rillie rillie
Years ago

Jacob Holmes

Leading the league in rebounds and arguably crocs mvp to date, why did we let him go?

Topic #26700 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cos thats all he can do...

Reply #336855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If all he can do is be possibly the MVP of the Crocs to date, then Adelaide sure did stuff up in letting him go, Adelaide just don't know talent when they have it or how to use it.

Reply #336858 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

under the Sixers systems he didn't perform to this level, I always assumed it was Holmes, might have been the Sixers?

Reply #336859 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Mystro, I agree, I always knew Jake was a scorer but he plays his role at clubs. If they want him to be a rebounder and defender (sixers) and he does it. Crocs probably said with Hinder and Schencher out we want you to be a offensive threat and that is what we are seeing in my opinion

Reply #336862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's the coach and the system that makes the difference

Gill is the key for holmes as they work the pick and pop well and he's hitting shots

holmes game is a pop out shooter and the coaching staff at the crocs have worked out a way to get the most out of this therefore his output is up - i'd bet by the end of the season teams will close out on this a little more

I also think he's a huge upgrade on hinder

and i think the crocs will be a top 4 team this year

Reply #336863 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A big difference is also having Mims alongside him taking the most athletic defensive match-up and attractive an athletic defender. Holmes never had that type of player alongside him in Adelaide.

Reply #336865 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Described as a dud in a previous thread which is the opinion of a small minority of Sixer dare I say.

Put simply, Holmes could rebound and play hussle d but his offensive output was inconsistent for a team needing a reliable second/third option as a go to scorer behind Ballinger & import (i.e. a John Williamson type) and a bigger defender (Helliwell).

Had Holmes not been grabbed by Townsville I imagine he might have been offered another contract once JW broke down.

Many Sixer fans respect Holmes and would be happy to see him doing well in FNQ and playing in a squad whos needs better match Jacob's stregnths. Many posters would agree he was to talented not to be playing in the NBL.

Reply #336868 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

*insert "fans" after the word "sixer" in the first sentence

Reply #336869 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

100% Agree here. I think the last few games, especially last night show that he really was not utilised properly by Ninnis or Clark.
Look at how we are struggling with rebounds this year, gee we could use the extra 14 that he has grabbed in the last 2 games!

To many people seem to look at shooting statistics as the only way to rate a players effectiveness. Holmes shut down alot of players offense while he was here and better utilised would never have been let go.

Its really another example of why Ninnis and Clark are not NBL coaches.

Reply #336870 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Maybe Jacob is playing better because he needed a reality check that people didnt rate him that highly when he didnt get any offers.

Reply #336871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you could also make a similar case for brad hill at cairns. seems to be playing better for them than he did here has been a fairly consistent performer for them so far.

Reply #336874 | Report this post

shotclock  
Years ago

Exactly my thoughts Muzz Buzz.
The only sportsman to not elevate his performance at another club is Brendon Fevola.
A change is as good as a holiday.
He would of been on auto pilot driving to Findon everyday and rocking up to his locker.

Reply #336875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Muzz Buzz. He got the kick up the arse he needed.

Also I dont remember Holmes shutting too many people down mobility wise he'd have trouble guarding a stobie pole.

Woolpert might be happy with him or whatever but to say he thinks Holmes is in the top 30% of players in the league is a bit much.

Reply #336880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MuzzBuss, I think Holmes was recruited by a couple of teams a few months ago, (including Tville) but didn't want to be the 10th guy on a team roster. Then when rusty injured himself, he rang jacob and convinced him to come up and play for them.

Reply #336882 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

He still hasn't found an arc on his jump shot I see...

Reply #336896 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Interesting point for Skud. Adelaide have four players in top 16 rebounds list (Weigh, Simpson, Johnson and Ballinger), yet like you I was under the impression we had struggled (sydney next best with 3 players).

Perhaps the sixers's don't need his rebounds but do need more effort from its guards on the boards.

Reply #336902 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He will always be able to get boards and score given enough shots. Needs to play a PF-type role and we didn't have minutes for him there without Ballinger playing more at centre - and didn't everyone hate that?

I thought it was probably the right move to move him on, but not unhappy to see him do well with another team - same with Hill.

Reply #336905 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

He is playing with a lot more confidence on the Offensive end, which is obvious since he is ACTUALLY SHOOTING!!!!
At the 36ers he was very hesitant to shoot so didn't score much.

It will be interesting to see how he goes when Luke is back.
Will he keep shooting or fall back into the role-player mode and just get rebounds and put-backs?

Reply #336915 | Report this post

harry  
Years ago

i have no idea why we let him go
when you need someone to get boards it makes no sense

horrible shooting action but did a job
shouldve kept him imo

seeing as we couldnt get a board in the first two games

Reply #336917 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I would say they didn't re-sign him becasue they wanted an import PF and didn't want Holmes as the backup Center.
Would Holmes be better then Helliwell????
Better in some ways, worse in others.... everyone would have a differing opinion I think

Reply #336927 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Considering how Herbert is playing so far this season, keeping Holmes instead of Herbert may have proven more fruitful.

Frankly Helliwell does his job and does it well. That's being a Paul Rees player that clogs up the lane, soaks up fouls and occasionally sinks a basket. He's not a stats man, but still gives what we need.

I'm just happy the man is doing well; nothing worse than him moving to another team only to do exactly what he was already doing.

Reply #336933 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Pretty surprising there Big Ads, no way I would have guessed we would have 4 of the top 16..I went to look at it myself on the NBL website but got a blank page lol..Thanks for the info though

Reply #336937 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doubt Holmes gets the same pay as Helliwell.

Reply #336941 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Obviously he will score less when Schensch returns. None of his shots at present are from drawn up plays, he just gets his points within the flow of the game. You can't say enough about rebounders in this league. Lots of soft big men who can't rebound. Holmes is still underrated.

Reply #336958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze & Carfino (not that he know's much) were waxing lyrical about his resurgent game on the coverage this week.

Just another reason to sack Clarke & his sidekick.
Don't let 1 miracle win over Perth fool you Adelaide.

Reply #336985 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Jacob has always been able to play. Just needed to be allowed to play to his strengths.
There are a lot players not in the NBL and could do it! if there allowed to play to there strengths.
There are to many coaches now that are control freaks. Probabluy because they were not good NBL players or never played at a high level.
Jt

Reply #338111 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754