Anonymous
Years ago

Stop the flop Patty

I'm sick of seeing Patty Mills flop in each and every game and he will continue to do it when these refs allow it and call an offensive. These refs need to either let it go or like that one ref in the game vs NZ and call a tech on him.
Patty's better than this and it's frustrating to see him flopping all the time.

Topic #26743 | Report this topic

cavolo  
Years ago

has anyone got any vision of it as I've read a number of people saying how bad it was?

Reply #337712 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's not just Patty, it's a lot of players around the league who just 'plank' and flop on minor contact and get rewarded.

I would like to know how the league lets refs continue to call so many wrong and iffy and charges - some simple direction from above would change things instantly. It has been happening for years and takes away from the spectacle.

Reply #337716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aaron bruce is a bigger culprit of flopping

Reply #337721 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Darren Flopp"NG" is the worst by far end of story

Reply #337722 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Agree, the refs need to stamp it out and Techs are the way to stop it.
Also this season refs seem to call goal tending anytime there is even a smidgen of doubt about a block and then on replay it looks pretty legit yet the points have been given. It removes one of the great aspects of the game, hard defense.

Reply #337724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcYuW5Vgiso

Reply #337725 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Thanks for the vision anon. That was so bad!! How is it even physiologically possible to flop from the side has Patty did once Wilson was driving past him!?!

Would love to know the name of the ref who made that call - will it be like AFL where they're dropped for the next round? ;P

Even the Gaze Master was saying it was a bad call, and it's hard at the best of time for Gazey to commit to giving his opinion in a black and white way, especially when it comes to his beloved Tiggers!!

That's a sad state of affairs for the NBL refs and the refs dept to be churning out stuff like that...

(on a good side note, it gets people talking about the game, but unfortunately not for the best reasons!)

Reply #337726 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Crosswell . Looks like we'll get twenty-four named as the biggest floppers.

Reply #337727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Madgen is up there with the best of the floppers.

Reply #337728 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yeah but Mills has been taking it to a whole new level lately.

Reply #337729 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

After seeing a few tigers games an espec last nights, there are definetly 'patty' rules. He gets away with a fair bit if it was any other players they'd get called for alot more fouls.

Even during last nights scuffles when patty charges in on Loughton, any other player would have got a tech for that an when he grabbed Wilson by the jersey.

Reply #337730 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The NBL needs to fine him for last night because other players may flop in the league but they get a bump first.

The Tech given in Aust v NZ game was an awesome way to police this. However Cairns can feel hard done by because Mills (the referee) called two phantom flops last night. The first one on Loughton with walker on the low block (no elbow involved at all). The second call with Patty.

Everyone watching the game knew that Patty would except the referee. They need to stamp it out. Two ways of doing it:
1. You call the tech for flopping.
2. You get Jacob Holmes or Shawn Redhage to steamroll him, and make a no-call. Then when and if he finally gets up, you just say I thought you flopped.

Reply #337732 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

how has CJ not been mentioned , that guy has mastered the art of flopping on both ends of the court.

One of my favourite Darnell moments was him standing over the top of CJ after being called for a charge and saying " stand the f*ck up you pussy."

Reply #337733 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Muzz Buzz, I mentioned CJ in the other thread.
CJ is the master of exaggerating the contact, not flopping. Big difference between the two.

Reply #337734 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

@mystro cant see how you can differentiate the two. Flopping is exactly that hyper exaggeration of minimal contact.

Reply #337736 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

looks like he is trying to hump him...

weird that he was feeling floppy afterwards, looked quite into it...

Reply #337737 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

FM, you obviously did not watch the game.

Loughton gave Walker a massive elbow square in the jaw!

The whole north end were about to riot when it initially looked to be let go by the ref on the baseline, then luckily the far sideline ref made the call.

Let me give you an elbow to the jaw and tell you it was phantom!

Reply #337738 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Im pretty sick of the Patty Mills hate on this forum, are you guys just a little bit envious of him or what. I hate flopping but its a Referee problem, the players would be getting told by their coaches to go down.

"Loughton gave Walker a massive elbow square in the jaw!"

Mate you need to watch the replay of this one..there was not contact at ALL with the guys jaw. Really need to watch the replay cause wow you got this call wrong.

Reply #337740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@FM and Skud ..... the angle the ref on the sideline had (the ref who made the call), it looked lilke Walker copped it..... perhaps the overruled (no call) ref actually saw there was no contact so he let it go...

But based on the way Loughton acted/reacted with Greer earlier in the game, perhaps the refs had an closer eye on him...

Poor reffing in a lot of areas, but certainly no worse than the Taipans shooting

Reply #337741 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

One afternoon in November , a girl standing with the ball did a step fake and the guard flopped. No contact at all and called an offensive foul.
I had to turn ABC TV off.

Reply #337744 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bruton doesnt flop defensively so much, but he has a severe case of the Navarros at the offensive end!

Once again, if the refereeing wasnt so charge-inclined Patty wouldnt flop. He is just making a smart play at the moment because he either gets a charge or gets away with it.

The Wilson charge last night was close to the worst call in NBL history. Tim Mills then called a tech. Sadly, he'll be reffing next week despite making poor calls like this for years.

Reply #337745 | Report this post

Rog  
Years ago

I think flopping needs to be defined here.

I don't have any problems what so ever with players getting hit in the chest and flopping to the ground to get the call.

Flopping to the ground when there is no contact, or extremely minor contact, is what should be frowned upon.

Generally, I think the players mentioned do the first, more acceptable, flop.

Reply #337746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The skuds back, noiw he is defending Patty while undermining the coach, You a tool!

Reply #337749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was a shit ref when I called, and even I wouldnt have called that a charge. At best it was a no call, if you had to call something, it was clearly a block, as the offensive player was at least level with Mills if not past him.

Bad, bad call.

Reply #337755 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

I'm sorry, a flopping thread with only one mention of Sean Redhage needs to be corrected.

Still the worst flopper in the league by a fair way. Good try though Patty.

Reply #337756 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I don't think the way to go about addressing the 'flop' is to call a tech foul.

Firstly, the referees need to get the charge/block call correct. It is hard enough for a ref to establish this rule, without adding the consequence of a tech for a flop. It's another split second decision referees will be forced to make and another they will get wrong.

Secondly, the defensive player is at a disadvantage when he flops. If the referee lets the play go with a no call, as he should if the defender flops, the team's defense is at a 4 on 5 disadvantage. Surely the players are going to get it through their head that everytime they flop to the floor, defensively they are undermanned.

For example, in the Patty Mills footage above, Patty flops and falls to the ground as Wilson blows by him. Had the correct decision been made and the play allowed to continue, Patty looks like even more of an idiot and Cairns have a 5 on 4 for a few seconds. The referee has made 1 decision over 1 call.

Surely, if the referees can work on getting the charge call correct in the first place, players will quit making themselves look like idiots by consistently falling on the floor for no calls.

Reply #337760 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

williamson in perth

Reply #337769 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"The skuds back, noiw he is defending Patty while undermining the coach, You a tool!"

I love my fans..I never new my comments were undermining the coach though!!! WoW the players really listen to me even though I dont know them...Dumbass

Reply #337776 | Report this post

opt  
Years ago

kirk penny was the worst flopper by far last season.
I really wish they would address the issue and tech them all.

Reply #337780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they need to get rid of guards flopping in the post. If they are switched onto a big they need to man up. part of the game. obviously is the big steam rolls him than different story but when the big guy is just regularly backing him down then they shouldnt reward flops

Reply #337783 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Couldnt agree more about guards flopping against big guys. Reward strength and athleticism, dont punish it.

Reply #337811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a big fan of Patty's game and enjoy watching him play, but the flopping needs to be addressed. I even remember a few St Marys games where he flopped pretty badly.
The refs are the only ones who are going to stamp it out and they need to let go of the whistle and let them play through. Once the player doesn't get the call, they will then adjust their play.

Reply #337827 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree Anon, after a couple of no calls and the floppers team getting punished with points on the board, his team will soon sort him out if the player can't work it out.

Reply #337862 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think the bigger issue here is just how much contact is allowed in the backcourt in the NBL. It's not just hand-checking, sometimes it's blatant slapping that goes un-called. So you have guys on defense slapping the shit out of everyone, and then flopping once the offensive player speeds up to try to get past. It makes it very difficult for the offensive guard to bring the ball up. So most offensive sets start with only fourteen or so seconds on the clock, resulting in rushed possessions.

Reply #337863 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

Pfft, the "flop" of P. Mills should have been a no call or a foul on him. It's not his fault that the ref T. Mills wasn't good enough to make the correct decision.

Reply #337907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just saw the replay of Cairns V Melb on One HD and I have to say that the flop by Patty was close to the worst flop I have ever seen, how the ref called a charge on that is completely beyond me. I lost considerable respect for Patty on that play alone and I would have lost respect for the refs if I had any in the first place.

Reply #337914 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Patty would make an excellent soccer player

Reply #337915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another angle of Patty's monster flop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAEXvzrnU34#t=00m44s

Should get warned by the NBL next time he'll get fined or suspended, one of the worst flops I've ever seen in basketball.

Reply #337925 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

When you watch from the start you can clearly hear the ref tell Mills "No knees" which he then uses again twice more before the flop happens.
Surely if the ref has warned him for it once already in the sequence it should be called.

About 25secs into the latest video, Gaze makes the point that "he should be called for the knee right there"

Pretty disappointed in the flopping that I have seen so far this season...

Reply #337937 | Report this post

Frosby Flip  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulh_UUSt3jY&feature=related

I think he got his technique perfect on this one...

Reply #337942 | Report this post

Disgraceful call, disgraceful flop. Both the Mills should hang their heads in shame!

Reply #337943 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

I love right before it happened, You could hear Wilson complaining about Patty getting away with pushing him constantly, the ref replied "just stay away from him" - if that's not proof that he's getting preferential treatment I dunno what is!

Sorry Patty, I'm a big fan - but you lost some serious respect with that flop, I thought I was watching a soccer match!

Reply #337980 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

AK-47, I still think you need to consider a tech there to try and scrub out the practice. Taking some contact and letting yourself fall is one thing, but this one was pretty blatant. Mills had decided he was going to flop well in advance. To then himself cheer that result is pretty awful in this context.

Reply #338009 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"That was quite clearly an instance when a charge should not have been called on the offensive player," an NBL spokesperson said. “We haven't been happy with how the points of emphasis in regards to charging or flopping have been called over the first five rounds, and that one call in particular in the Cairns-Melbourne game really highlighted the need for better consistency.”

Reply #338040 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:28 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754