seb tape
Years ago

Could Mitch Creek get drafted to AFL?

Obviously he's committed to bball but with his athleticsm/background in footy could he make it? Id say he would be an automatic rookie/late draftee and debut within 2 years.

Agree?

Topic #26628 | Report this topic

BJF  
Years ago

Mitch has already turned down offers from the AFL

Reply #335447 | Report this post

WeDaBestMaan  
Years ago

Yes he could get drafted but i'm not sure whether he could 'make' it in AFL

Reply #335457 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

He could. However Im not sure he would be too keen being on the AFL rookie list wage of around $20k.

He could be earning $100 in a few years in basketball

Reply #335465 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

$100!
Wow, I think thats too much :P

Reply #335466 | Report this post

Ain't no G  
Years ago

Saville was getting 200k at his peak

Reply #335469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dud - The minimum rookie wage for the AFL is $50,000. He would only be on about 50k at the sixers at the moment, so if he wanted to make money he could move to the AFL and earn the same amount without playing a game (You get additional money if you play a game)... and if he was on the senior list he could earn 4 - 15 times that.

Average wage in AFL = $250,000

Average wage in NBL = $100,000 (If the team uses its full salary cap)

Reply #335470 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Last year , Clarke ; " Mitch Creek didn't wanna go to college. If i didn't sign him , he would've been lost to the AFL . "

Reply #335472 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Yes Rookie wage is $50K

Rookie listed is $20k

A big difference in what they actually are. A rookie is on the team list, while a rookie listed player is not in the 40 (they only get upgraded through injury/retirements).

Reply #335476 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Just FYI, rookie list wage for this last season was $35,400. And that number should go up a fair bit with the new CBA.

Reply #335479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about Mitch creek is allowed to play his aggressive style of game instead of sitting on the bench!

Reply #335480 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Apologies - rookie list was $35k

1rd rd pick $59k (plus match payments)
2nd rd pick $55k (pmp)
3rd rd pick $50k (pmp)

It is expected to go up to 50k for rookie listed players next season. In saying that some teams might shorten their rookie lists possibly.

It was about $20 for rookie listed players last time I check which was about 5 years ago.

Reply #335481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not sure where you're getting your 20k figure from dud. Rookie list is going up this year to 48k.

But I think Mitch Creek would be given a rookie contract immediately considering his athletic ability. Don't think anyone can truly judge whether he would make it into the league or not though.

Reply #335484 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

What would the best NBL player be earning these days?

Reply #335487 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Lets be honest, AFL is a massive dead end. once your in it thats it. yay you get to aim to win a premiership and then it repeats again next season, and the season after. you cant play abroad, you cant play for a world cup/championship.

i dont mind footy but its to be a bit of the same after a while.

Reply #335495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mitch creek could easily, easily become an elite afl player!
possibly a scott p (collingwood) level player hes that atheltic & a year or two training he would be a star, no doubt!

Reply #335497 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Not sure about being a star. It takes years of practice to make AFL. Mitch Creek has not even got a reliable jumpshot yet in his choosen sport

Reply #335498 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Agree with dud. Creek has none of the attributes that make Pendles a star. Not saying he couldn't become a good player but it's far from automatic considering 195 is probably too short to be a pure ruckman despite his hops.

Reply #335500 | Report this post

rog  
Years ago

mystro I think top NBL players would get about $180 - $200k. Thats reserved for the imports more often than not.

To be so confident that creek could be a superstar in the AFL is absurd. He'd get drafted cos he's an athlete .. beyond that who knows. He spent every day basketball training at the AIS and came out of it without a jumpshot .. so WHO KNOWS!

Reply #335501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he played, you would think he would play that medium sized forward/midfielder?

Someone along the lines of Jarrod Waite, Mitch Clarke and possibly even Andrew Embley (if he had the tank).

Given 2 seasons of specific AFL training could see him play league footy, he obviously has that explosive pace and athletic ability.

Reply #335511 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

rog, I think youd be surprised what a lot of imports get. In a lot of leagues around the world the imports arent the highest paid. Supply and demand, lots of good Americans and only so many import spots.

Making the AFL is relatively easier than the NBL, every week there are almost 400 players getting a game. In the NBL there are only roughly 60-65 Aussies getting on the court. When you consider the similarity in particiaption rates and that only about 10 top players arent in the NBL it is a much more elite competition talent-wise.

Reply #335513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro I know of an Aussie that signed a 3 yr deal for $540K....

Reply #335542 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Loughton?

Reply #335554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho was $500K for three years or something like that.

Reply #335559 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

We lost a few basketballers to College this year......AFL should keep an eye on them!!!

Reply #335570 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

I personally think Mitch will stay with Basketball as he's still young and developing, and he has a plethora of options when it comes to playing overseas...remember he's not even 20 yet and his game is only gonna get better...if he develops his game well enough we'll be lucky to even keep him here in the NBL

Reply #335674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek was offered a rookie contract by 3 Melbourne based AFL clubs as a 17 year old after playing just half a season of football. I think that in itself says that AFL clubs believe the kid could be a star - and I agree.

197cm, 98kg, enormous leap, fantastic co-ordination, massive aerobic capacity and a mature head on his shoulders, what more could you ask for in a future CHF?

In saying this, the amount of interest in Creek's future plans from basketball clubs abroad would suggest the kid will be off and venturing the world in the not too distant future making a lot more money than the NBL could ever offer.

And for all the haters - remember the kid is only 19, he works hard at his game and when he hits his prime at 26 - 28, the world is his oyster!

Reply #351061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know what I would do, go play footy....bball pays stuff all compared!
But Creek is wayyyyy to soft. aggresive style of game LOL
he would get tackled once and have a cry.

Creek will b a great young player that will fall thru the waiste line....just watch, hes a tin-man

Reply #363094 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No way he would play footy, the money is miniscule compared to global sports, plus he said he enjoys basketball a lot more. That's win-win.

Reply #363096 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754