Anonymous
Years ago

live streaming nbl :confused:

as a live streaming novice and one who did not expect that a year in from good coverage it would even be warranted to watch games on the net, i am confused.
andthefoulnet had posted on facebook something about ten being very unhappy that fans were using live streams as an alternative to the bad coverage and were looking to do something about this.

i dont have a team so i cant just rock up to a game as an alternative and i dont want to rearrange my weekends just for an nbl game.
what does this crackdown of streaming mean exactly is it just an idle threat or can they seriously do something about it blocking access to these sites etc.
remember i am a streaming novice, also posted about the having a category for it here on the site, but looks to be increasingly not possible ?

if ten are not going to provide coverage that is acceptable to the viewing public then it should be their choice to live stream elsewhere if they can get it and want to go to the effort of doing so.
please throw in your feedback mostly for you ones up with the live streaming business.
ta in advance

Topic #26656 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Legally not the option of others though I agree that people will tend to look for alternatives if they're unhappy.

Reply #335959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

legally then cant do anything about it then ?

Reply #336017 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I'm sure legally they can do something about it as it would be their coverage/production package that is getting illegally streamed?

Interesting that Ten/One would be that protective considering they are giving the opinion that no one is watching the NBL anyway?

Reply #336019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends where the stream is hosted. The govt of that country just might not give enough of a shit to do anything about it.

Reply #336021 | Report this post

TONNA  
Years ago

Firstrow Sports is the site that most NBL fans use to stream the NBL games. I saw a tweet by andthefoul saying that TEN/ONE had managed to get firstrow blocked in Australia or something.

Then i looked at the ANZBallaz twitter account & they said the same thing 10minutes earlier. On their site they mentioned they were contacted by ONE as well, telling them to stop posting links to the live streaming as well.

Reply #336023 | Report this post

TONNA  
Years ago

Firstrow is hosted in America.

When Firstrow was blocked, andthefoul tweeted another live link from a different website. Where there's a will, there's a way. Fans will always find a way...

Reply #336024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if ONE showed the games at 9.30 a lot more people would watch. But 10.30 and somwtimes later is just too late. I am amazed that the average ratings are 20 to 30 thousand. Must be quite a bit higher than that to start with because a fair few would go to bed half way through, especially if its a blowout.

Reply #336025 | Report this post

TONNA  
Years ago

Sundays would also rate a lot lower

Reply #336028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

[they mentioned they were contacted by ONE as well, telling them to stop posting links to the live streaming as well.] sheezus, they can do that ? do they threaten people too ? I get that its their product and all but to go around contacting individuals and all wow. They prob get ur facebook page shut down too ? That is harsh what they are doing seems heavy handed big bro stuff, a big network bullying a few odd individuals wow shocked. The comment ten made people arent watching it anyway and they dont care about nbl is a contradiction if they go round smacking the hands of a couple of individuals, so ten dont care that means nobody out there is allowed to either ? They should be happy somebody else out there is doing the work they dont want to.

Reply #336033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just show it earlier and we wont watch live streams!

Reply #336036 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The issue for me isn't even the late timeslot. It's the fact that it isn't live, or slightly delayed. In this day and age it's pretty hard to avoid news, so you're going to know the outcome by the time you start watching..

Reply #336095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I am amazed that the average ratings are 20 to 30 thousand."

That's because the figures are extrapolated from a tiny sample of people randomly selected by a computer program which calls home phone numbers. If you don't have a phone forget it.

The ratings number is a guesstimation. It's not even close to accurate. The TV ratings system is a joke. They should post it as points (like the US) or as an actual count of people with TV set top boxes.

Unfortunately the cost of making the figures accurate as well as the invasion of privacy that many would be opposed to means that the bias of older generation watched shows and traditional sports over others will continue.

Sports like basketball will never get any kind of numbers.

Reply #336096 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Hey Guys,
I run the andthefoul.net website.

I post links to live streaming of games via Twitter. I do this because A. It's 2011, watching delayed sport is so 80s. With the internet these days it's hard to not find out the score before you watch the game. You have to avoid all social media & forums such as this. Hell i can't even check my phone in case a friend at the game, sends me an SMS about the game. If i watch games on One.. i have a total contact blackout.
B. Because a lot of people hit me up on Twitter saying how impossible it is for them to stay up, mainly on a Sunday night.. to watch the game on One. A lot of people can't stay up until 1am watching the games. Or on a weekend want to watch the games before they hit the pub. I am now also recording games for downloading.

I do encourage people to ALSO watch One because it does count towards ratings and does help the league. Even if you only watch a bit of it.

I'm aware that a friend of ours website had been contacted indirectly by TEN and told they were "unhappy" about them posting live feeds. No legal action can be taken as they are not hosting the video. Merely posting a embedded video on their site. But they do not (rightly so) want to piss off the league or its sponsors. So they have taken down the embedded videos.

I have written a few articles about One, delayed broadcast issues etc. But i am currently trying to get a quote from as many NBL/Basketball fans as possible for another article. Giving fans more of a voice than just usual facebook vents on the One facebook page. Feel free to send in some words. One sentence or a whole venting story. Twitter: @andthefoulnet Email: [email protected] Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/And-The-Foulnet/226891957324072

Reply #336098 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

@natwhereyouat- love your work!!! how does it work with streaming a live feed- ie- are you "taking" the footage from 10/one- i have no idea how it is possible for us to get games over the net when they are not being broadcast. without going into too much detail, could you provide an explanation for the lay man....

Thanks,
Keep up your awesome work!
T

Reply #336133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The One HD games are broadcast live into NZ despite being shown on delay here so I'd assume that's how they're able to get the One feed.

Reply #336135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Betting agencies show it live.

Reply #336144 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

@tyrell

The live feed is what's shown on ONE later that night. They come directly form the ONE/TEN van, unedited.
Usually these sorts of feeds are set up by someone uploading live TV via their computer. This is how a lot of people use to watch NBA games in Australia even if they didnt have PayTV.

THIS feed though, is raw & unedited so there would be someone in the ONE van or at HQ uploading this feed. Not sure why they are doing it, but i'm glad.

The guy that runs the site is actually Australian (Nowra boy) but the site is based & hosted in Germany. So legally, TEN can't touch it. But they can get Aus ISPs to block the site. Which apprently they've tried..

Reply #336150 | Report this post

harry  
Years ago

stuff em
its the same as the afl and other sports
there will ALWAYS be live streams as long as people want LIVE sport that tv stations in their region are not giving them
simple

good on those that do it
then tv companies might get with the times
FTA is utter crap anyway

Reply #336276 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The feed goes out live from Ten to Sky in NZ and betting agencies around the world.

Reply #336301 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:44 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754