phil
Years ago

More NBA game cancellations to come

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/10/20/labor-breakoff.ap/index.html#

Looks like more games to be cancelled with no resolution in sight. I'm starting to think that no season is the most possible outcome. Either way I'm over the NBA.

Topic #26640 | Report this topic

Juror 12  
Years ago

Can someone please explain to me why the owners are happy to be locked out. I know many teams are losing money but wouldn't they be losing a lot more without ticket revenue and lost TV rights etc?? I know they want a better deal and lower salaries but surely they would have to be suffering form lost income as much as the players are?

Reply #335655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

because they dont have to pay salaries

Reply #335657 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

When it looked like Bogut was going to be playing in the NBL I was happy for the lockout to go on for as long as it took, but now I'm keen for it to end. As nice as it is having Patty playing NBL I think I'd prefer the NBA to resume.

Reply #335659 | Report this post

shin_splints  
Years ago

And the owners are still receiving payments from the TV networks.

Reply #335662 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

For most owners their nba team is just a hobbie
As long as the lockout isnt costing them money they will hold out longer than the players I think. Yeah they might be losing revenue but not actually losing money.

Reply #335671 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Fisher is trying to save face a bit with the public perception in that article. I think the players need to realise its tough economic times especially in the US and this is now affecting the locals. Why not agree to 50/50 deal and put a 2 year renegotiation clause so if financil times improve then negotiate higher.

Reply #335675 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I'm over it aswell. I was amped for the season initially; a great Dallas team out to defend their title and a whole bunch of teams with younger players ready to challenge for the top playoff spots. I even upgraded my internet package in preparation for getting League Pass.

But now, even if they play a 70 or 50 game season, I couldn't really care to be honest.

Reply #335678 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

even if the owners are losing money i think they are willing to lose say $10 million this year to allow them to make $100 million in the next 10-20 years....short term pain for long term gain!!!

note: figures just plucked out of nowhere to make the point

Reply #335681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree with billo, was happy for the lockout to go a bit longer, but after seeing what horrible coverage we will have for the rest of the nbl season, i would give my left arm for the nba back. cant take much more of no nba and nbl that is so bad and inconvenient compared to last season, its equivalent to having nothing as nbl isnt getting watched either

Reply #335725 | Report this post

Maxx  
Years ago

Money is money, but losing a year of your short'ies career could be detrimental. How long does players like Kobe and Duncan have left at their top level..

The worst thing for your body when things are slowing down is a break (personal experience)..

Reply #335791 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Like I've said in the past.. Bring on the college season! Hopefully with the lockout it will mean more tv coverage. Greed has ruined the nba.

Reply #335816 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:48 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754