sunnycoast
Years ago

Sixers vs Sydney

Listening to ABC online love hearing mahers commentary what are adelaide doing?

Topic #26643 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

can a fellow hoopster explain to me what the hell is going on at the arena??

Reply #335711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have no idea, but I do have 2 season tickets in a very good spectator area/spot to sell

Reply #335712 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Anon, give me ten dollars and ill take them off your hands.

Reply #335713 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

I'm embarrassing to watch

Reply #335714 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

im glad im in the UK, no one is around to give me shit.

Reply #335715 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Im beginning to wish bogut did suit up for sydney atleast that way we would have an excuse as to why we are playing like crap

Reply #335716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers 11 t/o only 14 shots made.

Game not pretty to watch. However Adelaide getting decent looks but can't find the bottom of the net. So many wide open misses. Lots of ft missed too. Kings by 16 and Kaz with 18.

Again interesting rotations.

Reply #335717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so, I take it that Adelaide are getting the smack smacked out of themselves again by playing like crap, and having no defence as per usual?

Reply #335718 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

has live stats locked up for everyone else too?

Reply #335719 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Yeah, me too SRT070.

Reply #335720 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Guess instead of watching the game tonight, I'm cracking out my Ultimate Jordan box set.

Reply #335721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

livestats def not live! :(

Reply #335722 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Livestats appear to be back now.

Reply #335723 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

They must be wrong though because they say Adelaide is winning the 3rd quarter...

Reply #335724 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Crowd showing their appreciation (or lack thereof)?
Kind of sick of seeing what this great club had become.
Khazzouh was on 6 points and 4 rebounds and our whole team was on 1 rebound and 0 points at one stage. Pretty well sums it up really.

Reply #335726 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

What is happening is we're apparently missing a few shots that would most times stick while Khazzouh and Aaron bruce (something to prove maybe??) are making us pay both on the scoreboard and on the boards.

Reply #335727 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

We might be plus a few points for the third with a minute or so remaining but we can't get key stops and it would be a big margin to work back the way they are playing.

Reply #335728 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

On the plus side, at least we weren't on 21 at half time like Wollongong.
They only had 2 assists for their whole team at 3 quarter time.

Reply #335729 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

After all that, we still didn't win the quarter.

Reply #335730 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Herbert has scored 1 field goal for the entire season.

Reply #335731 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

lol, now a report that the game isn't being televised now.

Must be that bad.

Reply #335732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

will they show another game instead ? if so I'll drive home now and catch it.

Reply #335733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

7 min to go in 4th, down by 25 and people are leaving in droves

Reply #335734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmm --- So are we being out-coached by Moose ? - could we pick him up at the end of the season ?

Reply #335735 | Report this post

Farout  
Years ago

If Marty is still coaching by lunchtime tomorrow I would be surprised.

Just not good enough at the timeout when we are getting flogged out there.

Reply #335736 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

11-0 start to the quarter for the Kings. Nice.

Reply #335737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe they haven't scored halfway through the 4th quarter how embarassing??

Reply #335738 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

WAKE UP, Marty!!

Reply #335739 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

can someone ask marty if this is part of his 3 year plan?

Reply #335741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and Sydney go 18-5 with plenty of time to spare... up 29.

Reply #335742 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

the best thing about this game is that i have 3 players on my dreamteam from sydney

Reply #335743 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why is Creek so inconsistent?

Reply #335744 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Coach has gotta stop playing his 'favourites' and sub with sensibility

Reply #335745 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Seems the LIVE STATS have had a coronary too??

Reply #335746 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

We're getting killed on the boards, points in the paint, fouls, FG% and 2nd chance points. Kinda paints a picture doesn't it.....We're up to 10 team fouls in the last quarter.

This is getting embarrassing. I'm no coach but what the hell is Clarke doing????

Herbert doesn't seem to be ready for the NBL right now, his numbers have been shocking. At least he's only played 15 minutes tonight. Missed outside shots are also killing us I think. 5/26 isn't good and with Khazzouh grabbing every rebound in sight putting up a 3 when you're colder than a freezer is not smart IMO.

Something is fundamentally wrong with the team structure. We've supposedly got a better team than last year yet with the way the team is set up they are going nowhere fast.

Reply #335747 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Might just be me but I'd be playing DJ the minutes he played in the last 3 games last year. He averaged 37 minutes, 23.3 pts and 12 rebounds over those games. So far this year he's only been on court (including tonight) for 25 minutes, 11.6 pts and 6.3 rebounds per game. Either he's injured or Clarke just didn't learn from those games last year that DJ can dominate a game given the opportunity.

Reply #335748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love it when i'm proved right, i said Marty would suck when he was hired as he did nothing at the AIS, and he still has done nothing.

Reply #335749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to the Marty Clarke cut out by the toilet? I didn't get to piss on it before I left.

Reply #335750 | Report this post

And Wollongong lost tonight by 30 , we are in deep kucka

Reply #335753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow i was at the game so disappointing. 1st of all we will never miss all those open shots ever again. In saying that it was against the 2nd worst team in the comp hence so many open shots. 0-3 and properly 0-5 in the next 2 games. Marty Its time to hand the reins over to mitch creek, this is your team you have all the tools to be a star so do what you do. I was focused on him before the game and at half time there is nothing wrong with his shot he's just got to be allowed to use it. Simpson is solid on d and his pick and roll is good but cant shot a free throw to save his life which is a waste of time if he wants to play that type of game. Herbert shot 3 balls that were so short they were nearly air balls.

Reply #335754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They sacked Scott Ninnis for Marty wot a great move

Reply #335755 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Long way back from here with two power clubs on the road next up. Very disappointing that Sydney obviously played with desperation that matched the occasion but Adelaide didnt in front of 5000 of their own fans.

Reply #335756 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

The single most disapoitning blowout ive ever winessed at the Dome. I have seen a few over the last 14 years, hey it happens, but never against a team that bad. Marty Clarke has a list of decent players, but they dont know how to play as a team, and he certainly hasnt found a way to get the best out of them. They have no identity, and its actually very emotionally upsetting for me to watch, as this club has been one of the proudes to support throughout the years, with some real characters to get behind when the chips were down. This is the single lowest point for me as a season ticket holder. Simpson, has no range offensively whatsoever, Ballinger has never truly been the gamebreaker the local media have tried to create out of him, and to make matters worse, not one of those guys has a 'voice;' out there. Clarke plays his guys very robotically.

On that note, im now 100% assured, there are other coaches available that could and would get more out of this unit of players, Marty Clarke can no longer be seen to be the leader to get us off the bottom of the table. First step is to admit you have a problem, and our coaching staff is where it starts for mine.

Hope SOS have the walltes, and the smarts to change things before they lose the fan base, and it will happen, 2012 could be a ghost town at that 'Arena'. Mark my words.

Reply #335757 | Report this post

36ers solja  
Years ago

I will sit thru every game win, lose or draw but I have to ask, "what the hell is going on?"
Never in my life have I seen a team so disorientated, unwilling to rebound or make an attempt without purpose.
The team on facebook notes itself as The Adelaide 36ers- A professional basketball club (I gotta wonder if that still applies).
Next on the list is the best of the worst and really, I can find a winner for this category. Balls got no assistance from anyone, Helliwell is usless unless standing under the ring and while DJ had a night to forget, his 16 points really didnt show for much.
Herbert, second week in a row with lots of fouls?
The question is....? Is this the best team we can come up with? Cos it isnt a worthy team for the noteable slogan- Professional Basketball Club in my mind.
lastly, I think the reffing was well below par but what erks me most, is with 1;15 to go in the third, michael aylen (an experienced ref) calls a foul against us, before wer made the slightest contact. Thats gotta be called MATCH FIXING cos it isnt fair.
Lastly, what I saw tonight is a joke? If the club is trying to make us look stupid, you did a great job.
cant believe I paid $320 for the year to watch this crap. This might be our last season anyhows cos people wont go to watch garbage like that.

Reply #335758 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

What an embarrassing game. I hope Clarke FINALLY takes some responsibility instead of always blaming the team.

I am a fan of DJ but he didn't deserve anymore minutes then he got tonight. He was pathetic blocking out. I would rather he got a defensive foul trying to box out someone rather then getting thrown out of the way and the guy scoring.

Is Stephen Weigh the biggest coaches pet or what? Or was it in his contract that he must play at least 35 minutes EVERY game regardless of how shit he is playing?! Not even Ballinger last season when he was doing great in scoring would get that many minutes. So far with an average of over 35 minutes per game he is getting 10 points at 32%!!!!! How about he actually earn his minutes instead of the coach spoon feeding him! Put Creek on for 35 minutes he is giving you a much better game then that!!!!

When will Clarke grow a brain and actually exploit miss matches. To start the game we had Creek playing Shooting guard with either Cooper or Bruce guarding him. He should post up his small opponent EVERY time and have DJ at the top of the key so Khazzouh is drawn out.

Herbert should be given 5 minutes a game until he actually starts contributing! The only good thing he did all game was foul out. He was too scared to shoot it and when he did it looked so robotical like he just wanted to get rid of the ball and you knew it would miss every time.

I am not much of a fan of Helliwell but he could have actually been of some use out there rather then playing 5 minutes.

Reply #335759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So glad we had district tonight

Reply #335760 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Holden, I enjoyed watching DJ those last three games last season but I recall the team going 1 from 3, and I prefer seeing the team win before seeing a player put up good stats. I know we both appreciate that the problems go deeper than Johnson's stats line.

I'm concerned that these two home games will be the beginning of the end of a once proud club. I think the saying goes "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me". These two losses, on the back of the past two seasons, will test even the commitment of the most faithful of supporters. I fear a terrible backlash is coming in the form of members boycotting the next home game and beyond.

I hope men of honour will fall on their sword before this saddening circumstance tears the spine out of the club.

Reply #335761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats it, your done Clarke! Get lost, no one here has any faith in your abilities, do the right thing and give someone else a chance to turn it around, surely in his contract Adelaide stipulated some sort of positive growth to ensure he up holds his end of the contract!?

Reply #335762 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

If we go down 0-5 (which is likely considering our next 2 are in Perth & Auckland.....) I wonder how long Clarke will last because seriously, the way he is playing the 36ers they are going backwards

Reply #335763 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Totally agree with Kobe24. Unless something positive happens soon, that polace will be like a ghost town.
And King James, don't get me started about Herbert. I have never had any time for the guy as a player, but since he had come back, he is even worse, if that is possible. But our beloved coach still keeps him on.
No doubt in my mind that was the most embarrassing loss on home turf I have witnessed. The Adelaide 36ers in my opinion now in the league, would be best described as net bowlers in cricketing terms.
Not sure how much longer I can be bothered going all the way to the stadium to watch crap.
As for Marty, I think it was all summed up during an interview with the 5AA peanuts earlier this week, when he said that we came up against a full strength Perth side. Sorry? I could have sworn their captain was out and apart from that, they only have 1 import! So stop talking garbage Marty!

Reply #335764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pre season people had them down for a 5/6 team so I 'd say Adelaidians will continue to be taken in by hope rather than cold hard facts. Average coach and average players. The golden era is long past and won't return so get used to inconsistent results where we belt teams who should flog us and lose to rubbish. No use changing the coach unless it's for a world beater and they don' have the cash for that.
These players might step up ten or twenty percent for a driver but when it all pans out they don't have the goods and are Abl bullies and NBL pussies.

Reply #335765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I DOUBLE DARE someone to supportive and look at this with the glasss half full! Its done, we are now paralysed as a basketball club, changes have to be made and immediately. No bickering, just cold hearted decisions to better the 36ers going forward.

Reply #335766 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Regardless of other results for the round Adelaide will be on the bottom of the NBL ladder for the 2nd time in 3 rounds.....

Reply #335767 | Report this post

harry  
Years ago

left with seven mins to go
what did the score end up being?

absolute woeful performance
cant believe we drove 100km round trip AND i changed shift to watch that crap
seriously
no good

Reply #335768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No momentum, no movement. Nobody to take the lead.

It was stangant, lame and they were playing like boys, not like men. Fumble, out rebounded, stolen, making silly turnovers.

Reply #335769 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Aaron Bruce should have gone upto Marty Clark after the game and simply said "Told you my shit games last season were your fault"

Clark you have to go seriously the SOS stand to lose way to many long time supporters over the shit he is giving us. Three games with players not knowing what they are doing, getting into rhythm to be subbed for rookies...This is seriously turning into a massive problem for the club.

Reply #335770 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

it really is time the sixers got some old school boys back to the club who knowm whom tom win and care about the history

Reply #335772 | Report this post

36ers solja  
Years ago

how can anyone be supportive of that Anon?

No one came expecting to lose by that amount, or see such an insipid performance. the bickering continues because it allows people to vent which the club doesnt like.

Come monday though, a few people in my block intend to put forward a rather terse letter. It aint all about Marty or the players.

PS: Where is the free beer 36ers? One game down, 12 to go so please inform us. Would have gone down well being 30 points down late in the last quarter

Reply #335773 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

it really is time the sixers got some old school boys back to the club who knowm whom tom win and care about the history

Reply #335774 | Report this post

Igotmadskills  
Years ago

Fouls forced clarkes hand tonight. I think he did ok considering fouls and injuries. Cross well would have been handy as a wise old head on the court. Everyone seemed off and assuming that's just team chemistry - Clarke can't shoot the.ball for them.

People are frustrated fair enough but look at it. Simpson is clearly not fit yet and has only had a handful of trainings. Ballingers first game back, only been training full on for 1 week looked seriously rusty. Herbert clearly not on song but who can blame him after a knee.

Shooting 33 % is probably the sixes worst ever. So many shots rimmed out and that can only improve.

Refs were terrible something like 16 to 28 fouls.

Ng didn't do anything, helliwel didn't see the courts in the 2nd half - put him on the court and hack kazoo to make him earn it so assuming he was injured.

There is always next week let's hope they shoot the lights out as that's the only chance we got until the boys get fit....

Reply #335775 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

bring back the old school guys who knew how to win

Reply #335776 | Report this post

36ers solja  
Years ago

Skud is damn right about Aaron. I dont think Aaron was given freedom to do much. I can remember when Aaron was at the AIS, he was given lee-way to try things out. Was given opportunities and where did that team finish? top!

Under Clarke, he was given a hard time by all and while Im disappointed he left, he finally has a club to play for that wants him to play the way he wants.

Glad someone stuck up for Bruce, Skud

Reply #335777 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

If a performance like that at HOME happens again Marty has to go,we will go 0-5 and then home game again against KINGS i honestly believe if sixers go 0-6 then SOS group need to rethink the coaching panel.

Reply #335778 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Unless there are miracles against Perth and NZ, this was the must-win, as must-win as you can get at this point in the season. Overseas and didn't get to the game so can only go by the stats, and those don't look good for any 36er.

And that's not a loss, but a pounding at home. Same in Wollongong bizarrely.

Herbert had a strong off-season so his lines have probably been the most disappointing for me - he's not one to shirk tough trainings and a systematic offense either so I don't buy those potential excuses.

Reply #335779 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Bruce just had a lucky game with his shots. He will never again hit 4 from 5 3's! He then thought he was a hero and went back to his hero plays and continued to turn it over which almost got Adelaide back in the game. They can keep him.

36ers solja, My friend who had the promo cards got free beers for them. Perhaps you didn't have the promo cards?

Reply #335780 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

That was one of the worst performances at home I have very seen.

We need to quickly work out our core rotation of 7-8 players and stick with them. Too many rotations IMO and timing of some of these is strange.

The concerning thing IMO is lack of effort rebounding, boxing out, team defence, etc. Sydney had too many easy baskets.

There seem to be too many major problems - does anyone know if there are fractures within the playing / coaching group?

Reply #335781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's Simpson game right there and then he seems Like a nice guy but seriously his scouting reports say it he can't shoot and tonight proved it. Got to the line 6 or so times and on a couple of occasions the ball didn't get above the ring. You can't have a guy whose not big enough to finish of his plays but can't shoot free throws when he goes to the line. Please bring back williamson please. A new coach or New Marty who will let them play. Creek,weigh,Johnson and balls that's a fair 4 players who like to play on instinct rather than robots. Add 1 very gd pg in Warren shooting terrible tonight though and that's a great mix. If allowed Mitch creek could tear the nbl a new 1. Guys like Newley and ingals played on instinct and have a look at how good they are.

Reply #335782 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Kobe summed it up :(

Reply #335783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fuck off kingjames u always been a hater.. Azza killed u.. 36ers are worst team in the league and kingjames has no credibility... Aaron avged 18 at college u loser

Reply #335784 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

^^^ I thought the combination of school holidays being done and it being past 10pm meant all the kids were offline or in bed?

Seriously people - English - c'mon. Give it a serious try.

Reply #335785 | Report this post

NBA agent  
Years ago

Havent seen all the teams yet but what teams are we going to beat this year?

Reply #335786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one seems to realise that Bruce is the least popular player on the Kings roster and the Kings were told not to hire him. Go figure.

Reply #335787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha at above comment ab smoked u fools... 36ers hav the worst team in the nbl...

Reply #335789 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Refs were terrible something like 16 to 28 fouls."

I hope the tape to this game gets evaluated. The umpires completely changed their style in the last 5 mins. All of a sudden the 36er's were allowed to do almost anything but the Kings were being pinged for the softest shit out...basically a complete opposite of the entire game.
I would love to know how many of those 16 foul calls we got were in the last 5 minutes of the game to "Even" the call count a bit.

While Im bitching about the Ref's..They ruin Khazzouh for me. Hes a good quality player who is babysat and allowed to hack hold and chop by the umpires. This causes him to do more of it and it just ruins any enjoyment there is in watching him play. It didnt bother me as much when it was Heal..cause he was just a prick anyway and hating him came easy. Khazzouh I dont want to hate because the Ref's have found another player they wont call shit on.

Loco its friday night..damn parents let the little bastards stay up!

Reply #335790 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Way too many rotations!
Every time we began to to get going the key players are subbed out.

DJ should have played more minutes than anyone else tonight and played longer minutes at each stretch.
Herbert should have played less minutes than he did.
Weigh should have played less minutes than he did.

Start of the third quarter, a minor come back spearheaded by DJ and Ng, Who are the first players subbed out----wait for it----- DJ and Ng!!!!!!

This seems to be Marty's talent to interupt the dynamics just when they are working.

Dj was about the only guy to take the ball hard at khazzouh and earn some respect from him but other players like Weigh, balls, Creek and Simpson should have been taking it at him agressively from the start. He only has five defensive mistakes to make and we let him finish on two!!!
Marty khazzouh will dominate if you dont take him on.
He had you beaten before the game, You wont beat him with team defense, you have to challenge him with individuality, speed, agility and aggression or you will just let him dominate as he did tonight.

A very dissapointing night, just like most of last season.

I still feel that the entire team needs to feel free on court to be more opportunistic and break a play if there is an opportunity to shoot.

Brings up another point, how much time do we spend at training just shooting under pressure.
I think not enough!!

Shooting percentages are dreadful!! Even foul shooting.

What do we need to have a future!!!

Reply #335792 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Agree with you KingJames, while Bruce did hurt the Sixers tonight, he's not the guy I'd want running my team. He was out of control as usual and while he made 4/5 threes, he also shot 2/10 inside the arc and turned it over 5 times! A better team would have punished him for those mistakes, but sadly the Sixers are very far from a good team.

We've got some players with some decent skills this year, but they are not playing as a team. They don't seem able to run plays effectively on offence, there might have been 3 good screens set all night and players constantly are out of position or matched up on the wrong player on D.

I had front row seats for the first time ever tonight and another thing I noticed was the lack of talk on court. It helps so much on defence if you have a vocal guy helping guards send their man towards the help and making sure guys know about it when they miss their assignment.

Reply #335793 | Report this post

themvpiskb24  
Years ago

Somehow, I don't think getting rid of Marty Clarke will solve the problem either. I think management should go as well.

Reply #335794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ, your defence and rebounding is a disgrace. No wonder Marty played Ballinger at the 5 last season.

Might as well let Clarke see out the season, there is some seriously flawed players on this roster.

Reply #335795 | Report this post

It Is What It Is!  
Years ago

Im ok with the management, i believe they have all stemmed from being passionate fans to start with.

As for the team, i see alot of effort out there, they try, but they lack any real skill. Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but during a mini run in the 3rd, Adelaide had the ball just over the half way line toward our ring, and the ball was in bounded to the OTHER side of the half way line, resulting in a automatic back court violation. I actually vommitted a little in my mouth when that happend, how can you say that those players had genuine focus? Thats a massive brain fade, and unacceptable.

Also the NBL isnt like the NBA, where you can have a bad year, get some high draft picks and turn it around in one summer. Every year NBL teams are assembled to win THAT year, so Marty has had 2 off seasons now to select his teams, and its looking bad real bad, for those same to seasons. He has to be shown the door. Hasnt got an NBL brain, nothing wrong with admitting your not up to the job, it is different to the AIS, but done be a stubborn mule about it, and ruin the brand for the sake of wanting to prove everyone wrong, when you clearly dont have the self imposed tools/skills to do so. This may sound harsh, but its a business, and the 6ers havent won a playoff series since 2003.....2003, think about it. Change must be swift.

Reply #335796 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

"Anonymous
A few minutes ago
00:19 22 Oct 11

Reply #335795
re: Sixers vs Sydney
DJ, your defence and rebounding is a disgrace. No wonder Marty played Ballinger at the 5 last season.

Might as well let Clarke see out the season, there is some seriously flawed players on this roster."

Considering that he does have height and some natural talent it makes you wonder who has been coaching him for the last year.

Reply #335798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually lost in the first round in 2003.

Our last winning playoff series was the grand final 2002.

Reply #335799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ayjay,

Not defending Clarke here, but the coach doesn't have anything to do with DJ not wanting to box out or get his hands up to rebound.

He reminds me of Gordie Cullen or Pero Vasiljevic. Talented bigs who won't last in the league due to their effort levels or other reasons.

Reply #335800 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Anonymous
Within the hour
00:37 22 Oct 11

"Reply #335800
re: Sixers vs Sydney
Ayjay,

Not defending Clarke here, but the coach doesn't have anything to do with DJ not wanting to box out or get his hands up to rebound.

He reminds me of Gordie Cullen or Pero Vasiljevic. Talented bigs who won't last in the league due to their effort levels or other reasons."

I guess things have changed since my day since I see the the coaches responsabilities to be exactly that.

How would you define what a coach should be doing if it is not to promote and develop the the players skills and abilities individually as well as directing their coordination as a team.

Reply #335802 | Report this post

It Is What It Is!  
Years ago

Player doesnt want to boxout? Player doesnt play, and coach makes that decision. I havent seen Clarke install any fright into these players, and lets not get started on his affair with Weigh. The court time he is being given, and the green light to shoot anything from anywhere is beyond me. Weigh is no up and coming star in this league, serviceable is the extent with him.

Reply #335803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All part of Marty's 3 year plan!

Reply #335804 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

you guys still think you will finish higher than 7th?

Reply #335807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if ur team pulls in 20 offensive rebounds and still loses... It means you suck.. Haha god help the 36ers! Nice work on dropping bruce 2, he has been sydneys most consistent player!

Reply #335809 | Report this post

36ers solja  
Years ago

If Bruce was lucky to hit 4 3's and provide something for his team, then the last few weeks have also been a lucky streak for him.

As for these promo cards, Im glad someone has enlightened me. Never trust another sixer scam. This wont be the last you hear on this, thats for sure.

Reply #335810 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Well you get all hyped up for season to see your team you pump up others to come along and then you see that and it is so sad .
Maybe Marty should grab one of any long term season ticket holder and just put him in the team to install some bl---y passion and desire out there .
Posters have kept dumping on Moose cant coach well he had a team out there moving all the time with system and quick precise movement and knew how and had desire to defend .
Lets cover the players rather than all the crap that went on
Creek ---- The most over rated player in the world .Though does try to defend at times
Balls --- Needed the run but plays with no heart
DJ -- Lots of ability but no defence and not used properly . He at least looked embarrased at the end how bad it was.
Herbert -- What he had he aint still got -- awful
Weigh --- Has some ability but plain dumb and not team player
Helliwell - Hell well he is a dud and dumb but should have had more time bashing hell out of Kazzough
Daly -- Too small and not quiete a NBL player
NG -- Had a average night but showed some passion start of third and created some movement and turnovers to be sat down of course
Simpson -- Well certainly a diamond missing something and not just the d at the end . Undersized for needs and no shot . But may improve
Warren -- Not as bad as other PG imports of late as doesnt stand and hog ball but no penetration to create openings and absolutely no defence .
Coaches -- They assembled the team they have to make it work and get some heat and soul out there and actual movement rather than pass the parcel until time to chuck up a shot
Refs --- As bad as our team maybe worse if possible
court announcer -- Dont know what language he talks in but did not pick up much of what he said unless yelling out.
Management -- Sorry guys they are the poor owners and if they give up its all gone and that thought is sad no matter how bad it is but hope still believe that at end of season

Reply #335812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anyone see the lunatic Sydney fan in a fluro coat dropping beer everywhere?

Reply #335814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe marty's 3 year plan was to drive all the fans away and have the club fold at the end of next season...

Reply #335815 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not excusing the result at all, but Clarke has now copped it for not letting the players play their game and also for letting Weigh loose too much. For playing Helliwell at all, then for not playing him enough against Khazzouh. For cycling players, but also for leaving guys out there when they were struggling. Always easy to make these calls in retrospect.

Oh, and someone saying we should bring back Williamson who wouldn't even be able to play for another two months (there's been no guaranteed indication that Simpson isn't a stopgap - though I doubt he is).

I thought the team lacked confidence in the Perth game and it sounds like they were nervous starting against the Kings though not sure why. That is something the coaches and two captains need to be on top of. If we're scared AT HOME going up against the Kings, as someone else said, who else are we hoping to beat? Maybe the FNQ teams, Hawks or Blaze in Adelaide, but you wouldn't rush to bet on them getting those wins on the road. When other teams desperately need a result, they will smell the fear. Clarke and co need to end this culture or expectation of losing that has been with the team for a few years now, across coaches and rosters. I imagine that comes with winning so they will need to get the jump on that or get their heads right despite that because the two games up next will be about as rough as they get.

Reply #335817 | Report this post

69ers  
Years ago

Well we have a fine bunch? Imagine we have a coach who says he is still learning? Bugga me, how do you bring a coach in for 3 years and he says he is still learning (hate that saying) one of the comments above said not a great bunch of players. Guess what the coach picked them! But then again if they were fitter probably see the game out, if they had a coach who actually was in control of the players they would be better. They are a great bunch of players with a coach who is still learning. Someone said we should let him see out his contract. Guess what how many players have been dumped as they were not playing well?
If this coach stays on not only will we stay bottom but it might be the death of the 36ers.
Perth will make mince meat of them and the kiwis will be on cloud nine if the All Blacks win on Sunday.
Change the coach and upgrade the fitness plan and we might have a winning team.
this is my last post until we actually see changes to a becoming lost cause

Reply #335818 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

A few thoughts from last night:

- Moose is an idiot. With his team up by more than 20 in the dying seconds on the game he's parading up and down sidelines screaming at his team "No score, don't let them score!!!". Seriously?

- Less than 12 minutes into the game our entire rotation of 10 had already hit the court. That seems pretty weird and unnecessary when you're only playing 1 game a week and you're not running a trap or anything that would exhaust the players more than usual.

- I like DJ. I really do, I think he's an extremely skilled offensive player and I think we should look to him to provide more scoring. HOWEVER - he is a black hole offensively and once he gets it down low he's taking that shot 10 times out of 10. With no one else a real threat down low out offense is reduced to passing around the three point line for 20 seconds or dumping it in to DJ for him to go to work. It would be nice to get an inside outside game going, dump it in the someone in the post then have Creek and Weigh slashing to the basket for the easy hand off finish. I can't ever see DJ winning a championship in the NBL.

- Last week I watched Brad Hill and Jacob Holmes both tear it up. This week I saw Aaron Bruce tear it up. I don't know if this is coincidental or whether Clarke's structured regime is stifling our players. It feels like we're getting the downside of Goorjian's boring "stay within the system" offense without the upside of winning games and playing great D.

Reply #335819 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

dj should probably leave the 36ers before the upside of his potential is totally destroyed by the negativity that is bred so well in the clarke system.

Reply #335821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now i know why some players dont want to sign in Adelaide, was too risky career wise to be playing under Clarke. I get it now...

Even his style bugs me, has no emotion, doesnt relly do much of anything out there, oh he did clap a 3 point play I thik Dj had when we were down 30... that smells so much of AIS coaching right there, 'just keep improving, baby steps'. This is the main event.

Reply #335823 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Billo you are right when the ball goes into DJ (Same with Simpson) it is like a black hole but can you blame him when the ball barely either goes into the low post?

Reply #335824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce has always been caoabke if 'tearing it up' u sixers fans just neva kno wat talent is. Best rookie of the year for a while besidrs ingles

Reply #335827 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

What did people expect out of Creek?

When he signed with the 36ers, he was 19 (Still is) and had no jumpshot and was a tweener (not tall enough to be a post player and not a good enough shooter to be an outside player)

Everyone knew that.

Really guys, what did you expect from him. Did you hope he would in the space of a year, grow 2-3 inches and develop a killer jumpshot?

I played against him and I realised it would be some years until he is a consistent, legitimate offensive threat in the NBL.

I think the signing by Clarke was a bad one--not necessarily for the actual signing, but for the timing of it.
Last season, when he was signed the 36ers had terrible depth and some ordinary offensive players.
Why they would go out and get a development player in a time like that i have no idea.

They should have been scouting a legit scoring option.
I think everyone was so desperate for an offensive threat that would be a consistent scorer, that they placed too much pressure on Creek to fill that gap.

PLUS, another problem with the signing is that there is limited loyalty in the NBL. Guys will go to where there is more money. Additionally, Creek isn't even from Adelaide.
So when he is a very good player in 2 years (which could happen), what's stopping him from accepting a better offer from a Melbourne team (after all that is his home state).
I doubt his answer will be "Oh no I'd like to stay with Adelaide because they are a winning team with good management"

People thought that Creek would be the next Ingles, a start tearing stuff up in his debut year.

Ingles is a 6"8 3 man, with a nice shooting touch, great size, length and athleticism.

Creek is a 6"5 player who doesn't fit a single position, lacks height and length, and is a terrible shooter.All he has is athleticism.

Reply #335831 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He has more than that. He was outstanding at the U19 WCs. Have people forgot that he had 18p on 7/9, 2/2 3pfg last week against Wollongong?

Very few 19 year olds are consistent week in week out, and none of them can carry a team.

Reply #335832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers solja it would probably be good for you to call the 36ers and gain a copy of the game DVD. Your comment about the foul with 1:15 to okay in the 3rd is quite funny as Mitch Creek smashed Anatoly Bose from behind on a shot and then raises his hand to acknowledge foul! Yeah match fixing.....funny

Reply #335834 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

OK, just because someone has dared someone to support Marty, I'll put my hand up as Devil's Advocate.

It's disgusting that people are bagging Marty and portraying him as some incompetent coach unable to make logical coaching decisions that no-one wants to play under. He's the best coach we've had since Scott Ninnis.

It's true that the players cut from last year's roster have shone like diamonds at other clubs. Bruce, Hill, Dowdell and Holmes are playing well. That only strengthens the case that Marty is not to blame for the current woes at the Sixers. It shows that players are unable to perform at their best at the Club, regardless of their talent and efforts.

Misfortune has followed the club on and off the court for a number of years and that misfortune is a result of curse placed on the Club by persons unknown. How can we lift this curse? It is obvious that the cool, calm, logical mind of our coaches, and therefore Marty at this point in time, become affected by the curse permeating the Club. I propose that Marty and his assistants wear aluminium foil hats in order that they remain unaffected by this curse. Naturally, wearing tin foil hats in public would make they look like inmates of Glenside, so I propose that they wear these tin foil hats imbedded in their normal hats.

I suggest that getting rid of Marty will not lift the curse. Marty's success at another NBL Club will only confirm the existance of the curse.

Reply #335836 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hard to argue with that.

Reply #335838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Our culture is dwindling fast. We need positive changes at all levels IMO.

What we can't do though, is completely change everything, everytime we suck. We need players and coaches to settle in, no point giving a year to players and then saying "you're out". We'll do that for eternity unless we really dig in with a program.

Look at Melbourne, the guys have Ubaka, Dorsey, Dillon from Cairns GF team, they have Mills from the NBA, Rush from Europe, Trigger and Burston from last year.

Look at Perth. Redhage, Martin, Wagstaff, Tovey etc. all been there for a while.

Reply #335841 | Report this post

harry  
Years ago

gawn

Reply #335843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone mentioned Goorjian above, and while he had his system, he changed the system to fit the players he had on the roster, and gave them the license (or freedom) to play their games.

Marty Clarke did jack at the AIS, no big names have come out since he's been there (like your Bogut, Mills etc.) And while he was there, there was a developing attitude of that you don't want to play at the AIS. He was a dud coach to begin with, and he appears to be too stubborn to change his ways to have any success at the NBL level.

Reply #335844 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

People are saying he is a good coach..How can you prove that?

I can give you facts that proves the opposite to that..

Clarke led them to 8th with a record of 9-19 last season.
He has coached the team to a 0-3 record this season so far.

So overall, his coaching record stands at 9-22.

His bizzare subs, poor recruiting and scouting, and inability to maximise players potential is ridicolous.

People may say he didn't have a good roster to work with last season, and had some dud imports.
BUT, people often forget that one of a coach's most important roles is assembling the roster.
He was responsible for assembling the roster, and for electing to go with those imports.

Reply #335845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon that the crowd needs to get behind the team when they are down, huge roars when something is going right but how about some encouragement when things are going down. More noise not a sterile stadium is what they need. Make them feel our pain, make them feel our disappointment in them and they will drop their heads like kids. Yes they are paid adults and should perform should have more pride in their craft. How about the crowd rising behind the team and the coach.

Adelaide crowds used to be called the best sixth man in the league, now IMO we sulk in our seats when things don't go away, we withdraw our vital support when they need it most when they are down.

Kick a dog when it is down it will slink away, now many may argue that they deserve to slink away but we as the crowd should not have to we have paid money to support the team. We would all like to be arm chair critics and make changes but we have to believe that the management and ownership of the club are about making the club stronger.

Sure I'd like to see Clarke ease up on the robotic nature of his play either be tougher and rip em a new one when they need it or chill and let them play but it isn't just all Marty and the constant chatter on here about replacing them or how stupid and inept they are all are surely doesn't help. As parents if we treated our kids that way as stupid and inept. Hopeless at all they do and try they will eventually not try and it will become a self fulfilling prophecy they will be hopeless and not worthy of anything.

reinforce their good points get them to work on their bad points and they should grow in stature, why shouldn't that be the same. If we constant harp that Clarke can't coach or DJ can't play defence which I am sure he knows, does it help they mindset?

Perhaps as a crowd we are being too critical and should be more supportive I have been a ticket holder since 92. We are not the fans that we used to be, yes we should be getting more value for money. Lets come out and support our team, lets make more noise when we are in defence, lets be the force of a crowd that we know we can be, then we know we have done our best and it is up to the players and coaches to do their bit.

BTW Marvin the Martian wore alfoil and it helped him

Reply #335846 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, I thought the crowd during the Perth game was pretty supportive for the highlights, given the way the game was headed. Not a lot of support on the net, but they generally get cheers until the final result I think.

MACDUB, 36ers recruiting this year was voted highly in the preseason poll of coaches.

Reply #335853 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I love some of the comments on this forum....

"Creek is a 6"5 player who doesn't fit a single position, lacks height and length, and is a terrible shooter.All he has is athleticism."

Now he lacks height and lenght...want to go ask Michael Jordan how he managed being all of ONE inch taller??
Now I know theres a freaking massive skill difference but seriously its clearly not all about having that extra 4 inches!!!!

Reply #335854 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

wow what up with all the negatives?

Stephen Weigh was an upcoming star, well before he went to Adelaide, guess kinda like the Brad Hill guy that was around during previous years.

and don't be so impatient, this is a 3 year plan! you guys are only lil over a year into the plan, according to the 'mighty' clark there is still lot of time left.

Reply #335855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 335844, players Marty coached at the ais include mills, ogilvy, ingles, jawai, weigh, Barnes, maric, Newley, Damien Martin, bogut, dellavadova, knight, Bruce, markovic, Gibson... (a majority of boomers current squad) So I would hardly say he did jack while there.

Reply #335858 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Theres no doubting he has recruited players, but IMO they are merely role players and Weigh is overrated Unfortunately.

Helliwell--Don't need to say anymore
Crosswel--Good pickup, solid player but he isn't going to win you games
Weigh--Overrated. Was good in Perth, but IMO the fact that he had Martin and Lisch made him look a little better than he is.

The question here is whether other clubs actually wanted these guys.

Crosswell averaged 5.6ppg in roughly 15mins a game, and nearly 2 TO's a game. I don't think resigning him would have been at the forefront of their mind (Plus they have Norton who could give you the exact same production even in his debut year)

Weigh only averaged 11ppg last season and shot @25 % from 3. God only knows how worse this would have been without Martin, Lisch and co. Perth, IMHO, wouldn't have been too concerned with the departure of Weigh. Heck it allowed them to go out and get a C in Nevill.

Helliwell averaged 4.0ppg last season and the Tigers were paying him some crazy amount. Don't think many teams, if any, would have wanted to even go near him. He is terrible.

It's not like Clarke went out and got guys that are stars. Truth is the teams which they left probably wouldn't have cared too much and I doubt many other teams would have gone after Helliwell or Crosswell.

And I would say some teams were actually relunctant to sign Weigh for how much he was asking

Reply #335859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys take basketball too seriously. Relax.

Reply #335860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guys who were under the AIS under Clark, left after like one season, and then that's when they became who they were. Even look at the example of Hugh Greenwood, did jack at the AIS under Clark, he goes back home, and he becomes a star instantly in the SEABL when he's given the freedom, yes he may have been slightly developed under Clark, but he did not perform under Clark, therefore Clark is not a game coach, and all those guys became who they were once they left the AIS (and they were only there for like one year under CLark).

Reply #335865 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

well 'Mighty' Clarke better be doing his 'miraculous' work with DJ and Creek if he was so instrumental with those player's development

Reply #335866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

loyalty who says there is none a number of wildcats took pay cuts to remain at the team so they have a chance at a championship. Weigh is an average player there is a reason why tovey was starting ahead of him last season.

Reply #335868 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Greenwood was like 14 when Clarke was at the AIS.

Reply #335869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a shambles and Clark is the one steering the ship into the iceberg... With his trusty rat! It's done, that wasn't a team last night, poor bastards had no idea what they were meant to be doing!

Reply #335870 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Did someone really just compare Creek and Jordan?

Reply #335872 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was Clarke just then on ch9news at the beach recovery session today.
" Nah , we're not in turmoil . If there was dissension in the group , then there would be
but there's not. I'm not thinking about NZ.
Perth gave us a belting , last game but we'll be in better shape. Ballinger's 17 minutes will increase."

Crosswell is unlikely to make the trip and Perth think they've already won this game easily.

Not expecting to beat Perth in perth or NZ in NZ
this game was sooo important , our team came out nervous and shot 30%.
In Wollongong they shot enough to win at 50% but the defense was disappointing.
Here , we do sufficient shooting under pressure.
Ballinger shot well this week , but poorly in the game
Of Ng I cain't say .. didn't train.
Warren missed his free throws agen , this game.

Aaron Bruce approximately 24mins 18points 6 assists
4rebounds 5 turnovers is his Kings average this season and preseason.

Reply #335877 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

C'mon, I mean whats he going to say? 'Yeah the panic button has been pressed, i actually dont know what else we can do to win!"... he wont say it but privately he would be sweating bullets, surely.

Reply #335879 | Report this post

Passionate  
Years ago

Adelaide has a fantastic women's team that is looking like having an excellent season maybe you all should jump ship and start supporting the girls. Now they have real commitment to the game.

Reply #335887 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/tin-foil-hat.jpg

Reply #335893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Passionate' that wonderful team lost last week but thrashed the AIS this week and hardly deserves the title 'fantastic women's team'. Jumping ship to them would be like going from bad to worse.

Reply #335898 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I'm suddenly tempted to wear a foil hat to the next home game. That's how far my hopes have slumped. I'm seeking inspiration from the most unlikely of places.

Reply #335907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

0-5 here we come!

Reply #335908 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Well good on you Jack Toft for posting something positive.
Yes anon stated the bl---y obvious that we will be 0--5 but us true supporters not s--t stirrers just want to see some heart -- some system and real passion out there to start heading in right direction.
Maybe Clarke needs to change style or give some ownership to group.

Reply #335941 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I am just pissed off with Adelaide because my tipping was going bad enough without them not defending their home court against the Kings of all teams!

Reply #335943 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Let's do it Ads.

Reply #336008 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Dead Pool thread too much Isaac?

Reply #336009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll say it now...if this season sucks then the Sixers will be looking for an NBL bail out or they'll be gone. That's the reality of it.

Reply #336032 | Report this post

Bogger  
Years ago

That game was one of the worst things i've seen in a long time! What the hell were the coaches thinking by subbing out Darren Ng after just pulling the whole team back into a position to actually get back into the game... I mean, fa fu**s sake, if someone is hot or actually playing with some passion, YOU LEAVE THEM ON!!!!

It was no surprise that the lead blew out not long after. Stop trying to stick to organized player rotations and let the guys play! There is no gel between anyone at the moment.

This terrible brand of basketball and the demise of our winning and passionate culture is long gone.

Reply #336055 | Report this post

Bogger  
Years ago

That game was one of the worst things i've seen in a long time! What the hell were the coaches thinking by subbing out Darren Ng after just pulling the whole team back into a position to actually get back into the game... I mean, fa fu**s sake, if someone is hot or actually playing with some passion, YOU LEAVE THEM ON!!!!

It was no surprise that the lead blew out not long after. Stop trying to stick to organized player rotations and let the guys play! There is no gel between anyone at the moment.

This terrible brand of basketball and the demise of our winning and passionate culture is long gone.

Reply #336058 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:46 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754