AMAZIN
Years ago

Should the NBL bring in trading.

I think it will make the nbl a lot more exciting and improve a lot of teams.
If so what deals do you think will be made. post your thoughts

Topic #26729 | Report this topic

Little Zip Zip  
Years ago

No.

19yo Joe Rookie playing for home town team in Adelaide for $37k living with parents, gets traded to Sydney.. How does he afford to live there?

Reply #337488 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

I think it's ridiculous there is no "official' trading period in the NBL.

It would provide a burst of interest into the league - whenever the period is held. There would be increased media coverage and teams would have a chance to improve themselves and deal with any "unknowns' that may have popped up during the season, eg injuries etc.

There is actually nothing stopping teams trading now with the current laws of the NBL. It just isn't used or understood.

Reply #337491 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

No, would turn the league into a circus

Reply #337492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ineedmore there is something stopping teams from trading, its called the players.

Read Little Zip Zip's comment and explain to me how trading in the NBL would work.

Reply #337497 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

League doesn't have the size, nor the financial stability for it to work.

Reply #337503 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Dont think it would really work too well at the moment for the NBL.

Kinda related question though.
Shouldn't the salary cap increase to at least meet inflation each season? or will they wait 5 years and then add 100k on?

Reply #337513 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

My wages don't go up each year despite inflation so why should a guys who gets paid to play a game he loves

Reply #337515 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

If the price of living increases each year and you dont get a pay rise at least in line with inflation then you are actually getting less in relation to cost of living each year. Time to look for a new job?

Hm maybe this is a different topic..

Reply #337522 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think if both clubs and both players agree, why not? As long as you can set up some sort of independent system where players cant be hassled into saying yes.

Reply #337523 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

I could be wrong but I think there might be a built-in "buffer' in the salary cap regarding the cost of living in different cities. I believe this applies to other sports.

The system would have to supported by the players of course and this should be done through the Player's Union.

But once agreed upon I think it would be great for the sport. There's not too many high profile sports than I can think of that don't have a trading system in place, so many professional organisations and their players, see a benefit in it.

I'm prepared to be corrected on this but I believe in the NBA a player can refuse to turn up to the team that has acquired him, therefore nullifying the trade.

Reply #337532 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

ineedmore - I assume you mean it would be good for the league, rather than the sport? Trading is about the NBL specifically - its business policies and practices - not the sport of basketball.

Any benefits for the sport would be incidental and related to the public's awareness and attitudes towards basketball, as seen through the lens of NBL (media) coverage.

Whether it's good for the NBL, I doubt it. But it might be fun to get fans to speculate on what trades they think their teams should make mid season. That would be a fun thread to read. :)

Reply #337539 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

if there's a trading rule, at least Cairns can get cash money in return for losing their 3 pieces???

seriously, no it won't work the league is not big enough for it. btw if a player is to play interstate accommodation has to be covered

Reply #337546 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

maybe in certain situations eg.melb makes a bid for three of cairns (potential) starters should they be forced to trade because of the amount of players???

b.lewis,l.walker and maybe t.greer would have been a fair(ish) trade.(for tigers)

Reply #337547 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I think that while we have some good talent in this league, the sport isn't big enough in the league to turn players into "Household names" like a lot of major sports do.

Because of this, even if it was financially viable to do trading in the league, I don't think anyone but the die-hard fans would care.

Part of the enjoyment of "trading" is the impact it has on the sport and how the fanbase react. While we may see someone like Shawn Redhage being traded to Melbourne as a big deal and a massive impact on Perth; if you try to advertise that to the general public, you're not going to get a reaction unless people in general know who he is.

If you get the Financial backing to make trading viable, then good. But you honestly need the NBL to become a top tier competition again before trading will offer entertainment level impact as well as league impact.

Reply #337549 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

to fulfil the other side of the original question. I would trade

Sixers Trading Block
Herbert
Ng

Who would be a reasonable trade helping out both teams

Reply #337559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To have trading in the NBL, first you would have to have a draft and I dont see that happening any time soon. Currently it is simply a case of players signing a contract for one or more seasons and at the end of the contract, the equivalency of free agency results.

The Australian Rugby League and the Soccer's A-League both work the same way as the NBL although both these sports allow players coming out of contract to negotiate and sign new contracts before the current season is over.

Ushiro

Reply #337560 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:57 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754