't make us wait that long

Reply #334974 | Report this post

Shakatak  
Years ago

I can't see Marty being sacked this year. He deserves to see the year out, and SOS can't afford to sack him and pay for another coach aswell. The main fault I see with his teams is rebounding, his teams are poor rebounders and when they do rebound well it is generally from the smaller plAyers who should be leading the break not initiating it. Rebounding is a desire / effort part of the game, that begs the question, does Marty motivate his players? And do they want it bad enough? Hopefully we see improvement over the seaso . Go 6ers!

Reply #334976 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Its time to see what Goorjian is up to.

Reply #334980 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Its not the losses, its how the 36ers are losing.

Problems from last season are rearing their ugly head:

-Bizarre subs and not allowing players to get into any rythym
-Fading late in the game--Usually 3rd or 4th quarter

Those issues are all directly related to how the coach operates.

Main Man Marty, naturally you would say a loss was realistic given the Gong were at home etc, and I would be happy to admit that IF the Coach had done his job.

But when a coach is making terrible decisions (regarding Subs), no loss is acceptable.

You stated: "come on seriously were we going to win ?"

My answer to that is: Yes, if the Coach administered his subbing correctly.
You seem to think its ok for teams to have this mentally such as 'Oh its ok, we where expected to lose that one anyway'.

I don't think that is the correct mentality at all. If the game is there to be won, and it isn't, then someone has to point the finger.

Reply #334984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CAmpbell nails four triples in the last in his 500th, tough to overcome.

Reply #334986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its funny how every player that has left marty clarkes coaching system
Bruce, Hill, Dowdell and Holmes from last season are considerably better players for their teams now than what they showed last season!!

coincidence??

Reply #334991 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Look marty is clearly a good teacher of the game and he has proven that with his contributions to the AIS programme. But he is yet to show that he is a good in game coach, and being the NBL you would want your head coach to be an in game coach rather then a teacher. Marty would be a perfect assistant for the young guys in training, but maybe we should look at throwing in a new head coach who is a proven game winner. Goorjian?

Reply #334993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys dont like playing for Clarke, its a general convo within NBL circles. Im not going to sit here and say exactly who, but generally guys are weary of his robot style. He is a great teacher, but eye of the tiger go getter type coach he has already proven not to be. Hope the 36ers organization rectify the faults, and yeah apart of that, for me as a fan, is seeing Clarke out sooner than later.

Reply #334998 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Hill goes to Cairns and is aggressive offensively and goes after rebounds, Holmes goes to Townsville and has an offensive game to compliment his defense.
Adelaide has a team capable of winning games but not a coach capable of not making it look like swimming against the tide.

Reply #335002 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

i think u will see that both Hill and Holmes were exactly the same players in Adelaide...it will only be their shooting % that will be different..

I'm not sticking up for Marty here either, as I am not qoo% sold on his unusual subs and even court time either, but the reasons that those 2 players are better players out of the system on 2 rounds I am not buying..

Reply #335005 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

@anon so thats why we were able to recruit Weigh then.

The players that say that stuff are the same ones who would have wanted to play for Phil because they knew it was a complete bludge to train for him. Players that want to get better want to play for Marty. Ask Crosswell why he came here.

Hill and Holmes have had many other coaches pre Marty who have found the same issues.

Just because a guy has one good game doesn't mean that is how his season will be.

Hill needed to get out of Adelaide so that he could grow, that would be the case if Phil Jackson was the coach too.

Reply #335008 | Report this post

main man marty  
Years ago

i am not saying he is not without fault or that team always expecting to win - but losing to the gong in a milestone game was odds on surely - maybe could rotate team better agree with that point - but there is enough good stuff evolving not to be blind sided by an odd lost

Reply #335011 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

IMO (and I have previously stated this on earlier posts on the subject), Marty does not appear to relate to coaching adults (much the same as Mike Dunlap). When he was at the AIS he was in a teaching role and in a league (SEABL) where it did not really matter if the team won or lost, because the AIS is all about developing players. Therefore does Marty really have a winning attitude which then equates to a winning game plan? Apparently not. If previous comments are true with regards to "adult" players not wanting to play under Marty then the theory that he is more interested in development rather than winning is valid. 36ers fans have been suffering for several seasons, and rightly or wrongly, the players recruited for this season appeared to give hope to those fans. Unfortunately it appears that the coach does not appear to be on the same page. SOS purchased the franchise because they wanted to see the 36ers back on top, maybe they now need to make a tough decision to ensure that their vision becomes reality.

Reply #335017 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Yes, i'm all for winning but geez guys it is only the 2nd game. We only just got our 2nd import into the line up after he had one maybe two training sessions. It looks as though he had a decent game as well but like most imports struggled with umpires calls, which will take time to adjust. When you then also lose your second choice big not long after it's not going to help going down the stretch.
I'm actually liking the side he's put together this year, the 2 imports look solid, especially Warren. We have some good shooters out there this season, a solid veteran in Crosswell to back up the PG spot and some decent bigs. I think if we can get Weigh firing we will go ok. The rebounding should pick up with Ballinger and Simpson in the group.
I think the two biggest concerns are we still struggle defensively, especially from beyond the arc, we just don't close out hard enough and with solid bigs now this definitely shouldn't happen. We also don't seem to recognise when someone catches fire and that's been pretty evident the first 2 games with Redhage and Campbell killing us from outside and watching the Perth game we just didn't find him or try to stop him.
I think offensively we still tend to stand too much and not move off the ball. The ball stays in hands out the top of the key for way too long, get some structured plays and the ball moving.
If things haven't changed by round 8 then call for his head. We have 3 home games in round 6-8 against Sydney, Melbourne and Gold Coast all winnable games. Unfortunately we might only win one game over the next 3 but if we are 4-4 after 8 we still have a chance.

Reply #335026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is a current Boomers assistant alongside a championship winning coach in Lemanis. Surely there is some upside.

Reply #335029 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Get rid of him, these guys arent being paid to play 20minutes a game, they are paid to play out the full 40 minutes and WIN.
Why Daly, Warwhoeverheis were even on the court I cannot understand. I dont care about their development in tight games..They should ONLY see court time when the rest of the team has clearly won the game.

This rotation looks like its designed to please all the players parents who get to see their little boy run around on the court against the big guys who can actually play. If we want a primary school coach who does this I can suggest a few. Until then play your winning f%^King team!

Reply #335054 | Report this post

Wow  
Years ago

Skud, just cos you can't understand it, doesn't make it wrong. Daly came on early when Warren picked up 2 quick fouls. He was our backup point guard cos Crosswell is injured. Warbout probably came on for one possession at the end of the 3rd to prevent someone from picking up a cheap foul at the end of a quarter. Maybe someone was injured. I don't know, I wasn't at the game and neither were you. Thanks for your thoughful insight though!

Reply #335058 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

You have a 19 year old having a breakout game who shot 7/9, splashing threes dunking and rebounding and absolutely carving up the opposition and you only play him bloody 20 minutes, please, please can someone explain why!!!!!!! And don't use defense for an excuse, it was Herbert who let Campell make 4 threes in the last and win the game for the Hawks!

Reply #335062 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Imagine how much flack Brett Maher would have coped for his D if this forum existed in the early 00's

People you need to relax a little. Some of the comments on here are obsurd and uninformed.

Reply #335064 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well , we were curious to know how his starting lineup for the first game compared to centrbets first to score options , so , we asked him , but he thought we were asking about the season.
Clarke ; " I'm not worried about who starts but who finishes. " I confess I don't know what that means.
" I look like varying the starting lineup , depending on who we're playing. Ballinger of course and Herbert is a definate starter. "
Weigh is a good signing , Creek and Johnson should be better this season. Simpson looks a little rusty and should get better. Ballinger's jumper looks good and most were going in at the scrimmages , so I'd have played Ballinger rather than Yonna Warhow and
seems Halliwell injured his back, played 8mins , with Simpson and Johnson fouling out.

Reply #335074 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Good point MuzzBuzz. That was a time when Maher had lost a step and would get caught by opposition guards. However, the other guards for the 36ers through the mid noughties were also caught out consistently by opposition guards. The Kings teams of the period regularly dined out on 36ers guards. I even saw Paul Henare carve our guards up with Rick Melzer, in Adelaide. Man, that was embarrassing.

That said, Maher more than made up for having lost his quickness with his experienced brain, his reading of the play, his decision making (always immaculate), his leadership and the other areas of his game.

Back on topic, I tend to agree with your point about over reaction. I don't see the 36ers as the same team as last year but am not convinced they won't return to being that team. I thought they should have won in Wollongong and am concerned that they gave up 97 points to a team that seems likely to finish between 5th and 7th.

Ballinger coming back in will increase our offensive firepower but I'm not convinced it will improve our defence a lot. From the stats, offensive firepower was not a big problem - we got enough points but let them get more. Both teams shot similar percentages (both above 50% too).

So I'm looking for our defence to improve. Clarke has to get the team delivering defensively and quickly. Otherwise, the morale of this team will deflate like a balloon and we will end up with a team that will have lost its self belief, just like last year's team, by mid season.

Reply #335076 | Report this post

peter  
Years ago

There was an article in the paper on the weekend about the fitness guy at the 36ers.
He is also the fitness guy for the Eagles in the SANFL & was suggesting spreading the minutes will be the way of the future in Basketball (similar to high number of rotations used in AFL).

This may be part of the reason for Marty's fascination with evening out minutes.

I wonder if they realise it is a completely different type of sport & has different aerobic demands on the players. Taking someone off when they are on fire to give them a rest (that they probably dont want anyway), is counterproductive.

In AFL, most players being rotated are similar in standard, there are more players on the field (therefore less reliance on individual players), so resting one of your gun midfielders in AFL has less impact than in Basketball.

I assume Marty is banking on this being a masterstroke if our players are fresher than other teams at the end of the year, which I doubt will be the case. More likely our players will be less game fit for 4 quarters.

Reply #335081 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yuk , that's my pet hate , taking the AFLer off when he kicks a goal.
( and , of course , 36ers pre-planned subs mean those playing well are coming off.)

Reply #335082 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

fresher legs dont help in not in finals

Reply #335091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty's habit of evening minutes has come from the AIS, it should've been expected when he was hired.

Reply #335098 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I agree - Clark needs an E.

Reply #335158 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I can understand these rotations in the first leg of a road trip but otherwise it's not relevant to this sport in this country. They play 1 40 min game a week & i wouldn't hesitate playing stars or anyone that's 'hot' 35 mins a game. The NBA is different as there's 85 games a year. The AFL is so much more physically demanding. If that's Clarkes motivation for his rotations then i think it's gonna be a long year in 'title town'!!

Reply #335163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give Clarke what previous 36ers coaches get with new teams.. 4-6 weeks to gel!

Reply #335170 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

LOL Loco!

I tend to agree with what Peter said above about not needing to rotate players in basketball the way the AFL does.

Didn't see the game, but just wondering though, if some of the rotations in the 4th were caused by Diamon and DJ fouling out?

Reply #335173 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:49 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754