Mystro
Years ago

Round 5 Breakers Vs 36ers NSEC

Sixers head across the ditch to face the top of the table Breakers after getting a great win over the Wildcats.
Plenty of good match ups across the court.
Weigh and Creek Vs Abercrombie and Vukona
Import PG Vs Import PG

Breakers will be tough at home and I'm picking them by 7

Topic #26717 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A great win for the Sixers last week and they must be happier than a CEO with a multi-million dollar payrise, but the big questions this week are.

1. Can we repeat last week's fine effort? The Breakers might raise last year’s flag and honour Pauley Henare like a god, but can the Sixers respond and lower Lemanis’s dacks come full time?
2. Can DJ repeat his MVP performance this week and put Wilkinson to the sword?
3. Has someone worked on Diamon’s FTs this week?
4. Growing up, did Mika Vukona’s mum feed him a spoonful of cement each day? or is he just one tough nut?
5. Will someone tell "The Noize" that they are embarrassing their grandkids?
6. Are the Sixers dancers that good, or are the Breaker Girls that ordinary?
7. Are the keyways still as slippery as an eel?
8. Does Marty scour this forum for tips, or is that Rat’s job? (they say in Tassie that two heads are better than one)
9. Marty seems to coach better when he’s fired up and frustrated. Will someone just spend game day pestering and annoying the F out of him?
10. Can anyone bring me back some L&P?

Reply #337139 | Report this post

36ers solja  
Years ago

How much L&P do you need Jack Toft?

Reply #337144 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Just a wee bit !

Reply #337145 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

L&P for the win

Reply #337146 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Wishful thinking but will the game be on TV?

Reply #337147 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

the game will be live..................in new zealand the home of televised live nbl games ;)

Reply #337149 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Not that I can see on the One schedule KJ. Plus the Saturday and Sunday games will be on another two or so hours later than usual. Shit times.

Breakers by 6.

Reply #337150 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would be happy with a consistent, decent effort from the 36ers, win would be a bonus. But that's a minimum for where this team needs to go.

Reply #337156 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I think the big key is stopping Vukona. I know Wilkinson is going to be an offensive threat and Cedric Jackson has it going on right now; but the last couple of games I've seen, it's been Vukona crashing the offensive boards and generating second chance points.

Abercrombie is "some day" going to be an absolute gun, but he's not really a threat right now.

Breakers by 10; and honestly, if we can lose by no more than that OR win; I'll be proud of the lads.

Reply #337212 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

With no coverage on ONE, I know exactly where I'll be looking to watch the game...

Agree that keeping Vukona under control is important, but I think Wilko is the most important guy for the Sixers to stop. The last few times we have played them it has been his mobility and shooting at the centre position that have killed us.

Having said that it was pleasing to see the adjustments Marty made against Perth last week to control the equally mobile bigs Redhage and Wagstaff. Hopefully something similar can work against the Breakers.

Reply #337232 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Can't have DJ regularly guarding Wilkinson. Cannot let it happen.

Warren minimizing his turnovers will be another big key. Can't let Cedric get his 5+ steals or we're in trouble.

Reply #337237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need to be shooting well. At our last home game our shooting percentage was shocking, but in Perth our shooting was really good.

Reply #337250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where can you watch the game?

Reply #337251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hoping for a stream

Reply #337262 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Big Marty I disagree, Abercrombies jump shot is much improved apart from the last couple of games where the whole teams shooting percentages have been very average so I would say yes he is a threat especially if he starts knocking down J's early and can limit his fouls.
Vukona and Anthony have been crashing the offensive boards along with Abercrombie, Pledger and Jackson. Jackson is a great pickup, a quick PG with great handles who isn't scared to rebound and loves picking pockets.

Reply #337276 | Report this post

Riverland sixer  
Years ago

Bean town where can you watch a stream

Reply #337284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone know if the game will be live on radio? If so, what station?

Reply #337304 | Report this post

peter  
Years ago

There is a link to a live radio broadcast via the NBL website

Reply #337335 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Mystro, I agree with your comments. And I didn't forget that Abercrombie is averaging around the 20ppg mark when facing adelaide either.

He will definately be the sleeper agent but I don't think he's the catalyst. That still belongs to Gary and Mika. In another 2-3 years at most, the posts will start with "They need someone to lock down Abercrombie".

I don't doubt he's improving, but I still feel he's not a major concern as of yet in the gameplan.

Just realised that the Breakers have two CJ's now. I suppose we can identify them by hair styles or something now.

Reply #337363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anyone's live stats working? It says game not available yet.

Reply #337373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers up by 8, 5 into the 1st

Reply #337375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

now by 6

Reply #337376 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Just got the radio up and running. Not looking good so far - for the Sixers or for a live stream!

How stupid are the live stats people? Don't they even know what time the game starts in Australia?!?!

C'mon one of you Kiwis, setup a stream for us!

Reply #337382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sixers doing usual thing of getting hopes up then shattering them the next game

Reply #337386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

49-30

Dammit. 36ers getting crushed, unfortunately called it..back to our normal routine of getting slaughtered.

Reply #337388 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Defence?????

Reply #337390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

simpson airball FT and breakers put a dev player on in 2nd Q, this is EMBARRASING

Reply #337393 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

*&#$ing hell.... I wonder that the betting was like for under/over on the total score.

Reply #337396 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

78-66. Here we come!

Reply #337404 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Realisticly the current score line in the last qtr is respectable, i tipped the 36ers to lose by 16, so if they get around that, its not too bad, we are not upto winning 2 a NZ road game just yet.

We have 3 good young Aussies, and both our imports seem to be keepers and good compliments to our Aus talent with vets like Ballinger and Crosswell, so things should keep improving for the 36ers IMO.

I hope we can keep or starting 5 for the next 5 years, then we will continue to have a good exciting, versatile team.

Reply #337407 | Report this post

DOUGYS  
Years ago

6 points mmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply #337409 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Wow! There's still a chance for a massive upset! Breakers 85-79 with 3:53 on the clock

Reply #337410 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Nope. We're done :(

Reply #337412 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

But nice even points spread atm and it's good to see Herbie back in some sort of form.

Reply #337413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice comeback atleast, respectable scoreline in the end.

Reply #337419 | Report this post

DOUGYS  
Years ago

Not a bad performance as far as im concerned. Losing in NZ is not shameful and we were pretty competative so good job sixers

Reply #337420 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Diamon - 20 and 8 on 9/11 shooting in just half a game. Nice.

Great effort to cut it back to 9pts. Pessimists will say NZ took their foot off the pedal but their guns (Abercrombie, Cedric, Wilkinson) still played big minutes and did most of the damage.

Reply #337423 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Great effort to lose by 9, (better than the 16pt loss i predicted).

Looks like we have 2 keepers in our imports, Simpson may be better than i thought with 20pts 8 rebounds, i was thinking he would just be a 10pt 5 rbd guy, still could be but good to see he is capable of this from time to time. Warren seems to be a great shooter, and his PG will get better with age/experience im sure and we have our vet in Crosswell helping him out, best combo of imports we have had in years. Well done to the coaching/recruiting staff. I hope we can retain them along with Johnson, Weigh, Creek as all are young and could grow together as a group and build some real chemistry by playing together for a few seasons straight.

I hope we stick with our 5 of Warren, Creek, Weigh, Simpson, Johnson for the remainder of the season, seems well balanced, quick and athletic to me.

Good to see us have just 7 guys over 15 mins, looks like Clarke has his rotations sorted better now.

Glad to see Herbert shoot well, i think thats his role now, off the bench for 10 mins, hit a few shots and play tough defense. I hope he doesnt just get thrown back into big minutes, id like to see him have a 3-4 good games straight before he gets more minutes, and even then only 15 max, as he is never going to be a star on a top side, just a very very handy role player. Big fan of Herbie but thats his role if we want to be a contender in the next few years.

Reply #337424 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Happy to see that the team was able to get itself back into the game after such a drubbing in the first half. Judging by the stats, we just turned the ball over too much in the first half, particularly Warren and Simpson. Once Crosswell got control of the team, we worked our way back into the game.

I'd say put this down primarily to inexperience on Warren's part. He's only a year out of college, so unfortunately that is the risk you take with a young guy.

Warren and particularly Simpson redeemed themselves in the second half. I reckon they only had one more TO between them, Simpson ended with 20 pts on 9/11 shooting and 8 rebounds and Warren hit some big shots late to give us a sniff.

Once again great job from Nate - he has been a brilliant pickup for this team - and Stevie Weigh looks to have had a solid night too.

Herbie may be returning to some form with some better shooting and an extended run in the 2nd half with the group that got us back into it.

Creek was also out there for a big part of the 2nd half run and seemed to make some good plays from what I heard on the radio.

The Sixers still have work to do to start being succesful, but if nothing else they have proven to themselves that they CAN compete with the best teams. Hopefully they can come back to Adelaide with their confidence intact after that 2nd half and we can see a positive result next home game.

Reply #337426 | Report this post

Real fan  
Years ago

yep, need a vocal crowd of 6000 at the Sydney game

GO SIXERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #337433 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers looked pretty stuffed in the 4th but Sixers played good in your face tight d. Jackson was a highlight machine, had the ball on a string. Wilkinson barely missed all night.

Reply #337434 | Report this post

Real fan  
Years ago

Great posative call Mysto
Grats

Reply #337437 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I think the most important part of this game is that they put the effort in to come back. Gee these fewer rotations have had an instant impact..who would have guessed lol.

Love hearing Simpson had a good game, its nice to see someone improve over the games as an import as opposed to the last few who have declined!!

Not a bad loss, NZ aren't known for taking their foot off the pedal and when a team gets back to six points you cant say they are going to continue to play easy.

Reply #337441 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Ok, killjoy warning, but I'm disappointed.

I was hopeful of another four quarter effort, as displayed last week in Perth. Instead, like myself, I imagine most fans were left deflated at half time and the satisfaction from last week's good work had dissolved.

Am I being unfair?

Do we defend the team with statements like "we should expect inconsistency, they are young" or "the starting 5 are still establishing their understanding of each others game".

I'm disappointed that we lost, but I'm more disappointed that the team let the Breakers establish a 26 point lead during the game. Admittedly these inconsistencies are traits of young teams or teams yet to, dare I say it, gel.

Still I would have preferred people come away saying "geez the Breakers were pushed to their limit, the Sixers appear legit" instead of "boy the Breakers nearly let that slip".

I want the Sixers to be feared when they walk into opposition stadiums and I expect them to make the home team earn their win. Perhaps I need to be more patient.

Reply #337443 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Even though it's a loss; considering the effort and the comeback, I would rate it a respectable effort against the benchmark.

If the turnaround in scoring is anything to go by, it just goes to show that the Sixers had the ability to win it. This will be a good game to watch in training and review how they let it slip and how the recovery went.

Reply #337445 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems we played a 1 3 1 zone d after halftime
even though y'all hate zones.

Reply #337446 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

they started so good as they unveiled the championship banner so the place would have been pumped and the players running on adrenalin. simple really. Second game at the new stadium also.

Reply #337451 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

Big Ads - you said you were dissapointed that the team let the Breakers open up a 26 point lead, and that this is a negative outcome.
If you look at it from another perspective, once down 26 the team could have given up and been handed a 40+ point loss, but in the end they kept working at it and managed to get the lead down as low as about 6 points.

Yeah they still lost and should have put in a full four quarter effort, but personally I would rather take a loss where the team shows some heart and tries to get back in the game, rather than a loss where they just give up because the lead is too big to overcome.

Reply #337453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would have thought that after DJ's great game last week that he would get a bit more than 20 mins.

Also, NBL website says crowd was only 2893. Whats the go there, especially being the Breakers first home game and their championship presentation..

Reply #337458 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I appreciate that Clarky and I guess the poor returns over the past 2 years has made me more cynical than I would like. Don't get me wrong, I was extremely pleased they got it below double digits, as it did show character that appeared lacking in the two home games.

I'm just bothered that, on the first half performance, many will not view their second half effort with the respect it might deserve and merely view the result as NZ easing up (thanks Mystro for attempting to dismiss this perception).

I accept that perhaps I am being unreasonable but I want the Sixers to be viewed as a bunch of hard nuts who give their opponents no respite (my emphasis). If the Sixers don't win then I want them to force the opposition to scratch and claw the full 40 minutes and not enjoy the comfort of a 26 point buffer in the 3rd quarter.

Reply #337466 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The first indication of the result of this game came from the NBL website. The heading read:

Wilkinson shines as Breakers thrash 36ers

I immediately thought they had lost by 30 or 40 points. To lose by 9 in New Zealand against a top form team is not shameful and a loss by 9 points is hardly a thrashing. What a stupid heading and what a senseless insult.

Reply #337468 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Yeh EC I read that..I wonder if the writer had written most of the article before half time and just forgot to change his title.

Reply #337469 | Report this post

36ers solja  
Years ago

Overall, the game last night was really about how good NZ would be and how much they would win by.

To our credit, we hung in there and it must be said, while we didnt win, perhaps if the guys play like that against NZ at home, thats a winnable game.

CJ has a bad night with plenty of minutes, however Wilkinson wasnt contained and did as he liked which probably cost us. And pledger is one awesome player.

To lose by 9 is really a very good effort however if the margin wasnt so big at half time, it might have been possible to sneak a win.

If we back it up next week at home and then follow it with another 2 wins, 4-4 isnt bad.

Reply #337472 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If the Sixers can play with the intensity that they had in the 2cnd half, they will win games.

Reply #337478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skud that's exactly what happened!

Reply #337480 | Report this post

Elvis  
Years ago

"We played so well in that second half," enthused Simpson. “There's no doubt in my mind we’re going to be a great team.

What a joke!

Reply #337589 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Elvis, did you see the Sixers in the 2cnd half and the Breakers in the first?

Reply #337620 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:01 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754