Scrote
Years ago

Referee Hilarity

how good is it when you see a referee trip over during a game.

ohhh the sweet justice. puts a smile on my face every time i think of it.

does anyone have any stories of priceless referee moments? things they have said? reasons why they didn't call fouls? things YOU have said in reply?

Topic #2667 | Report this topic

mr congeniality  
Years ago

I'm sure Jeff stanley has come up with some gems over the years.

Reply #30091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how about this:
a guy got called for a 3 second in the key call, and a guy on his team said 'he wasn't in the key!' and the ref replied back "he was in there for at least 5 seconds!'

how about calling it after 3 seconds, genius

Reply #30100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey genius how about knowing the rules before posting that rubbish!

Reply #30101 | Report this post

Sticks  
Years ago

Yeah, it happens often when the ball goes out of court in suspicious circumstances (someone over the back or two players collide) the ref gives it back to the guy who tapped it out - and when you dispute it, they say 'well, it's either that or a foul on you'. So call the foul you baby!

Reply #30103 | Report this post

Scrote  
Years ago

sorry, i really didn't mean this to slam refs.

i was a ref once, and i had a major stack in a game and in retrospect i am glad it made everyone laugh their guts out

I don't want to be mean, they have a tough job, but funny stuff happens, and i bet they have heard IT ALL from players - would love to hear any stories of wild threats or just funny comebacks...thats all.

Reply #30104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sticks and the first anonymous need to brush up on a referee course.

Reply #30105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed.

anon, the three second rule ISN'T 1-2-3 Got ya! In fact that is exactly what the rule says NOT to do.

Sticks. It's called game management, like it or not thats how it is.

Reply #30106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it was tonight in the Norwood vs Southern game. So some ref's better go back to ref school and get it right.

Reply #30107 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

One ref, at a carnival gave a Tech to a player for saying "Jesus Christ".

His reasoning: "Well, today's Sunday...it's the Lord's Day, and you have taken the Lord's name in vain!"

Reply #30109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was like the benny hill show. At the end of the day the talent of the refs reflected the lack of talent across the baord in this game. DB, CB, AW, TB, CO from both teams all need to question themselves and their attitide in this game. This is why Cellar Dwellars exist! Gr8 show of ordinary teams and the worse team finnished bottom.

Reply #30110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#30103) i call that good umpiring

Reply #30128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referee was once told that he needed a snorkel cos he was out of his depth

Reply #30129 | Report this post

indalceio  
Years ago

I may have posted this before but here goes.

Larry Senstock said to Eddie Crouch in a NBL game "Can you get a tech for what you are thinking"
Eddie said "no, why"?
Larry "Because I think you're a @%#&"

Reply #30287 | Report this post

mp  
Years ago

A few years ago, I was reffing a div 2 mens game at Port Adelaide, I was too close to the base line, a player came thru for a layup, tripped over a defenders foot.

I was quick enough to call the foul but not quick enough to get out of the way, and copped a head butt to the private parts.

The player asked if I was ok when I started breathing again, I tiurned around and said to him " I've heard of sucking up to the ref, but thats ridiculous!"

As a result I no longer stand close to the end line of the court while on lead.

Reply #30364 | Report this post

mp  
Years ago

Also in a women's game, I called a foul and the defender asked me if the player with the ball was my girlfriend and was I going to "have relations" with her that night?

I threw her out of the game and as she walked past I said to her "my girlfriend is sitting over there on the sideline, but you seem interested - you can wait outside for me"

Reply #30365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does your wife know about that story mp???

Reply #30495 | Report this post

lickity split  
Years ago

anon#30110
I was at the norwood and southern game what players need to question themselves and attitudes to the game? apart from one tech everything seemed normal. explain

Reply #30606 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:21 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754