LC
Years ago

Gold Coast Secures 2018 Commonwealth Games

The winning bid city to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games was this morning announced as being the Gold coast!

Why am I posting this on a basketball themed thread you may ask, well the Gold Coast bid also included the reinstatement of basketball as one of the sports to be played!

The Gold Coast beat Sri Lanka's Hambantota for the right to host the games.

This will be a great oppportunity to see the Aussie Men and Women play at home, and hopefully against quality NZ, Canadian and English (in the men) opposition.

Topic #26781 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Reply #338454 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I might even get a trip to the GC to cover the bball tourny. That is great news!!

Reply #338460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sengstock has found his next job ?

Reply #338462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The commonwealth games is nothing short of a joke, sorry. How can entry into a sporting tournament be based on whether the British either attempted to invade or successfully invaded another land.

The over-success of Australia at these events also adds to the absurdity of the games.

If it was an Asian games I'd be much more interested.

Reply #338483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon above don't be such a hater. I shall be there enjoying myself.

Reply #338487 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Nigeria is a member state dont forget. they could easily send a competetive basketball team.

Reply #338488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Basketball is being played in North Queensland
Men's at Cairns Convention Centre
Women's at Townsville Entertainment and Convention Centre

link: http://goldcoast2018bid.com/content/Standard2.asp?name=Sporting-Venues

Reply #338490 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The finals would be played at the Gold Coast Sports Arena located at the Southport Broadwater Parklands.

Reply #338492 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

This is gonna be shambles. The place can't even run an Indy weekend or V8 weekend that well, how can they expect this to be any better

Reply #338493 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:22 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754