MK
Years ago

NBL time bumped again???

just checked the time nbl is on tonight and tomorrow...1~3am!!! oh yeah with a replay on tuesday and wednesday 10~12. who the hell be watching that!

Topic #26733 | Report this topic

Hoopa  
Years ago

What da hell with that? who are these clowns running this station? Replays of cops instead of nbl...fark

Reply #337605 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

They are purposely doing this so the NBL says its not worth it and tears up the contract. Try ABC?

Reply #337607 | Report this post

sik of one HD  
Years ago

Cant believe that the game that is most played by Australian youth is on TV at 1am. My kids have been playing and training all day and all they want to see is a game.

Dont get me wrong I love Steve and Drewy's commentary, the highlights and some incredible players listed in NBL this season, but with the NBA lock out their is a huge opportunity to break into the market and ONE HD are shooting themselves in the foot. We are not just a footy and rugby nation.

Big games, huge market, huge opening and you missed it.

Godam just look at some of the NIKE clips on you tube and you will see how well produced Basketball can be.

Reply #337609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok so this week Motogp is on sat and sunday.
Next friday its back to 10 30 and next saturday its 12 30 again due to formula one.

Hopefully it is just temporary

Reply #337610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the contract required them to show it within 3 hours of the game commencing - is the NBL doing anything about this?

Reply #337611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need boti to start ripping into OneHD in his column, NBL be better off back on fox especially with fox deals now and everyone will have it for the footy season anyway

Reply #337612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

noone watched it on fox. better off with a bad fta deal.

Reply #337616 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

NBL needs to not bother with any tv deal an put their games on the net like a NBA league pass, an yeah its pretty obvious ONE is making sure the NBL gets bad ratings this yr so they can cancel their contract at the end of the year, why they pay to record an commentate it then not show it at a decent time is insane, that being said im still watchin it.

Reply #337618 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Putting games on Foxtel limits its audience because deals or not, not everyone can afford PayTV or will want to, not while they are getting decent entertainment on Free View. At least on FTA everyone can watch provided they have a digital TV or HD box.

The game was bumped to an early morning slot because One has a contract to show F1 and MotoGP qualifying and races live. They paid big money to be able to get the live feeds and they aren't going to bump it for the NBL and as the NBL isn't a live telecast in 2011-12 I can understand OneHD bumping the game. We may not like it but its a fact of corporate TV life.

Reply #337619 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

I've said it before but I'll say it again, if they are going to be douches and play games at midnight at least replay the games on Sat and Sunday mornings. The friday Tigers v Kings game was replayed Sat morning and it was great. I'm a crocs fan and coundn't care less my team wasn't playing, I just want to see quality ball at a reasonable time.

Reply #337622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be a lot better back on fox - most people aren't watching it at the hour it's replayed so put it on live so it can be enjoyed by those with fox.

Reply #337626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL could lose a lot of sponsors if it went back to Fox. Just no benefit to the sponsors of one or two games a week on fox with miniscule ratings. What they have now is far from perfect, but at least they can say they have a combined average viewing audience of around 3mill (more if the current ratings continue) in Aus and NZ across the season.

The last year on Fox it supposedly wasnt even close to 1mill. So unless Fox are offering a much much better package than they were giving in their last few years there is little advantage really.

Being on ONE might end up hurting the league, but at worst it would just take it back to where it was on Fox.

Reply #337630 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Oops, that was me, forgot to write name again.

Reply #337633 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Here is a pretty good right up on the subject by a Journalism student

Why the NBL probably wont stand up to network ten

Reply #337640 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

I think the article implies why One's trying to piss off the league???

Reply #337649 | Report this post

Borough  
Years ago

I've given up on the basketball this season due to the coverage. Following an out of market team (Sydney) in Melbourne means I can't see any live games this season. Had a membership last year but I didn't bother to renew it due to the tv coverage. Going to the games at the Cage isn't an option as the Melbourne Tigers say don't drive, take public transport due to limited parking. Ohh for the days of the Dragons down at Melbourne Park.

Reply #337657 | Report this post

Schlanky  
Years ago

I think the NBL schedule should have been changed so that games could be shown at 1pm-6pm.

One/Ten would be more likely to bump shows like iFish etc during the afternoon than their primetime shows.

Reply #337660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed 100%. Unfortunately One made out like they were going to show them at 7.30 and then changed their mind late.

Reply #337662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone explain to me why we have a league again?!

Reply #337665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys pleading it to go back to Fox have no idea. A) We are just giving Murdoch/Packer what they wanted all along and B) ratings are still much higher on One then on Fox.

We should fight it out, get the ratings up and make them show it earlier.

Where is the fight in some of you blokes?

Reply #337695 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Makes me think back to the thread where it was discussed the benefit of one live game every week or three or four delayed.

There were good points for both sides, but now with burying the games at these ridiculous times that one live game sounds even better - for the sport.

Reply #337715 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

God, I wish NBL was shown on ABC. They do an awesome job with WNBL!
This whole situation with 1HD has become a joke. The intended "sports" channel idea has clearly been scrapped.
Long term the NBL needs to be on FTA but at 1am?? Although not ideal, being on Fox would be much better if this is the case.

Reply #337720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being on Fox would not be much better, the data speaks for itself...ratings of 60,000 versus 6,000 nationally? Even the late Sunday night games get 19,000.

Plus all the sponsors the NBL will lose.

As for one live game a week, I'm sure fans in markets like Perth would love going to a 9am Sunday morning game.

The NBL lovers out there, need to fight to get it on earlier on TEN. They want the NBL to break the contract, but at the end of the day they will have to show five live games a week soon at a production cost of $250,000. They will eventually have to crack and show games earlier.

Reply #337731 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Production costs are well below $50K per game I think. Were approx $30K last year I think and have been cut back quite a bit this year.

Reply #337747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read in an article not long ago production costs are $50K per game.

btw the NBL doesn't get 60,000 in ratings that was for just the season opener since then it's been about 25,000 at best.

Reply #337753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still better than 6,000 on fox.

Reply #337757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allegedly, never seen evidence of that.

Reply #337761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was quoted somewhere a while back from multiple official sources.

On the flip side I have seen no official evidence that Fox ever reached 60,000 viewers in it's last season, or even close to 20,000 as the NBL telecast's seem to average now.

Reply #337762 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The article was wrong as far as I know re production costs. The highest ever Fox game was 56,000, game five of the 08 grand final series.

Reply #337763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Foxtel's best ever can't beat a FTA 11:30pm in October.

For me, it seems like it's best to stick with One and force their hand to eventually show the game at a decent time.

Paul, what was the Fox average viewership in their final year?

Reply #337766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It was quoted somewhere a while back from multiple official sources."

Got a link? Never seen one.

Reply #337767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Industry sources said Ten paid about $3 million for the deal. The network will also pay production costs estimated to average $50,000 a game.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/basketball-scores-free-tv-return-with-ten/story-e6frg8zx-1225846162224

Reply #337770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No link mate as at work, too risky to look for too long. It's out there somewhere. But on the flip side I would love to see someone produce evidence to back up their arguements that we should swap from One.

Paul, you seem to be in the know, can someone confirm what the foxtel numbers were like in their final season?

Reply #337772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Official links mate not what Paul thinks.

Reply #337774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate, look it up yourself if you think Foxtel is better for the sport. If you can prove to me Foxtel is better than the numbers out there now for One, would love to see it change back.

Reply #337778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is saying the ratings at the end were better on Fox than One (although Saturday nights Hawks @ Wildcats game only got 15,000) I just don't think cherrypicking the absolute worst numbers on Fox (supposedly 6,000 but no confirmation) vs the average of what One gets (about 20,000-25,000) does anyone any favours.

FYI, some of the worst figures on One so far this season are 13,000 (R1-Breakers at Hawks), 15,000 (Saturday nights game) and 19,000 (R2-Taipans at Crocs).

Reply #337785 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No links I am afraid. The last couple of years at Fox apparently averaged in four figures. The first game of the 09/10 season rated around 7000.

Reply #337786 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BTW, I believe that 7000 figure came from a Boti article which stated the average figure for last season's first game (72,000) was ten times that of the year before.

Reply #337788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scroll up, people are saying that the game will be better off on Fox, which by implication means figures were better.

Reply #337804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think you can infer that.

Some people think it would be better off on Fox live at 7pm, especially now with the potential for pay tv growth due to Fox getting the rights to show every AFL game live as opposed to being on at 1am on a FTA channel that clearly wants out of it's contract with the NBL.

Reply #337807 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think if Fox were willing to give a strong, long term commitment (ie 4 live games a week (not near live!!!) for 5 years plus a highlights show and a chat show, with the league to have input on production values) you could make a case that the NBL would be better off.

But Fox instead were giving 1-2 games a week with poor production values and no extra shows in their final years, and didnt seem interested in big long term commitment.

With the lack of other interest, One is the best place for the NBL right now, and the ratings are still better than any time since the ABC days. It isnt the time to jump ship, even if it is taking on a bit of water.

Reply #337810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Iceberg! What iceberg? Full steam ahead.

Reply #337849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those FTA ratings are dodgy, who has those TV boxes? I find it hard to believe ONEHD had such bad ratings as a sport channel, i reckon they would have been stronger in reality and maybe enough to give Ten the reason to keep it a sport channel.

To be honest i also find it hard to believe 20,000 or so people are watching 10:30PM or 1AM NBL matches on ONE.

Reply #337875 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:03 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754