Fred
Years ago

Showron Glover - 39 seconds ????

According to Live Stats he got 39 seconds last night against Cairns. Is this correct? And why?

Topic #26697 | Report this topic

kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah came in towards the end of the 1st half i believe, unless he somehow got injured during that time, im not sure how bad he couldve played to not warrant more time. Mind you, in his time on court, there was a hawks 24second violation, perhaps he went waaaaaay out of the team offense. But im speculating.

Reply #336766 | Report this post

Rafael Furcale  
Years ago

How about the fanboys take a step back and wait till he has a few more training sessions with the team before jumping up and down to question why he only play x amount of time. Geordie has said all along Showron is not being looked at as someone who is going to come in right away and get minutes or dominate like Ervin & McKee. Just let him settle in before you go any more overboard in hailing him as the coming.

Reply #336780 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

You don't think It's fair to question why a new import for a team only got 39 seconds on debut?

Reply #336786 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Dont remember that last time an import was utilised in his first game for all of 39seconds, i think its an interesting and valid discussion. Why would you even bother flying him up there if he was so ridiculously out of shape etc if he wasnt going to play? And for what its worth i dont think he will be any good at all, quick but takes undersized to a new level.

Reply #336787 | Report this post

Rafael Furcale  
Years ago

Hawks Facebook said he only got clearance yesterday if that is the case a good coach would have been preparing the team to play without the player in question. Martyn had a solid game looking at the stats and Hawks won. Non issue. Hope for the Hawks when he does get a chance he can show some of the stuff people are talking about.

Reply #336796 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Said in his signing article that he'd been trialling for 2 weeks.
Would have thought in that time he would have picked up the structures etc. enough to fit into the team.
Most imports arrive within that week, yet still play. Simpson probably only had 1 training session with the team before the Wollongong game.

Reply #336798 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Has been brought in as an impact off the bench kind of guy to change the pace, and Gordie may have felt he didnt need that with his team in front most of the way. I imagine he'll be a while away from understanding the Hawks defensive concepts, which appear quite complex, so no surprise really.

I would expect to see him play a few short bursts on Sunday and get extra minutes if he can contribute or if Mills speed is too much for Martin and Demos. Martin's done pretty well against some speedy pgs so far though.

Reply #336804 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Something to compare it to, Serge Ibaka's debut for Real Madrid.

"Real also added Oklahoma Thunder forward Serge Ibaka to their squad earlier this week and his cameo appearance against Milan suggests he needed more time to find his feet after returning to Europe.

Ibaka went scoreless in a little over three minutes on the court but was happy to see some action after moving across the Atlantic as negotiations in North America to end the lockout continue to stall."

Reply #336805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read somewhere Deron Williams is playing at the 2 guard spot for Besiktas in Turkey despite being one of the best PG's in the world.

It would have more to do with those NBA players only being there for a short time (supposedly) so teams don't want to upset their makeups too much.

Just 39 seconds for Glover is a bit weird, a few minutes okay but a couple of possessions?

Reply #336806 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Great coaching by Gordie. Used the players he has been playing all season but had him there if needed. He got the win but I believe the double win was on his mind.

He goes into Sunday's game clean because you can't scout someone in the NBL in 39 seconds.

Reply #336807 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

No issues here, he has been here in Wollongong for 10 days, but has only had 3 training sessions due to the Hawks double header last week. Had the Hawks been listless like they were against Blaze, he probably would've got the nod, but the Hawks were shooting at 50% for most of the game so there was no reason to change the offense.

Reply #336820 | Report this post

Michael D  
Years ago

Agree it's a non-issue. The Hawks weren't expecting him to get clearance in time for this weekend, so they wouldn't have trained with the expectation he'd play and are probably just viewing any playing time they can give him this weekend as a bonus. If he gets 39 seconds next week, get back to me.

Reply #336822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha you guys are saying 'its a non issue' like the topic is classifying him as already being cut or something! Someone noticed a clearly unusual stat in a boxscore and made reference to it.

Reply #336824 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

Thanx Anon 336824. I was just concerned he had been injured!

Reply #336872 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

My post wasn't in reference to Fred's original post, but to the later posts by Hendo and Kobe.

Reply #336881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Showron on fire tonight! :p

Reply #336885 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Actually 5assists and 2 points in under 5minutes is not bad at all. Wonder what the deal is with not playing this guy legit minutes. Something is up with this situation, i dont care how long these guys say to give it, mediocre or not, imports play in this league.

Reply #336889 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

6 assists* in 5 minutes!

Reply #336895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

remember catron got stuff all mins in his first couple of games and now he's a starter
might be the case of proving you can play first

Reply #336913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just earning his minutes like everyone else. The only people who hold imports up on a pedastool anymore are fans.

Reply #336925 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:44 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754