Anonymous
Years ago

Sydney Kings decline Lamar Odom offer

Meanwhile, NBL team the Sydney Kings have revealed they binned an offer from Khloe's husband to play for the team tonight.

LA Lakers star forward Lamar Odom, sidelined by the NBA lockout and tagging along with his wife and sister-in-law, approached Kings club management about appearing on a one-off "import" basis - but was knocked back in favour of local players.

"We thought the offer was more sideshow than substance," Kings spokesman David Wolf said.

"We invited him to the game and there's always room in The Kingdome for the Kardashian entourage ... but to sideline a local player wasn't going to work."

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/khloe-kardashians-husband-lamar-odom-gets-a-starry-haircut/story-e6frfmqi-1226185029237#ixzz1ceUnynOw

Topic #26728 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

he should give Seamus a call at the tigers. they have plenty of players wanting to stand aside.

Reply #337473 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Can see where the Kings are coming from but damn, they guy would flat out dominate NBL big guys with his strength and speed not to mention his touch. Would have been some amazing highlights.

I'm gonna go tweet Kevin Durant and see if he wants to play social next week in Auckland and to not tell Lebron so he can't play for the other team.

Reply #337476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fat NBA guys have been stinking it up around the place in the lockout. If in top shape maybe but for one game he would probably be useless and cost them any chance of winning.Woulda been good to watch though.

Reply #337481 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Odom is in top shape from rolling his wife around the bedroom

Reply #337483 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

WOW.........I am sure a development palyer would have stood aside. Poor decision Kings IMO

Reply #337489 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

A development player can't stand aside for an American NBA player, he is automatically a 10 point Import

Reply #337494 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Kings = stoopid

Reply #337498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put Kim Kash out there because with that huge arse no one is getting around her when she boxes out...

Reply #337504 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Good call. This isn't an exhibition league.

Reply #337505 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

silly decision kings. at least have him sit on the bench and give him a few minutes early if possible. if he goes well give him a few more minutes.
Kevin ratzsch or odom????? i know who i'd choose.

first bogut now odom, who the f#*k is running this show

boycotting the game tonight

Reply #337514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wasn't the Kings decision not to sign Bogut. FIBA wouldn't change the insurance to how Bogut wanted it.

Reply #337519 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Interesting one. A lot of questions though; did he want money? How much insurance would have to be paid? Was he prepared to train? Did he want any guarantees eg starter, minutes? Is he in shape?

Hard to guage the Kings response without knowing those. Also strange comment re a local player as obviously it would have to be an import miss out.

Reply #337521 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

It's not an exhibition league but it would you call the A-league an exhibition league? They have signed has-been players on short contracts for publicity numerous times. Odom is a bonafide NBA player, not a has-been.

I just think the NBL needs to think outside of the square a bit sometimes.

Reply #337526 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I guess the other thing is ticket sales. Are they tracking really well for Mills' appearance? If so there is probably no need for Odom.

Reply #337529 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well , in the end Kim Kash left Australia yesterday.
She needed to sort out her divorce.

Reply #337531 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

I don't know if you can believe the Kings to turn them back...sounds more to me like they're just trying to make their club sound good or whatever...

insurance would be the 1st issue in dealing with having a 1 off game, I doubt Odom offered it, but can see it from the other way around.

Reply #337533 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

ps: do you rather see Ben Madgen play or Lamar Odom? come on Sydney, be real

Reply #337535 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Contractually, can you release an import for 1 game then pick them back up the next week?
I'd call that breach of contract.
There's only 2 players who could have stood aside for him and that's Grant and Ratzsch.
Can't see either of these guys being prepared to do it. Ratzsch is fighting to keep his contract and could be cut any minute (really hasn't been great). Grant is in really good form and you don't really want to lose that momentum just for a 1 night publicity stunt.
If Sydney were seriously considering cutting Ratzsch, that's the only way I could see this actually happening. Release Ratzsch, bring in Odom for the game, then search for a new import.

Reply #337536 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

You'd have to think he'd want to be paid. Any visa issues if he wants to work while he's in Australia?

Whom would they sit out to allow him to come onto the playing group? How would that affect their game plan?

If he does want money, what does that do to their salary cap, if the sat out player isn't on injury or other waivers? Do they have to sit the (10 point) player out for a minimum number of games for his salary to be excluded from the cap for those games?

So many questions. Makes me think it was most likely an unrealistic offer.

Reply #337537 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most likely unrealistic and they've gone home anyways
despite having a few offers , here.

Reply #337538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lamar Odom is more then welcomed to play in my social team!

Reply #337540 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

This was always a media beat-up... Like PeterJohn said, there are so many other things surrounding someone coming in for just one came than who are they going to sit out...

Anyone considering boycotting the game because it didn't happen, even if he WAS still in the country, I'm glad that the average IQ of the general populous tonight will have increased significantly...

It would have been great to have someone of his quality play, but not for one game while he's in town for a few days... I for one am glad that the Kings didn't entertain the notion...

Reply #337551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anybody even taking this remotely seriously is a fool. Massive media beat-up, nothing more. Lamar's new best mate is Rodney O anyway so there's no way he'd make an appearance for the Kings given how much the O and the Kings are at loggerheads right now.

Reply #337553 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

kim kash.....imagine getting boxed out by that booty....it looks like a kids jumping castle !!

Reply #337555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if the kings agreed people would be complaining its just making a spectacle and can they afford the costs yada, etc, they said no and its still a problem. some are never happy no matter what you try.

Reply #337556 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

WOW, it would have been interesting to see if he did play, surely Ratszch could be call out for 1 week 'injured' while Odom has a game,

but as said above it depends on attitude, fitness, etc as to if it would be worth it, and only insiders would know those answers.

Reply #337557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.hahasport.com/v-2/12/46/v-324798.html

Reply #337558 | Report this post

The Special 1  
Years ago

good call Sydney. I think even though it would be great for the game in Australia it would unsettle teams if all teams did it on a regular basis

Reply #337561 | Report this post

Chuck Norris  
Years ago

good call Sydney. I think even though it would be great for the game in Australia it would unsettle teams if all teams did it on a regular basis

Reply #337562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah great call. The Kings got spanked by the Tigers tonight and once again their imports did SFA.

Reply #337570 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:08 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754